Importing Metastock data into Tradestation !!

speculator

Could anyone please advise how on earth you do this, i have wasted a day attempting this task.

TIA

i have Metastock 7.2 Pro and am really attempting to ascertain if i need to convert my Metastock data into another format before i can use it with tradestation or wether (i suspect not) it is simply a case of pointing Tradestation at my Metadstock data

Thanks for your reply though dsmodi

Hi speculator, you could take a look at http://www.tssupport.com/ - claims to be the world's #1 site for traders using eSignal and TradeStation software. Should be able to find some clues there I would have thought. Depends also whether you wish to import realtime or end of day data.

sharky.

Hi Sharky

Thanks for your reply.

Can'rt believe how difficult it has been made to import another data set into this software.

Beginning to think i have wasted my money, all i can find is where one is allowed to import data ONE symbol at a time...for UK alone i make this 3226 tedious imports..... quite ridiculous.

Thanks for pointing me to the site all the same.

Not to hard if I understand the request

Hey guys,

I have been working with Metastock 8 for a while and then just recently am learning Tradestation 2000i So this refers to those two specifically don't know about other Tradestation versions.

If you just want to use charts and stuff you can simply open them up without any kind of conversion to Tradestation format. If you actually want to convert, I haven't tried that.

So, All I do is on the Tradestation 2000i desktop I have a new workspace open (or an old one too) and I click the tool bar button for Creating a new tradestation chart (Alternatively use the File-->New...-->Tradestation Chart menu sequence.) Either way you get the Creat Chart Window. Put the radio button next to 3rd Party Directory and Click on New Dir... button Under the list labeled Data Type Highlight MetaStock and click the Browse... button. Now browse in the Windows Explorer like window that pops up to the directory that holds your Metastock files. Seems like you can't have it just be the main folder (default for Metastock is c:\Metastock Data) but it has to be a folder that has the actual data files, in other words you can't just add that one folder and use all the files in the subfolders, because if you do that it won't list any available symbols) So, you must go to the folder that has the actual files. Highlight your folder, and click OK. Click OK again in the New Directory window and you should be back at the Creat Chart Window and there is a list of all the Symbols that are in the Metastock Folder you chose. Just Choose the one you want to make a chart for and double-click it or highlight it and click okay. Set your desired settings in the Format Symbol window.... click OK and you should have a new Chart with the data from your Metastock file.

If you have a problem (or figure out the true "conversion" email me at:

[email protected]

This might work (EOD data-- haven't done any research yet on realtime stuff)

http://tradestation.org/

I'm not sure where you are getting your metastock data from but for testing you can get stuff from yahoo -- this at least will check the validity of the data format for inputting to tradestation.

If trade station takes ASCII imput it's simple to convert metastock to ASCII first.

In another topic I've also explained how to get stuff from the web into EXCEL via the Web query feature

Just in case this is of use to you have a look at my post under the thread US Stocks website -- topic How to set up FREE Us EOD data (split into 4 posts)

Last edited:
Just export the data using downloader in the format that tradestation can import.....

It is possible to export data from MS in various formats....

Worse come to worse...use Fox pro to convert data in the format tradesation undrstands..

Over years I have learned that it is not too difficult to convert data from one to the other...

regards

Does anyone have a sloution for seeing real time Ms data into ts 2000i. MS EOD no problem but ti'm rying to open MS real time files in TS2000 i and having great difficulties?

Thanks

dovetree said:
Does anyone have a sloution for seeing real time Ms data into ts 2000i. MS EOD no problem but ti'm rying to open MS real time files in TS2000 i and having great difficulties?

Thanks

What is the source of your MS data ?
Just also google for Hypertools Pro edition for RT conversion.

dovetree said:
Hi Sai, the source is from metaserver RT 3.2 data from Interactive Brokers.

Iam really suprised why are you fondling from metaserver to MS to TS2000i
While installing Ts2000i if you have installed it for signal version , the globalserver can directly fetch the data from metaserver 3.2 to Ts2000i.
Hope this helps

Hi Sai 20
All my historic data is in Metastock format( since I was using MS pro)I I was trying to get it into TS 2000i . Yes I use the global server will get it into TS using metesrver but there is no way to convert past historical data captured in metastock format.
Unless you can convert it to XPO and apparently you can using a tradersoft product.

dovetree said:
Hi Sai 20
All my historic data is in Metastock format( since I was using MS pro)I I was trying to get it into TS 2000i . Yes I use the global server will get it into TS using metesrver but there is no way to convert past historical data captured in metastock format.
Unless you can convert it to XPO and apparently you can using a tradersoft product.

You need Hypertools for XPO (hypertrader.it) or HistoryCentre (tssupport.com) for getting MS converted to XPO format.