Hypnotherapy & Trading

I've realized for a while that i have a talent in trading but if i had to name one big down fall it would be my emotions getting in the way and the breaking my own rules. Anyway i'm seeing a well known Hypnotherapist in the New Year. I asked him if he has any experience with traders and he mentioned that he has helped day traders get control of their emotions and to become focused at what they are setting out to do and ignore their demons etc, this sounded very interesting. You know what i'll give this a shot... i'll be going there to see one in the NY anyway over other career stuff and life stuff (mainly about discipline)

What's your views? Anyone ever done this?

all manner of techniques help to eliminate the emotions, which are quite a hurdle to overcome.
techniques such as only looking at your track record over, say, a minimum of 20 trades, not trade by trade, etc.
rules are a way of overcoming emotions, by having a set of actions already mapped out beforehand, eg, entry criteria tick-list, stop-loss, profit-targets.

all easier said than done.

having gone through what you appear to be experiencing, one method I looked at, was EFT.
I dont use it now, but the explanations and rules are free to download.
there are decent practitioners around, many offering day-long courses in the essentials.

The link below is straight to the EFT Mini-Manual and subscribing to newsletters. (eftuniverse.com)

Get Started Free

There are loads of examples of physical ailments as well as psychological issues addressed using EFT, with varying results.
No guarantees, but may be worth your while, as its a fascinating subject, and free.
My one niggle with the site is it hails all the successes, but doesnt contextualise the wins by showing how many didnt get better. But thats usual for such things!
hope it helps.

EDIT: this is the page that shows many examples of the types of categories/actual cases EFT has been used for.
http://www.eftuniverse.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=7

Last edited:
I've realized for a while that i have a talent in trading but if i had to name one big down fall it would be my emotions getting in the way and the breaking my own rules. Anyway i'm seeing a well known Hypnotherapist in the New Year. I asked him if he has any experience with traders and he mentioned that he has helped day traders get control of their emotions and to become focused at what they are setting out to do and ignore their demons etc, this sounded very interesting. You know what i'll give this a shot... i'll be going there to see one in the NY anyway over other career stuff and life stuff (mainly about discipline)

What's your views? Anyone ever done this?
Do you work for a guy called Marcus de Maria? If you do not have control of your emotions then think of a time when you did have emotional control. Think of a time that you had to give yourself a set of rules and follow them.:whistle:whistling. If you in your life have never had a time where you have had to be in total control of the outcomes of your actions then with all due disrespect don't think some tree hugging hypnotherapissed is going to going to inject it. And by the way don't waste your money on a lifestyle seminar either.
TOP TIP. Do you drive a car happily on the freeway and also in city traffic? The rule based structure of trading is not a whole lot different.:smart::smart::smart::smart::smart::smart::smart::smart:

What could be more of an incentive than losing money ?
If you had a profitable strategy, you wouldn't be breaking your rules. If you go to some head-shrinker to keep you in these trades, you will have gotten nowhere.

I have never heard of hypotherapy. My take is that such therapy may help you, but its due to 'placebo effect'. The actual reason why it helps is because you have inside you what it takes to control your emotions.

I have never heard of hypotherapy. My take is that such therapy may help you, but its due to 'placebo effect'. The actual reason why it helps is because you have inside you what it takes to control your emotions.
Nice troll. If you've never heard of hypnotherapy then you are a fecking thick brain dead moron who just wants to sell his invsetment bolloxblurb:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::cool::cool::cool::cool:

My 2¢: The things being considered in this thread, like hypnotherapy, is IMO an extreme attempt to find a solution to a common problem. It is like someone having liposuction because they find dieting and exercise requires too much effort.

My father stopped smoking AND drinking after a single session of acupuncture.

He left the room and never had an urge to do either again.

Just because it's 'alternative', doesn't mean it is without merit.

Well toast if there is an acupuncture solution to solve the mysteries of why people succeed at trading then I am all ears.:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Exactly. Breaking a habit is one thing, being a profitable trader is another

...look into my eyes...you will only trade profitable setups...c'mon...:LOL:

Exactly. Breaking a habit is one thing, being a profitable trader is another

...look into my eyes...you will only trade profitable setups...c'mon...:LOL:

Is that even what has been suggested here?

What about hypnotherapy to aid in staying focused when trading? Hypnotherapy to calm the nerves during trading?

I know a guy that meditates for trading. Me - I just keep a spare keyboard.

The 38 Steps To Becoming A Successful Trader has now been revised to only 15.

1. We accumulate information - buying books, going to seminars and researching.

2. We begin to trade with our 'new' knowledge.

3. We consistently 'donate' and then realise we may need more knowledge or information.

4. We accumulate more information.

5. We switch the commodities we are currently following.

6. We go back into the market and trade with our 'updated' knowledge.

7. We get 'beat up' again and begin to lose some of our confidence. Fear starts setting in.

8. We start to listen to 'outside news' and to other traders.

9. We go back into the market and continue to 'donate'.

10. We switch commodities again.

11. We search for more information.

12. We go back into the market and start to see a little progress.

13. We get 'over-confident' and the market humbles us.

14. We get hypnotherapy

15. We go on with our lives and accomplish many of the goals we had always dreamed of.

Well the '38 steps' are total nonsense made up by your typical retail trader that can't trade anyway, so I don't see why this 15 is any less valid.

Nope, its the lack of evidence of its effectiveness that means its without merit for most things. 'Alternative' medicine that is proven to be effective simply becomes part of the body of knowledge of evidence based medicine and is no longer 'alternative'.

Sort of like most technical analysis - you'll certainly not be too hard pressed to find people who swear it works for them etc... how much of it actually stands up to testing... not a lot.

Nope, its the lack of evidence of its effectiveness that means its without merit for most things. 'Alternative' medicine that is proven to be effective simply becomes part of the body of knowledge of evidence based medicine and is no longer 'alternative'.

Sort of like most technical analysis - you'll certainly not be too hard pressed to find people who swear it works for them etc... how much of it actually stands up to testing... not a lot.

so what evidence based medicine helps with discipline ?:whistling

Another 2¢: Most people (if not all) who want to give up cigarettes are doing so because they know and understand the consequences of smoking and are concerned about their health. The reason many find it difficult to quit has less to do with their discipline and more to do with their bodies being physically addicted to nicotine. They are committed mentally to quitting but find it near impossible to fight the physical craving. That's why substitutes like nicotine gum and patches are effective in helping to quit. I can also understand (whether it works is another matter) how hypnotherapy or acupuncture can help someone overcome the physical addiction to cigarettes.

But there is no great mystery surrounding how to not smoke. There aren’t thousands of books, websites and seminars dedicated to the art of not smoking. In other words, to not smoke, all you have to do is not put a cigarette in your mouth. It doesn’t require a deep understanding, any skill or years of study and practice. So, it’s not as though the people who want to quit need to first figure out how not to smoke.

Contrast this with people who are having problems with their trading. They don’t have a physical addiction, what they have is a deficit of understanding and try to circumvent the necessary years of study and practice with all sorts of shortcuts and hare-brained schemes.

Becoming a profitable trader is both an evolutionary and revolutionary process and throughout the process you will make new discoveries which modify your former methods and behaviour. The consequence of not doing so is losing money. So, like smokers, traders want to avoid the consequences of their actions, but unlike smoking, there is high level of understanding and experience required to get to that stage.

I believe in training the mind and the power of positive thinking and even developing your own trading affirmations. But these evolve and develop along with your understanding. I see a great danger in believing you have all the understanding you need and ingraining rules based on that understanding.