How to unwind, especially after a busy day of trading?

if i were u id do what mr charts says and just trade through it. youll soon get used to it and it will become part of your routine. keep at it.

r u an uptight/stressed person anyway? maybe a night out on the tiles iz all u need luv.

Hi Lynn,
I know. The restaurant near us will cook me anything, not just "Western" Chinese.
I do cook myself quite a lot, but I am not in your league!
Anyway you are far too modest - you are an excellent cook.
Thanks for your kind wishes re-the symposium. Being a guest speaker together on the same platform with the likes of Larry Williams and Jake Bernstein should be an interesting experience.
I am determined those attending will learn very effective and profitable techniques from me.
I do think unwinding will come naturally as you become more experienced. When I started I used to dream of charts and my mind was extremely active for many hours afterwards. However, the more mechanical, or perhaps routine is a better word, your set ups, triggers and executions become, the less trading will spill over into the rest of your life and switching off becomes natural as it does in most jobs when the day is done.
Lynn, you just keep on going and it will all fall into place for you. You have the ability, the skill, the knowledge, the determination, the application to succeed. That's all you need. Trust me, it gets easier and easier ;-))
Kind wishes,
Richard

clylbw-

so youre a good cook! can you help me?

how do you cook rice without it all sticking together? i cook it on a med-high heat with the lid off it just all sticks together like a big mush

thnx

My method:
You've just boiled it (rather than semi-steamed it) and broken down the surface which is why it's gooey like white cat's poo, but probably doesn't taste as interesting. It creates a bolus in the stomach then small intestine which is why you get that heavy feeling.
I never wash rice, being an uncouth person (boiling water should kill any bacteria after a few minutes anyway and you don't get pathogens is decent rice). No doubt any microbiologist present will correct me.
Cover Thai fragrant rice by 3 cm of cold water. Basmatti will do at a pinch. Do not use that disgusting organic wild rice - it's full of bacteria and has been prepared by the great unwashed ;-)
No salt.
Bring to boil.
Boil vigorously two minutes.
Turn light down to medium till air holes appear in surface (3-4 minutes).
Turn light down to minimum and cover for 10 minutes.
Turn light off and leave covered for 10 minutes more.
Result rice is fluffy and does not stick. Ever. Like trading do it properly and it almost always works (that'll get somebody going)
If Lynn produces a better recipe I should try hers - respect to the girl.
Richard

Last edited:
Fluffy Rice?
Lovely fluffy single grained rice was something I've never managed to achieve in more than 20 years of cooking the stuff - until recently that is. Basmatti is especially prone to ending up in a sticky lump of goo. Hitherto, the only solution has been to put said sticky lump in a sieve and rinse it with boiling water. The obvious drawbacks to this are that the rice is now flavourless, has little or no goodness left in it and a messy sieve which is a ***** to wash! The secret to avoid this and enjoy perfect rice every time is to fry the rice with a tiny bit of veg' oil for about 5 min's until it just starts to turn golden brown. Take it off the heat and allow it to cool for a minute or so before adding the water. For more flavour, add an onion to the rice at the frying stage and a stock cube to the water. All my trading profits will go to any T2W member who fails to achieve 'perfect rice' using this technique!
Tim.

Thanks really Richard; I will try my best. :)

Last edited:
Rice Cooking

This is somehow off the topic, but I will reply anyway.

I must repeat I am NOT a magic cook. If you want to save the trouble, there are special electronic rice cookers; you only need to put in rice, water, and they will do the rest. Such cookers are available in most oriental supermarkets.

It is also a good idea to look at the kind of rice you are going to cook if you do not want the sticky stuff. Some kinds of rice are particularly sticky, especially those for sushi or Thai cuisine. Maybe ask others to make sure you have got the right kind of rice before purchase.

I use a microwave instead. Wash the rice once, then put them into a big bowl. Add some water, but do not add too much. My usual portion normally takes 10 to 13 minutes in the microwave. If you are not sure, put a little water and cook it for several minutes to begin with, and gradually work it up till you are satisfied. I would say this, like trading, needs some practise. I get better with trial and error.

I do not add anything to rice, but I have it with other things. One of my favourite recipes is fried rice with eggs, vegetables, and a bit of Chinese sausage. Another is stewed rice with pork ribs and mushrooms cooked in oyster and soy sauces. But they are only my personal bias; others may not like them.

Hope this helps. :)

thanks mr charts, clylbw & timsk. u may not know it, but you just may have changed my life 4 the better (hey its the small things that count) i used to have one of those rice cookers i brought in hong kong - but customs ripped it appart when i took it to the usa :( just because of some white residue inside!!

oh well.

i hope i can help you in return clylbw. i was going to advise how to relieve stress in your trading - but i read your post again, and it seems like stress isnt the issue is it?

to unwind - thats personal. i like a drink. u obviously dont. so, like i said with mr c earlier, keep at it. the fact that u think about trading at night is nothing to be worried about. its probably just because you are new to this (am i right?). it will pass

after many years trading, i see it as just a job like any other at the end of the day - and sometimes a very boring one. believe me - if you are still around in 5 years, you will be laughing at your post and be waiting for the day 2 end/market close - but if your real good - you dont have to trade every day anyway ;)