Hypnotherapy & Trading

Doomberg

Established member
I've realized for a while that i have a talent in trading but if i had to name one big down fall it would be my emotions getting in the way and the breaking my own rules. Anyway i'm seeing a well known Hypnotherapist in the New Year. I asked him if he has any experience with traders and he mentioned that he has helped day traders get control of their emotions and to become focused at what they are setting out to do and ignore their demons etc, this sounded very interesting. You know what i'll give this a shot... i'll be going there to see one in the NY anyway over other career stuff and life stuff (mainly about discipline)

What's your views? Anyone ever done this?

I've realized for a while that i have a talent in trading but if i had to name one big down fall it would be my emotions getting in the way and the breaking my own rules.

Is this not a contradiction?

How can you have a talent for trading but lack the self discipline?

If you were to strip away discipline from trading, what would be left that you have a talent for?

Just curious:confused:

I'll be interested in the results.

On one hand, I think it takes a trader to understand the issues. On the other hand, I'm not a hypnotherapist, nor do I understand it, so I have no way to validate that opinion.

I'd certainly give it a go if I thought it would help.

Just blow up a trading fund one or twice if you really want to change.
Bit more expensive tho' :cry:

If you were to strip away discipline from trading, what would be left that you have a talent for?

Why would having a downfall mean that one has no talent? Are you saying categorically that if someone is well disciplined that they will make a successful trader?

And my talent is pattern recognition and sensing the markets next move on short time frames

What's your talent?

I'll be interested in the results.

On one hand, I think it takes a trader to understand the issues. On the other hand, I'm not a hypnotherapist, nor do I understand it, so I have no way to validate that opinion.

I'd certainly give it a go if I thought it would help.

I have booked some sessions in for January so i'll keep you updated mate, feel free to PM me

Just blow up a trading fund one or twice if you really want to change.
Bit more expensive tho' :cry:

Lol been there, i think we all have.. how about going to buy a car with 'safe winnings' and then coming home to see that you had freakily been stopped out!

I'm a big fan of getting the mind right. Hypnosis can instil the right concepts quickly.
You're breaking rules for a reason, figure out what the belief is.

That's what the therapist is going to find out. Good luck to you, Doomberg, and I hope that you get satisfaction out of your therapy.

One can be self-disciplined or just plain pig-headed like King Canute and Custer were, so a talent for picking the right trades is a great asset but not having the courage of one's convictions to stick with the strategy is a common fault with many traders--me, included.

Yeah like some of you have said, mind set is very important and if the Hypnotherapy can improve this then it's well worth the money. I have a few friends who have used it for all sorts, the one i'm seeing is highly sought after and has a good name in the industry which is a good start

Yeah like some of you have said, mind set is very important and if the Hypnotherapy can improve this then it's well worth the money. I have a few friends who have used it for all sorts, the one i'm seeing is highly sought after and has a good name in the industry which is a good start

I use Paul McKenna mp3's and i find them very beneficial , I think a strong positive mental state is essential for success in trading .

Are going to see someone in the London area ? I wouldn't mind trying a live session myself .

Cheers

Are you sure you are doing the right thing ?

Most of the psycho babble lot are short of a few nuts and bolts. They sound good while they releave you of your dosh and end you up a blind alley.
Achieve your self discipline the natural way imho and not let some quack poke about into your inner self.

take care, cos your brain is your most valuable assett.

I use Paul McKenna mp3's and i find them very beneficial , I think a strong positive mental state is essential for success in trading .

Are going to see someone in the London area ? I wouldn't mind trying a live session myself .

Cheers

He's in Manchester mate, but i'll keep you posted anyway

Are you sure you are doing the right thing ?

Most of the psycho babble lot are short of a few nuts and bolts. They sound good while they releave you of your dosh and end you up a blind alley.
Achieve your self discipline the natural way imho and not let some quack poke about into your inner self.

take care, cos your brain is your most valuable assett.

Well yeah i'm not sure what will happen yet but i can't see it being any harm tbh

I would write down a plan of the exact emotional state you want to achieve while at your charts ......focused on your trading plan , stay confident and positive when enduring a down day , visualizing your goals daily , aggressive but completely rational , if unsure about a trade , no trade ........

something like that ,

If you are to overcome your demons, you need to look at the root causes. Anything else is a sticking plaster. Your hypnotherapist may look at the root causes of why you're not being disciplined. If he doesn't, he's just in it for a quick fix and you'll be back time and time again.

Many tradesmen hypno-babble lot are init for the money ! They aren't going to fix a guy's brain up for long, oh no they will bleed him dry little by little.

And be realistic about your efforts and chances imho. Telling oneself one is the greatest trader ever will soon crash if one isn't ! Right ?

(n)

Many tradesmen hypno-babble lot are init for the money ! They aren't going to fix a guy's brain up for long, oh no they will bleed him dry little by little.

And be realistic about your efforts and chances imho. Telling oneself one is the greatest trader ever will soon crash if one isn't ! Right ?

(n)

The guy said that it would take weeks instead of months and it's only £60 a time and i only plan to have a few sessions for trading, however i have a few other things i'd like addressed, i'll give it a go for maybe 4-6 sessions, who knows it may be really good. I know a few who said that it was really good, a guy i know uses it for al sorts and it's helped him use his brain to the full potential as he is becoming successful

I would write down a plan of the exact emotional state you want to achieve while at your charts ......focused on your trading plan , stay confident and positive when enduring a down day , visualizing your goals daily , aggressive but completely rational , if unsure about a trade , no trade ........

something like that ,

Yeah i'll be doing this in the new year mate