Importance of volume

Now this is interesting. Just pulling together some observations from different posters.

Grey1..
"You know what does VWAP do for you ? It keeps you out of losing trades and that on its own is sufficient to save your money for winning trades"..

City Trader..
"Not entirely sure how Grey1's theory about VWAP's keeping you out of losing trades works ( an average price stops you losing money? must have missed soemthing here..)"

Socrates..
"but the bone of contention is that the rate of release is not even commensurate with price action"

First of all,posters above excuse me if I have taken you out of context in anyway. My thoughts are perhaps the second post in relation to the first post is explained by the third post and perhaps summed up by the view "things are not always what they seem". I wonder if this is connected in some way that if you are able to recognise the context where this occurs perhaps the use of VWAP and the statement from Grey1 comes into play. I need to think about this some more within the context of trade selection.

Interesting thread.

Cheers (and while we are at it does anyone know why 80% of people can't keep appointments on time ?)

Skimbleshanks said:
With respect, that is why you do not understand the importance of volume. You are expecting it to be consistent and to be able to 'backtest' it. With volume you can only forward read it because it is a 'living' thing, and therefore subject to the whims and characteristics of the prevailing market. When you have the ability to read the market's characteristics, you can then relate them directly to the volume characteristics.

That is why I believe it is futile to believe you can ever backtest the use of volume.

And yes, you can use volume for precise timing - when you know how to through your ability to 'see', you will find it is the most remarkable clue of all because it is a leading indicator.

When you say that I don't understand the importance of volume, as opposed to how it is used, you indicate that you have not understood what I said. Volume has been used to interpret markets ever since people started plotting price. The issue is how it is used and how it might be used. If volume can be used for precise timing (not in a backward sense as Chartman correctly notes) then it can be demonstrated and it makes no difference whether one views volume as another number in the grand scheme of TA or from the abstract, psychological world. If its use cannot be demonstrated for "precise" timing, then such thoughts are simply wishful thinking. In short, I am not arguing about how it is used, but whether or not it can be used in a demonstratable manner for precise timing. And that's the point.

culion said:
When you say that I don't understand the importance of volume, as opposed to how it is used, you indicate that you have not understood what I said. Volume has been used to interpret markets ever since people started plotting price. The issue is how it is used and how it might be used. If volume can be used for precise timing (not in a backward sense as Chartman correctly notes) then it can be demonstrated and it makes no difference whether one views volume as another number in the grand scheme of TA or from the abstract, psychological world. If its use cannot be demonstrated for "precise" timing, then such thoughts are simply wishful thinking. In short, I am not arguing about how it is used, but whether or not it can be used in a demonstratable manner for precise timing. And that's the point.

I share your postulate that what is useful can be modelled and tested. I also have a deep sense that volume can be successfully used along the lines posted above by Madasafish.

Volume spikes tend to correlate with reversals ("stopping volume") or with accelerations ("market has gone parabolic"). The art in this area is presumably to isolate the other elements of the situation in such a way that when a volume whistle goes off you act appropriately, rather than the reverse.

I have tried modelling two or three relatively simple trading methodologies (variations on Wycoff-style tape reading) which purport to identify profitable trades by means of the varying relationship between volume and the price action. Somewhat disappointing results, which I tend to attribute to the insufficiency or inaccuracy of what these methods say about the other factors in the high-volume constellation. The real problem is that the reversal, which generally follows the spike, may be no more than a blip in a continuing trend (if the market paused, but did not retrace, was it market-halting volume or not?) .

So, in practice, one tries to make intuitive use of the volume information, while remaining unsure whether a full enough analysis of the other factors (and the relationship with volume) would do the trick testably, and lead to something more systematic.

culion said:
If its use cannot be demonstrated for "precise" timing, then such thoughts are simply wishful thinking. In short, I am not arguing about how it is used, but whether or not it can be used in a demonstratable manner for precise timing. And that's the point.

Yes of course volume can be used for precise timing. But it cannot be backtested as such. That was my point.

Skimbleshanks said:
Yes of course volume can be used for precise timing. But it cannot be backtested as such. That was my point.

OK, let's not worry about backtesting at this point. Show us how it is used for precise timing. When we see that it is a robust, reliable way to address precise timing we can worry about how to proceed.

growltiger said:
IVolume spikes tend to correlate with reversals ("stopping volume") or with accelerations ("market has gone parabolic"). The art in this area is presumably to isolate the other elements of the situation in such a way that when a volume whistle goes off you act appropriately, rather than the reverse.

ISo, in practice, one tries to make intuitive use of the volume information, while remaining unsure whether a full enough analysis of the other factors (and the relationship with volume) would do the trick testably, and lead to something more systematic.

Well said.

Unfortunately a rigid relationship does not and can not exist between price and volume. This is why it does not lend itself to back testing in addition to what Skim has to say that BTW I agree with. What you are probably trying to do is to isolate the concept of price and volume in rigid form. This is the wrong way to go about it. The reason is that different tradeable instruments have their own particular "footprint" .
This footprint is the direct result of Supply ~Demand schedules particular to that instrument, and how these schedules are handled in the ordinary course of business. The way to go about it is to study the behaviour of the instrument of your choice until you are totally familiar with its antics and then you will be able to put the volumetric element in its proper context and not the other way round. This involves work, sorry ! It also involves time sorry again ! and it also involves observation without blinking until you finally understand it, Sorry yet once more !

SOCRATES said:
Unfortunately a rigid relationship does not and can not exist between price and volume. This is why it does not lend itself to back testing in addition to what Skim has to say that BTW I agree with. What you are probably trying to do is to isolate the concept of price and volume in rigid form. This is the wrong way to go about it. The reason is that different tradeable instruments have their own particular "footprint" .
This footprint is the direct result of Supply ~Demand schedules particular to that instrument, and how these schedules are handled in the ordinary course of business. The way to go about it is to study the behaviour of the instrument of your choice until you are totally familiar with its antics and then you will be able to put the volumetric element in its proper context and not the other way round. This involves work, sorry ! It also involves time sorry again ! and it also involves observation without blinking until you finally understand it, Sorry yet once more !

If a "rigid" reltionship between price and anything existed, it would be possible to have a perfect trading system which does not exist - so in that respect price and volume are no different. As for backtesting, as noted before, let's not worry about that at this point. The "particular footprint" argument is a red herring, reflecting the fact that it is true of many indicators.

What is needed at this point is a demonstration of the results for a price - volume system (as opposed to use of volume as an adjunct to other indicators as many of us use) that gets the discussion beyond that of an academic exercise. Show us, for example, the equity curve generated by buy/sell signals using this approach so that a judgment can be made as to it value relative to other techniques. At the very least, how about some trading statistics (e.g., % win, % annual return, etc.).

Sorry, but that is what it takes to produce a convincing argument. Absent that we are just dealing with an unproven hypothesis.

culion said:
Show us, for example, the equity curve generated by buy/sell signals using this approach so that a judgment can be made as to it value relative to other techniques. At the very least, how about some trading statistics (e.g., % win, % annual return, etc.).

Equity curves and statistics are what those with a specific mindset love to see, and find comforting - because it is a result of backtesting. And backtesting is for mechanical systems. Pure price and volume is not in that category.

Socrates uses only price and volume to trade. I use only price and volume to trade. We have both told you the same thing - yet you continue to disbelieve us.

Why do you believe that we need to produce a convincing argument for you? I notice you are from the academia world so you want an argument backed up by facts - we are not from academia, we are traders. I've never known one single decent price and volume trader state any statistics - because our minds just don't 'work' that way. You see, we have nothing to prove to anyone.

Statistics are produced by those with egos and emotions who need to continually prove their system to themselves - or to sell / market their system to others. No price and volume trader ever 'sells' a system - because there is no 'system' to sell - it's all in the mind.

culion said:
Sorry, but that is what it takes to produce a convincing argument. Absent that we are just dealing with an unproven hypothesis.
The title of this thread is "The Importance of Volume". It was a question rather than a statement. So...

culion said:
abnormal or trending volume can normally be interpreted and is useful as "background" information
...perhaps you could present your argument for that statement?

culion,

Your posts remind me of how I used to be at a time when I didnt have any understanding of what is involved in trading by price and volume only. At one point in my past trading career I also believed that any trading approcach should be able to be modelled and therefore backtested and I was wrong.

Trading by price and volume, as mentioned earlier, is not something that can be taught in the same way as using trading indicators. It is something that tends to dawn on you over time as you get more realisations from studying it. Some people will never be able to learn how to do this, some people will be better than others at assimilating this approach more quickly and some will take years to get there. I am not sure quite where I am in all of this but I am consistently able to make 1% on my account each trading day at which point I stop for the day. I am also able to do this with a very low account exposure level and risk often only at 0.2 of 1% of my account.

Your quote:
The "particular footprint" argument is a red herring, reflecting the fact that it is true of many indicators.

This is simply untrue and further shows a lack of understanding of the subject area. I know because the footprint for stock trading (which is my favoured trading instrument), is not the same as it is for futures which I have also traded.

I am not saying any of this to have a go at you because I was also in the same position at one time but I have always had an open mind to trading and new learning possibilities.

Paul

What is needed at this point is a demonstration of the results for a price - volume system (as opposed to use of volume as an adjunct to other indicators as many of us use) that gets the discussion beyond that of an academic exercise.

I have a lot of sympathy for the Socratic idea that the full understanding of volume requires extensive observation of a market (although I would also expect there to be some core principles of volume trading common to most liquid markets). But here is a dilemma: either Socrates is saying there is a system to uncover, but it has lots of complexity and many parameters to estimate, in which case he is just telling us it is a hard problem; or he is is saying that neither can you systematise it, nor can you test your attempt at systematising, in which case he is then telling us that this is a theory with no empirical content.

My reading of Socrates is that he has embraced the first horn of the dilemma. Me too. And possibly the problem is so hard that there is no practical way of systematically generating the signals we wish to test. But the proponents of volume are surely claiming that a satisfactory study of the volume footprints (of a chosen instrument) does lead to practical understanding (=ability to generate value in trading), so probably they do not believe it is really "too hard" in this sense.

Skimbleshanks's claim that volume can be used for precise timing but cannot be subjected to back-testing is either just wrong or requires a more subtle understanding than I have given it so far. On the face of it, any numerical indicator that can be acted upon leaves a trace, such that inspection of the past would show hypothetically how it would have traded. Skimbleshanks cannot be denying this. Perhaps the soft area for Skimbleshanks is in the idea of back-testing, and the sense that back-testing leads to "curve fitting", and hence is of questionable value?

My answer to this is forward testing; set up the proposed signal on software that generates real time alarms, or actually trades the signals without personal intervention. I have done both for limited periods (as well as back-testing). Of course, forward testing has the disadvantage that it is difficult to exhibit equity curves as Culion demands, without allowing time for an adequate trading history to develop.

There is also a paradox, that when you put together complex systems the performance of the whole is not a straightforward sum of the parts, particularly where the elements come into play in different sequences, under a branching logic. So, if the algorithm says to pay attention first to the strength of the trend, and only if trend is weak take contrary signal from volume, the latter will have a higher success rate than if there is no trend filter. Indeed, the combination may have a positive expectancy even when neither component is positive on its own.

As a straw man, the attached thumbnail from yesterday' s S&P shows the volume based signals from Tom Williams's VSA/Tradeguider. The green ones below the price bars are indications to close shorts or open long positions, while the red ones above the bar indicate the opposite. They identify known combinations of volume and price movement where the probability of a price reaction is reasonable. (For instance, the red triangle at 16.00 is noting that the mini rally had no volume and should be sold). The colour of the bars indicates the system's view of the prevailing trend. However, the indicators are not themselves sensitive to the trend, and for this reason users of the software are invited to make their own judgement about contextual factors. Of the nine indicators to be seen on the chart, six propose a reversal of trend, and following them against the trend would would probably have cost you money.

The question (of which this is just an example, not the example) is whether value could be added to this by systematically - and testably - integrating the VSA type indicators with the trend, in a way that the Tradeguider software does not itself attempt. But I take it that if somebody were to carry out that project, it would be the sort of thing that Culion is looking for.

Of course, that does not rule out the existence of subtler and more powerful approaches to the use of volume, but the same questions would arise. What Trader 333 says about learning seems to me to be an example of this, not a counter example; what a human being can learn (in a finite arena like stock or futures trading by price and volume) is surely something that can be approximated by models, else it could not be learnt either!

Attachments

• ES 040701 Tradeguider.JPG
    ES 040701 Tradeguider.JPG
    307.4 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
growltiger said:
I either Socrates is saying there is a system to uncover, but it has lots of complexity and many parameters to estimate, in which case he is just telling us it is a hard problem; or he is is saying that neither can you systematise it, nor can you test your attempt at systematising, in which case he is then telling us that this is a theory with no empirical content.

Skimbleshanks's claim that volume can be used for precise timing but cannot be subjected to back-testing is either just wrong or requires a more subtle understanding than I have given it so far.

If you read the "No Indicators" thread you will see many examples of price/volume analysis by Skimbleshanks and Socrates which show how volume can be used for "precise timing" and how it provides a greater understanding of what may happen next. These examples also show how difficult it would be to try and systemise such analses since there are far too many variables.

Last edited:
Too many...

barjon said:
If you read the "No Indicators" thread you will see many examples of price/volume analysis by Skimbleshanks and Socrates which show how volume can be used for "precise timing" and how it provides a greater understanding of what may happen next. These examples also show how difficult it would be to try and systemise such analses since there are far too many variables.

I don't object to the "too many variables" argument, if the conclusion to which it leads is that you cannot create a single all-embracing robust system. It does not, I think, lead to the conclusion that you cannot state or test the ideas behind the many interesting observations that are posted on the "no indicators" thread and elsewhere.

barjon said:
Very, very true. Based on the mechanical explanations given in that thread I set off to systemise, as far as my capabilities allow, an empirical approach to price & volume.

ACTION - the relative distance between the open and close (relative to High & Low).

FINISH - closing at the top, middle or bottom of the high/low range.

RANGE - Large, Small or Average

PRICE - closing higher lower (lower highs, higher lows), ranging

TREND - Up, Down, Sideways (using just 4 higher levels of timeframe and their interaction)

VOLUME - Higher, Lower, Average, Spike

Taking all of these and the combinations thereof I set off on my Magnum Opus on Price & Volume Analysis.

In order to get a rough fix on how long this might take and to get an approximate scale for the number of possible scenarios to map I calculated 'the number'...ha ha ha. Even with my absolute intention to achieve what must be currently considered to be inconceivable longevity - I thought I might run out of time.

Thankfully, the thread developed in 'other' directions and I realised my efforts were merely activity for activity's sake. Useful to immerse oneself in the nitty gritty, but ultimately of no specific (or even general) use.

So, to confirm barjon's point - yes far too many variables (even the ones I have thought of) and their combinations do reach truly astronomical proportion.

Misplaced keys

The cry for accounts and statistics etc, which might be fair if someone was selling something, has no real place in a discussion on how to read music.

it simply announces that the person asking for same is still in the wrong mindset to benefit from the Socratic discussion on this thread. Yes, it takes time and effort. You will not be given the grail of trading. You have to get off your mental butt and excercise.

If you pay attention you might learn to operate with a different, and less restrictive, mindset.

Stop looking for the scars on the palms of the grail seller, instead look inside yourself.

Some here are coming along in leaps and bounds. Sadly, others are still bumping into the furniture in their darkened room.

barjon said:
But when you do that you will observe that the interpretations have an element of flexibility,
because what we are dealing with is not a precise science. In fact it is more of an art form
if you like, since a Science is said to contain a certain number of fixed variants whereasan Art contains many more. I watched the Standard and Poors for three years without blinking before I understood it. you tell ne who among you has got the patience,the fortitude, the self control for starters to do just that. I bet you there isn't anybody.

Tom Williams is an accomplished darksider at a mechanical level because he argues that is all there is, and I am very fond of him as he is an old boy and a very dear friend, and he puts in all these things in his programmes because he follows his conviction that that is what people want, but he himself uses a chart in a different way, that is, in a mechanical context to read the market bar by bar.

Even this simple mechanical technique is already extremely difficult for most people to master. It baffles us , when something obvious is laid in front of an audience and that they pretend to understand it but somehow.....they don't.

This leads me to the conclusion that the majority of people are somehow disabled, but disabled as a consequence of their own inabilities. This relates to the work I am doing with the audience in the thread" In the Basement."

This is the work that has to be done first , but it is uncomfortable, unpleasant and so on. Everyone realises it has to be done but very few are willing to do it. You cannot complain that I do not tell you everything but if you are not ready to grab what I lay before you it is not my fault, I can only try.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that to let the public have indicators is probably the best route to attaining peace and quiet, as many aspire but very few succeed as I say elsewhere, and they do not succeed because they cannot or they will not .

All of this is astonishing to me personally and collectively to my circle, but there you have it, I cannot and will not do more. I consider I do enough.

...but Neil, bearing in mind this thread is "The Importance of Volume" within the "Technical Analysis" forum, I don't necessarily think everyone will (to borrow from your acoustic drift) be aware that there is a hymn-sheet, let alone be singing from it.

Skimbleshanks said:
Equity curves and statistics are what those with a specific mindset love to see, and find comforting - because it is a result of backtesting. And backtesting is for mechanical systems. Pure price and volume is not in that category.

Socrates uses only price and volume to trade. I use only price and volume to trade. We have both told you the same thing - yet you continue to disbelieve us.
Why do you believe that we need to produce a convincing argument for you? I notice you are from the academia world so you want an argument backed up by facts - we are not from academia, we are traders [ARE U?] . I've never known one single decent price and volume trader state any statistics - because our minds just don't 'work' that way. You see, we have nothing to prove to anyone.

]Statistics are produced by those with egos and emotions who need to continually prove their system to themselves - or to sell / market their system to others. No price and volume trader ever 'sells' a system - because there is no 'system' to sell - it's all in the mind.

and who said u 2 are the final authorities on trading?

this is such an arrogant and ignorant post i cant believe it. this displays a total ignorance of trading and the basic cornerstones of trading. i really think this suggests u know very little about trading. this really hurts me as many people seem 2 follow u and what u say when i think u know very little and will cause people to suffer in the markets much more than need be. i hope u do not take this personally, as i am pointing out FACTS here.

if u see statistics as useless in trading, then i ask if u use stop loss orders, defined entry criteria or money management? if u do, WHY!

PLEASE EXPLAIN YOURSELF.

AGAIN DO DOT TAKE THIS AS A PERSONAL ATTACK. IT IS NOT. IT IS JUST A CHANCE TO EXPLAIN YOUR COMMENTS THAT ON THE SURFACE SEEM TO HAVE BEEN POSTED WITH LITTLE THOUGHT.