Best Thread Interactive Brokers

Thank you for your interest, but unfortunately we cannot comment to much regarding future business developments because we do not want to give to much away to our competitors.

Please stay tuned. If so, I will try to let you know once we have a definite public disclosure on the subject.

That's understandable, the reason I ask is that I have been patiently waiting with monies held in a protected rights pension fund which is very restrictive on investment choices. The safest choice within the scheme is their cash fund and as the base currency is in sterling I'm keen to either get it to work or position it in a stronger currency. I have the choice to move it to my exisiting SIPP where there is a little more choice but decided to wait for the IB structure.

I am concerned about the rapid decline in sterling so if you can make any comment which would be helpful please do so.

Moving to IB

Hello

I am considering moving to IB but seen lots of bad comments about their customer service. As long as their internet platform is good, then I can probably live with their customer service (?).

What I really want to know is this: as a UK customer, what level of protection will I have? In this current credit crunch anything could and can happen and I don't want to see my money dissapear.

I will be moving from ETrade and OptionsXpress - not because they are bad (in fact I love OX) but because I want to convert my $ to £ bofore it is too late!

Please keep replies relevant.

I also have been trying to open Interactive account but now have waited almost three weeks to confirm about transferring money into account. I am quite concerned about customer service as have no response to several phone calls and emails.(n).

I also have been trying to open Interactive account but now have waited almost three weeks to confirm about transferring money into account. I am quite concerned about customer service as have no response to several phone calls and emails.(n).

Hi Borriss

Thanks for replying so quickly. What you have just said is very worrying. Sadly, I don't think your are the only person with this experience after reading various comments about IB.

I think I will save myself the headache and stick my (UK) broker SelfTrade. I will sorely miss optionsXpress and ETrade - only if they offered good sterling accounts.

Best of luck

IB customer service is fine. Its just that this is a very complex business so the CS reps frequently don't have all the knowledge you need. For really tricky questions you will often get a quicker answer here.

If it takes 3 weeks to transfer money into an account there is some sort of (serious) problem. When I've transferred in or out it has sometimes happened the same day.

If you want to know what level of protection you have then either read IB's website or search this thread ... the question has been answered many times before and people probably can't be bothered responding to someone who isn't doing the work.

If you are put off by this problem though its probably better for other IB customers if you stay with SelfTrade.

I am thus pleased that you won't be creating any extra workload for IB's customer service. Better they focus on the rest of us for now. Enjoy SelfTrade.

I am a member of AAII (American Association of Individual Investors). Some of you may be interested to know that in their 2008 survey of brokers, they had a total of 20 IB respondants, and 70% said they were very satisied, 10% dissatisfied. Not bad, though sample size is unfortunately too small. Having said that, most AAII members are investors and not traders. I am somewhere in the middle: I speculate on the intermediate trends of ETFs i.e. weeks to 2-3 months.

FYI Scottrade, Fidelity, and TD Ameritrade had respondants in triple digits however ...

Because most Interactive Brokers Customers are real traders ... not buy and cry'ers.

And it should stay that way. The brokers you mention are in the "first broker I tried", easy to use, and inadequate for high frequency traders category. So, lets get back on topic. I would encourage bikhod to stick with his AAII membership and his investor orientated brokers and stay away from IB.

Now, bikhod, go away and leave this thread for questions about IB.

I will go away from this forum if that's the attitude of its users.

goodyneguy and nine: get that chip off your shoulders. Try being poilte and people might be polite back.

As for traders vs investors, this is what I have noticed in my 17 years as a speculator. When peoplpe are making money they call themselves traders; when they are losing they call themselves investors (oh, I am in it for the long run). I think I know where goodyneguy and nine fit.

Good luck to everyone else. Over and out

LOL. Pretentious as well. Actually we could tell that in the previous post but its amusing to see it reinforced.

This is a thread for questions about IB. You don't have one. Go away.

Good riddance.

take it easy guys. flame wars will just get your posts deleted. i came here to read what IB staff have to say, so please dont drown it out.

Hi Chaps, I have done several searches on this thread but am struggling to find an answer, a lot of the searches go back a long time as well, so may not be so current. My question is: generally speaking how would traders compare IB costs of trading Forex (given the slippage points people have mentioned) to say, someone like Oanda (use Oanda from poll results).
I understand that my simple question might be a multi senario. I was just looking for a ball park view, if possible.
Appolgies if this is a repeat question but its a big old thread now. Maybe an idea to start a 2009 version????

Last edited:
Timber Timber euh I mean lumber futures are up big: limit up

Vote vote vote my poll so we can take our axe and start bringing the profits in from the trees we could cut IF we could trade this product through InterActive Brokers.

I give an axe free for every voter but you have to come and get in in ... Belgium.

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/general/poll/poll.php?sid=4279

Lumber Lumber Lumber Oh yes lumber we want.

INTERACTIVEBROKERS WHERE ARE THOU FOR THE LUMBER??????????????????????

Last edited:
Timber Timber euh I mean lumber futures are up big: limit up

Vote vote vote my poll so we can take our axe and start bringing the profits in from the trees we could cut IF we could trade this product through InterActive Brokers.

I give an axe free for every voter but you have to come and get in in ... Belgium.

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/general/poll/poll.php?sid=4279

Lumber Lumber Lumber Oh yes lumber we want.

INTERACTIVEBROKERS WHERE ARE THOU FOR THE LUMBER??????????????????????

Won't any one vote my poll?
Vote Vote Vote Vote VoteVote Vote Vote Vote VoteVote Vote Vote Vote VoteVote Vote Vote Vote VoteVote Vote Vote Vote VoteVote Vote Vote Vote VoteVote Vote Vote Vote VoteVote Vote Vote Vote VoteVote Vote Vote Vote VoteVote Vote Vote Vote VoteVote Vote Vote Vote VoteVote Vote Vote Vote VoteVote Vote Vote Vote VoteVote Vote Vote Vote VoteVote Vote Vote Vote VoteVote Vote Vote Vote VoteVote Vote Vote Vote Vote