IdealPro with TWS - completely untradeable

notouch

The most obvious problems are that you can't see your running profit and loss and the close position button does nothing! You can't even see your positions unless you click the executions tab. Imagine if you were trying to scalp 10 pips in under a minute - you don't know if you've been filled or at what price, you don't know your running profit or loss and the close position button does nothing. The worrying thing is that the IB reps on this forum seem to think there's no problem with trading IdealPro with TWS. Having spent a week trying to figure the damn thing out I can say it's completely useless for any sort of day trading and would be a severe pain in the rear for position trading. I would be interested if there was anyone who is successfully day trading using IdealPro with TWS. I'm aware there are plenty of third party front ends but I think IB should be honest about the situation - you need one of these front ends to trade IdealPro. IdealPro with TWS is just a disaster waiting to happen.

notouch said:
The most obvious problems are that you can't see your running profit and loss and the close position button does nothing! You can't even see your positions unless you click the executions tab. Imagine if you were trying to scalp 10 pips in under a minute - you don't know if you've been filled or at what price, you don't know your running profit or loss and the close position button does nothing. The worrying thing is that the IB reps on this forum seem to think there's no problem with trading IdealPro with TWS. Having spent a week trying to figure the damn thing out I can say it's completely useless for any sort of day trading and would be a severe pain in the rear for position trading. I would be interested if there was anyone who is successfully day trading using IdealPro with TWS. I'm aware there are plenty of third party front ends but I think IB should be honest about the situation - you need one of these front ends to trade IdealPro. IdealPro with TWS is just a disaster waiting to happen.

I agree that the fact that they don't report your position and P&L makes things very difficult. You can tell whether you've been filled or not as the order colour changes once it's been filled: the cancel field disappears for example. I think that IB are going to be changing their forex reporting - there was some cryptic message about this from them a while back.

I believe that only works for limit orders, not stop orders or stop limit orders. I heard one IB rep say it would all be changing soon and another say there was nothing wrong with it at present.