I BET not a lot of people know this !!!

There would be absolutely no benefit in setting up a company whose activity was betting. Regardless of the Corporation Tax issue what would happen to the profits? The transfer of profits between the Company and you would be technically classed as earning and would therefore be liable for Income Tax.

The question at hand is exactly as it was laid out in the very first post;

"Can anyone ever be taxed on spread bet winnings?"

Having looked into this issue for several years I'd offer the following advice....

Do not declare any winnings from spread betting on your tax return (I dont think there's a space for it anyway since its not 'generally' classed as a taxable source of income and if there was a space you'd be able to use that space to offset losses).
If spread betting ultimately becomes your only source of income then be prepared for the IR to ask a few questions especially if you have previously been classed as 'Self Employed' or 'Company Director' and as such had been submitting tax returns.
Once you tell the IR that you are living off the proceeds of 'betting' then they will have to consider you as a special case. In terms of percentages very few people make a genuine living from 'betting' (by that I mean purely earning money via placing bets as apposed to selling betting systems or winning horse races which the IR would not class as earning money from betting). The IR claim that they have the right to deal with individual cases like this. The tax inspector I spoke with some years back basically implied that they expected 'everyone' who was earning a living to be contributing to the tax system. She implied that if you found a loophole then they had the power to simply close it if you were attempting to circumvent the ethos of 'everybody pays income tax'.

From what I've read on other forums, and various bits of advice, I would strongly challenge the IR if I were ever taxed on SB winnings.

Steve.

guidfarr, please accept my apologies for forgetting to quote the source of my information. It has been a while since i posted it. Your quoted link is the correct source. I have checked it. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. Wishing every body success and good health.

Last edited:
adalat has forgotten to quote the source of his information. The original discussion of this thread is at So is Spread Betting really tax-free?

"The vast majority who spreadbet, I would opine, do not do it for a living, and therefore they are completely safe from taxation"

From reading all the discussions about tax on spread-betting, I would opine that the vast majority of posters on T2W fit into this category.

guys ....

taxing profits is the least of most traders problems (hahahahaha)

N

yep the discussion for most is academic. imaginary and hypothetical....those who make real big money are already sitting in tax heavens

You have to make enough, first, worry about tax, afterwards. Here am I, 80 years of age. What the hell have I had to be worried about? Well, a bus driver earns in a week what my dad earned in 18 months. Inflation, the governments and unions way of making the elderly poor. That's what you should be worrying about. In 1959 I bought a new Vauxhall Velox for 700 quid.

When I was 20 I used to look in the mirror to see if I was losing my hair. I have more hair, to-day, than my eldest son has!

You guys get down to making it. Worry about keeping it, afterwards. It won't be the taxman that takes it off you! :D

You have to make enough, first, worry about tax, afterwards. Here am I, 80 years of age. What the hell have I had to be worried about? Well, a bus driver earns in a week what my dad earned in 18 months. Inflation, the governments and unions way of making the elderly poor. That's what you should be worrying about. In 1959 I bought a new Vauxhall Velox for 700 quid.

When I was 20 I used to look in the mirror to see if I was losing my hair. I have more hair, to-day, than my eldest son has!

You guys get down to making it. Worry about keeping it, afterwards. It won't be the taxman that takes it off you! :D

Hi - sorry you really 80 years old? how old is your dad - 100+. great. I admire your enthusiasm and eagerness to constantly learn.

My dad, would be 112, if he was. still, alive, but, he left us in 1982.

Anyway, that's life.

I do believe, to get back to it, that some of you guys are worrying about the wrong things.

Inflation is the governments way of impoverishing everyone except the elite and privileged.

I agree, but the elderly have no means of support except what they have saved. Young people, at least, have an opportunity to make a salary. But, yes, the working and middle class is under constant attack from inflation.

If you are young, don't worry about tax on spreadbetting. There are other problems.

Government uses money to create growth without due thought to inflation. Quantative easing, which is another great name for printing money, proves that and the BoE is blatant about doing it.

Simon Norris. Lives and works in Newmarket. He's in his late 50s, used to be a bookie but retired about 10 years ago. He's my brother's brother in law.

Told me that as soon as he went pro, ie he had NO other source of income apart from investments which tax had to be paid on anyway he was advised by his accountant to seek a meeting with the Inland revenue to explain his situation and work out a deal.

People who play games with the taxman, especially when they think they're being overly clever normally always lose. In fact that's one bet I'd do at short odds EVERY DAY...........

Indeed as in my case Tax is payable throughout on my single now source of income being investments-some of course are taxed at source but certainly not the spread betting/trading....

Government uses money to create growth without due thought to inflation. Quantative easing, which is another great name for printing money, proves that and the BoE is blatant about doing it.

Governments don't create any economic growth, all they create is inflation and try to pass it off as growth. The average person is as dumb as a post and thinks that their house price going up is growth.

Governments don't create any economic growth, all they create is inflation and try to pass it off as growth. The average person is as dumb as a post and thinks that their house price going up is growth.

The same as those that think that because there are more billionaires in the country, these days, there must be a lot more brains around!

..............But saying that given the government tax take starting to collapse I wonder for how long...............

er, it'd probably cost the exchequer money overall if SB losses could be offset against other capital gains :)

Ok then, it's free:cheesy:

yes, it is - even if it's your sole source of income - unless it's considered part of some wider business activity when it's not necessarily so. If you sell trading tips (horse racing tips), for example, then you betting activity can be regarded as part of an overall business and thus taxable.