Best Thread Interactive Brokers

where the slippage occured, Dax and Eurostoxx, could have sent a courier pidgeon and got filled quicker. still you live and learn.

Craig

where the slippage occured, Dax and Eurostoxx, could have sent a courier pidgeon and got filled quicker. still you live and learn.

Craig
Your problem isn't IB, it's the fact that you don't understand how the markets work, you need to read a book on market microstructure, how pricing works, and how orders are filled. If you understood all that you would realise that slippage is as natural and normal as getting a boner in the morning, and you would also know whenand how to enter and exit to minimise this.

Why does everyone blame their broker rather than realisng they themselves are at fault?

It is not a question of slippage due to price movement, you are correct that is a natural cost of doing business.

You have assumed from the few words I wrote, that I have a limited understanding of the markets. This may or may not be true but I do know one thing, that the friend of mine sat next to me at the time DOES definately have a good understanding of the markets.

My issue is the speed of the platform or Fruit Machine as my friend calls it. On the IB system you can see when the order has been accepted by the system, it is the order acceptance speed at times of market movement that is one of my issues with IB.

If I lift the market to get out of a position. ie hit a market order, I do not expect TWS to spend a few seconds mulling it over, like wise I also realise that the IB system will not be as quick as a direct to exchange system, But speed differences should be measured in milliseconds, not seconds. Lets face it a market order is a market order, it doesnt que it goes in at the bid.

In hind sight IB is not the place to be day trading futures.

That aside, I am a customer with an account at IB, whatever the size of the account I want someone at the end of the phone who gives a damn about my problems. If I have taken the trouble to make an international call to their help desk (usually because the on line chat takes over 30 mins to connect) I want the person to HELP me. If we find it is my mistake or the problem is at my end thats fine.

Maybe next time Virtuos0, it maake be prudent for you to ask a few more questions of a poster prior to making assumptions about their experience. the number of posts doesn't always reflect their experience

I also realise that the IB system will not be as quick as a direct to exchange system
IB is direct market access so how are you going to get better than direct market access as a retail client ?

For many it is a perfect solution for day-trading futures but I guess it depends on which futures you trade

Paul

It is not a question of slippage due to price movement, you are correct that is a natural cost of doing business.

You have assumed from the few words I wrote, that I have a limited understanding of the markets. This may or may not be true but I do know one thing, that the friend of mine sat next to me at the time DOES definately have a good understanding of the markets.

My issue is the speed of the platform or Fruit Machine as my friend calls it. On the IB system you can see when the order has been accepted by the system, it is the order acceptance speed at times of market movement that is one of my issues with IB.

If I lift the market to get out of a position. ie hit a market order, I do not expect TWS to spend a few seconds mulling it over, like wise I also realise that the IB system will not be as quick as a direct to exchange system, But speed differences should be measured in milliseconds, not seconds. Lets face it a market order is a market order, it doesnt que it goes in at the bid.

That aside, I am a customer with an account at IB, whatever the size of the account I want someone at the end of the phone who gives a damn about my problems. If I have taken the trouble to make an international call to their help desk (usually because the on line chat takes over 30 mins to connect) I want the person to HELP me. If we find it is my mistake or the problem is at my end thats fine.

Maybe next time Virtuos0, it maake be prudent for you to ask a few more questions of a poster prior to making assumptions about their experience. the number of posts doesn't always reflect their experience
I would never claim that IB are perfect, but from a retail perspective I do not believe there is a superior option. If I get a bad fill I don't assume IB is out to get me or even that there is necessarily a problem. If you want better you may need to look at getting a prop desk!

I agree that there customer service is awful, but you can't expect such a large organisation to give you as much attention as a small organisation, tis always the way in any business. The tradeoff is that you have the security of knowing that you're funds are as safe as they can be. From my perspective I would rather spend a few frustrated hours trying to contact customer service than have some tiddly broker go belly up and disappear with my hard-earned.

IB is a bit like the B&Q diy superstore...it expects its' customers to have a basic understanding of whatever it is they wish to do before they come in the door/open an account.
IB is not for the inexperienced

How do you trade SETSqx stocks using Interactive Brokers' Trader Workstation? e.g. Minerva (MNR@LSE)

According to docs at the LSE (google for "SETSqx") - trades on the order book only get settled at 8am, 11am, 3pm and 4:35pm - which means having bought stock on the order book, you have to wait several hours before you're able to sell them... which is damn useless. (There's no such thing as a 'market order' for SETSqx...)

(I think) Market-makers provie the bulk of the buy/sell activity for SETSqx stocks, so I guess I've overlooked some basic feature of Trader Workstation to grab quotes and execute trades through a Market-Maker? How do I do that?

Which is the best contract to trade Gold and Silver at IB?

Thinking of setting up my IB account with Ninjatrader, anyone else do this? Good or bad reports?
Would I be able to trade all instruments through Ninjatrader?

Samuel

Thinking of setting up my IB account with Ninjatrader, anyone else do this? Good or bad reports?

Samuel

IB probably won't be able to help here.:)

Samuel

I consider using NinjaTrader or PT MultiStation (PT MultiStation trading terminal: connection to Interactive Brokers) for automated trading.

IB offers TWS API. This solution looks not so professional since TWS must be open all the time and TWS has AutoLogoff function which automatically closes app every day.

IB also offers CTCI FIX protocol, where any additional client software does not need to be open:
http://institutions.interactivebrokers.com/en/p.php?f=programInterface&p=a&ib_entity=inst

But I don't know if any trading platform uses this protocol?

What are others solution to trade IB instruments in automated trading manner?

Trader Workstation release notes (build 898)

The enhancements and modifications below are in build 898 of TWS. To identify the build number, on the TWS Help menu select About Trader Workstation.

Trading Tools
ScaleTrader Scale Summary
A new ScaleTrader page has been added to the Page menu. This page displays the order management section including all fields for creating scale orders, along with a new Scale Summary panel on the top half of the page. The Scale Summary shows one line for each original parent scale, and provides real-time status including filled and total quantity, filled, remaining, and total value, and the percent filled for each scale. To create this page, from the Page menu select Create ScaleTrader Page.

The ScaleTrader has also been enhanced as follows:

The Total Order Size field has been renamed Maximum Position. This value applies only to the position of the active scale order.

The addition of a Status section at the bottom right of the page, which displays the size of your filled position and the latest Buy price and Sell price for the active scale order. These scale Bid and Ask fields have also been added to the Summary section of the ScaleTrader page. The Position field will be shaded to represent the percent of the Maximum Position that has been filled.

A set of three new buttons, Start, Stop and Dismiss (Close). Use the Start and Stop buttons to start and stop the scale algo. Use Dismiss to close down the ScaleTrader window (the algo will continue to run).

The addition of “Hours” as a time interval for the auto price adjustment feature. Previously only seconds and minutes were offered.

OptionTrader Loads Single-Side Chains
The OptionTrader now displays chains for options that have only a single side. For example, many Brazilian strikes have either a call or put, but not both. Previously only chains that included both a call and put side could be loaded.

Icons Provide Links to Options and FX Commentary
Users can now quickly access the Options Commentary and the FX View from the OptionTrader and FXTrader tools respectively, using the new toolbar buttons. These reports are published daily on the IB web site, and comprise current market statistics from the TWS market scanners along with insightful commentary written by our own senior market analyst Andrew Wilkinson.

Orders and Trades
Auto-Adjust Algo Order Dates
A new setting on the Orders configuration page allows you to instruct TWS to automatically modify the start or end time (or both) for algo orders that use a date which will result in a cancelled order. For example, VWAP orders submitted after the close will automatically be adjusted to be held and submitted at the open of the next trading day using the Start From time defined by the user. This feature is automatically enabled. To disable the auto adjust time feature, on the Orders configuration page deselect the Auto Adjust Algo Times checkbox.

Midpoint Offset Added to Update Orders Feature
The Update Orders feature now includes the Bid/Ask Midpoint as a selection for the limit price offset, along with the Bid, Ask, Last, None, and Parent Order Choice. To use the Update Orders feature, from the Orders menu select Update Orders.

Realtime Charts and Data
Hide Pivot Point Indicator Lines
The Pivot Points study adds many horizontal lines to a chart, and previously the only way to remove any of these lines was to remove the entire indicator. The user can now select and hide specific lines within the study without having to remove the entire indictor using the right-click menu to select Hide Indicator.

Set Alerts from Within a Chart
Use the right-click menu within a chart to select Add Alert. Click the price that you want to activate the alert, and use the Alerts dialog to specify alert conditions. First, define the price conditions. Next, define the actions to be taken when the price condition is met. Specify the duration of the alert and review the alert in the Preview box. Click Activate to set the alert on the underlying. Alerts are labeled on the chart. To change where the alert label is shown, use the Settings page in Chart configuration and set the Alert label at: feature in the Layout section.

Other changes to charts include:

When adding a custom time period to a chart using the Time Period field, you must now select Enter custom, and then add the time period to the pink field.

When charting a contract on an exchange with a close time that is NOT a multiple of the selected bar size, the last bar at the close did not fully display. For example, if trading ends at 16:15 and the bar is a two-minute bar, since 2 is not a multiple of 15 the bar would be cut off. This has been fixed.

An issue that resulted in disappearing trendlines when the setting to Share trend lines among charts was checked has been fixed.

A new setting in the Charts setting page allows you to specify where to put the labels on Fibonacci lines. In the Layout section, select Fibonacci label at: Left, Middle or Right.

The Ignored Daily Interval feature was not working correctly when the specified interval was two days. This has been fixed.

ScaleTrader charts have been modified to display the Time & Sales window when the user selects Time & Sales. Previously the cursor changed modes and no window was displayed.

NEW

IB's state-of-the-art iTWS provides electronic access to your IB account from your iPhoneTM. iTWS lets you enter and manage orders, view executions, monitor your account balance - all from your iPhone!

With iTWS, you can:

-View real-time streaming market data.
-Trade stocks, options and futures worldwide.
-Take advantage of our SmartRoutingTM technology, which searches for the best price available at the time of your order and dynamically routes and re-routes all or part of your order to achieve optimal execution.
-Monitor your trades.
-Monitor account information.
-Manage your portfolio.

Available on the APP Store

It's a shame I have to use an earlier version with NinjaTrader and I only have a Windows Mobile phone!

Did you know...

Traders' University offers a series of FREE Flash based courses designed to provide basic trading product knowledge. Unlike traditionally static book or seminar based trading courses, our courses are interactive and allow you to see first hand how your inputs affect the outputs. We encourage you to dive in and play, as that is the best way to learn the theory behind trading products.

In addition to our Flash based courses we offer downloadable Widget and Gadget Trading Tools that you can add to your desktop. Novice and experienced traders alike should feel free to download our free desktop applications and use them to help evaluate your everyday trading.

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/p.php?f=tradersuniversity&ib_entity=llc

Interactive Brokers,

If I could connect with you through CTCI FIX instead of TWS API - will I have the same functionality and prices?

The IBGateway client allows for FIX CTCI connections to IB over the Internet. It is a piece of software that acts as a bridge between your FIX engine and IB. The software can also be used in place of TWS to deliver market data, using the same protocols as the Trader Workstation APIs. In this scenario, you do not need to have TWS running to get API market data. IBGateway Software and the Users' Guide can be found by clicking the buttons at the bottom of the page. To find the Request Market Data API method click here.

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/p.php?f=programInterface&ib_entity=uk