IB Frontends

Possible problem may lay with the API Jonny : I had a similar problem recently.

Solution was to uninstall the API (which also removes TWS), manualy remove the C:/JTS folder on the drive, then re-install TWS and the version of the API that you want to use.

Bit long winded and a pain in the butt, but it worked for me.

RR

When in simulation mode,Bracket-Trader seems to replicate the fill delays one experiences pretty well (i.e. Dax).I haven't seen the setting that allows one to change the 'time delay of simulated fills' so is b.trader doing something clever with the IB feed or has the developer just averaged out the time delay of 10 dax fills!(The 'fill time' does seem to vary).

The problem that Sidinuk reported when NinjaTrader lost connection to a position was due to a limitation with the TWS API 7.2. Depending on your internet connection, it is very possible that TWS drops a connection and relogs on. If you do not have the 'Show Tips At Start Up' box enabled, you will have likely not even known that this temporary log off/on had occured. WHen this happened, TWS loses the ID reference that the front end application used to control orders....hence the dropping of a position.

NinjaTrader V3 was released over this weekend and it uses the 7.3 API that has remedied this TWS limitation.

You can check out V3 at www.ninjatrader.com

The 7.3 API has not remedied that problem.

There is simply a work around by calling a routine every so often...

JonnyT

I guess not, I'm a developer to.

I'm developing using API 7.3 with Java.

When a connection to IB Servers is broken for a short while TWS automatically logs back in without notifing the API Client. I have still found that unless you call reqOpenOrders and reqExecutions your application doesn't receive any notifications from TWS for any orders in place such as an execution of a Stop Limit order. I call both these functions every minute from inside my apps.

Are you saying this is not the case?

Thanks

JonnyT

I can't say that 100% that this is not the case. I have been incorrect before with the TWS API behaviour.

What I was was suggesting is that with 7.3, when TWS drops connectivity, once re-connected the API client now has the ability to control any open orders associated with ones positions. In 7.2 API, this was not the case.

On your issue, not receiving events on open orders, I can't say that this has been addressed or not. What I can say is I have never ever experienced this problem you mention which is why I dont have a reference to this. There are hundreds of NT users and not one has ever reported a problem that would be caused by what you described.

Maybe this is behavioural difference in the different development environments? I will let you know if I experience anything like what you have described.

Hi all.
I wonder, if anybody knows which from the FREE bunch (at least 3 underlyings) of those once popular IB frontends are still available and working? Including Idealpro?

Thanks for your help

Hittfeld

Hi all,

Nobody using free IB frontends anymore? Or maybe nobody using IB at all, or even nobody trading anymore? Just teasing.

I`m desperately looking for free frontend to maximise my usage of tws (incl.IdealPro and 3+ underlyings). Any hints, any help?

Thanks

Hittfeld

Free: bracket trader
Good: SierraChart (chart trading), ZeroLineTrader, NinjaTrader.

eSignal On Demand

eSignal On Demand has an integrated trading interface to Interactive Brokers with a new DOM display. Includes charting software and data for back testing.

eSignal OnDemand

Chuck
@eSignal

ButtonTrader. Excellent order entry interface. Demo free for 6months.

esignal on demand with IB

eSignal On Demand has an integrated trading interface to Interactive Brokers with a new DOM display. Includes charting software and data for back testing.

eSignal OnDemand

Chuck
@eSignal

Hi Chuck,
The esignal onDemand page indicates that it is End-of-day (I assume that means 5pm EST since forex is 24hrs?).
How does that work for forex? Does it work 24 hours for forex, but data is just delayed a few minutes?
At $25/mo, if it truly is a very good forex analysis tool, that sounds reasonable.
Thanks for any info you can provide. Sorry, this might be a stupid question, just learning forex.
I am looking for a good IB front-end for technical analysis.
Thanks,
Bernie

eSignal On Demand

bernoneill,

Yes, eSignal On Demand has Forex 24 hour data, both EOD and Intraday, delayed by 15 minutes. It also has integrated trading directly with IB.

eSignal OnDemand

Chuck

I've been trying to search the forums on how to implement a bracket order in TWS book trader, however it just seems difficult to get this working, too many settings. Why doesn't IB just "get it" and actually implement a bracket order function in book trader? Is it that hard? Or are they just stupid?

Its not hard to do a bracket order with TWS.

So if you want to ask if someone is just stupid. Well, you should get the point by now.

You know what I'm sorry for what I said. I've used ninja trader w/ SuperDOM, bracket trader, and even infinity futures trading platform, they do one thing best, easy to setup bracket orders. In IB TWS, you have to first, enable the feature, then setup more options that just make it more trouble than what its worth.

This is slightly more frustrating since this is the software the broker gives you... and its crap!

I went to the help section on IB's website but it doesn't seem clear to me. I just wanted to know how to get it up and running in simpler terms. Ninja trader superdom trader does it best, however I would hate to pay for software just to get bracket orders working, since this is the feature I need the most. A target, a stop, how many ticks you want for each one, and that is it. TWS bracket order setup asks you a %, or "amount"... what? I only use ticks to setup bracket orders.

Again I was just frustrated about IB's platform and how silly they are to not implement a bracket order system as a default in the book trader.

Last edited:
also, IB's feed is slow, and isn't geared towards futures trading. Infinity futures does it SOOOO much better, just create an account and transfer your funds over to them. You'll have a much better experience.

But, for the original poster.

I found ZeroLineTrader to be reliable performing pretty much the actions you describe.

I now use Sierra Chart for manual and automatic entry and could do everything you describe if it was part of my strategy.