How to unwind, especially after a busy day of trading?

clylbw

Hi,

I wonder how to unwind, especially after a busy day of trading.

Currently I do aerobics and yoga to relax after I have finished trading every day, but sometimes I still find myself much entwined with the market, especially after a busy day. I would toss and turn in bed, thinking about the market and my trading for a long time, before finally falling into sleep. Then the next day may be affected.

Are there some effective ways to unwind, especially after a busy day of trading? Or will I just get used to it after some time?

Thank you.

If you're talking about unwinding per se, I find that large quantities of brown ale take care of that problem.

If you're talking about putting the day to rest, I assume you're printing out your charts, annotating them, and updating your log/journal for the day, as well as formulating your plans for the next day's opening. If not, then there's little reason for all the free-floating doubts, questions, anxieties and so forth to lay themselves to rest.

once you start making money each day - an atom bomb will not wake you!

Thanks stevet.

Thanks DB.

I have already taken the second measure. The first one, however, is a bit problematic as I do not drink. Or should I try to act as a trader and begin in this aspect? :)

clylbw said:
Thanks DB.

I have already taken the second measure. The first one, however, is a bit problematic as I do not drink. Or should I try to act as a trader and begin in this aspect? :)

Living in the UK and not taking advantage of all the wonderful beers available would be like living in Tahiti and never leaving the house, with the curtains drawn. :cheesy:

mmmm - curtains down - thats kinda what happens after tasting all the wonderful beers!

clylbw said:
I wonder how to unwind, especially after a busy day of trading.

You don't need to wind down if you don't get wound up.
Ask yourself why you are wound up in the first place.
When trading you need to be relaxed and alert, calm and efficient.
If you are getting wound up then something is wrong
imho.

Glenn

Thats right....don't get wound up...where's that b****y bar going...lets look at the Dax....no, just check the oil...why didn't I stay out...oh hell, somebody scrape me off the ceiling....who's that coming up the path in the white coat?
An everyday story of trading folk. :)

Her name is Mona :)

but seriously Glen hits the money shot - if you stick to your trading plan trading should be a boring business (but maybe that could lead to stress :))

I am a disciplined trader yet I have never been able to completely get away from getting wound up. Losing is part of the game, nobody wins all the time. I think anybody who trades everyday needs to be quite extraordinary if they never get wound up no matter what method they are using.
I was wound up for most of August, for me, it was a crappy month, actually the worst I have had in over 18. I would like to know, in these circumstances, how not to get "wound up".
I go to the Gym 4 times/week find spin and circuits do wonders for the endorphin levels, also try to get out a lot at weekends to get the adrenal glands going but this does not stop me from ever getting wound up. I I never ever struggle to sleep at night which is a result but more likely it is because I am always totally knackered by the time I crawl into the sack and always up at 5am.
Friday was one of the best days I have had in a long time and yet I still felt wound up a little because I missed a couple of trades dues to indecision and lack of balls.....Now that is actually far worse than getting wound up because you are having a bad run.
I also tried Yoga, Tai Chi , Meditation and Hash but none of these were successful in turning me into a centre of spiritual peace.
I have not met many or indeed any traders who do not get wound up in some way or other at times it is just that some are far more obvious in their wound upness than others. I used to work with a guy who would start screaming obscenities down the phone and smash things hard on his desk and then there was the guy who seemed cold as ice but jumped off a building one lunchtime. I just accept it as part of the deal. Still wouldn't want to do anything else for my living.

I must confess that the only thing that gets me wound up is when I see a good profit missed through indecision.
The losses I can view calmly because I NEVER, EVER take a position size which I can't absorb. The eyes may water sometimes but thats all.
IMHO this is a point which should be made to beginners until their eyes glaze over and they addopt it as a family motto.

I would be more concerned with not getting wound up than getting wound up. Getting wound up shows that you care about what you are doing and the consequences that your actions may have. It may also show that you are focused(?)

If you did not get wound up, could switch off after the close and not think about tomorrow until the next days open - could be taken as a sign of complaceency.

I do not know of one person who does not get wound up (to some extent) about their job.

I think though that different types of people handle such 'stress' in different ways - it may make some individuals feel ill for example.

If, like me, you trade from home, I think that getting out of the house for a couple of hours after the close - perhaps going to the gym, a walk to the shops, some form of sporting activity and social interaction definately help me to rejuvinate. This process enables me to seperate one days work with preparation for the next days work with a few hours of well earned play!

If I finish trading in the afternoon and have nothing to do or nowehere to go until the next morning I find it harder for my mind to switch off from trading.

"Done well trading should be as exciting as breathing."
Tom Basso

There should be no reason to ever get wound up about trading, your trading is under your control,
there are no coworkers/clients/bosses stressing you out like in other jobs.

Instead of trying to unwind after the day, spend the time in morning relaxing and
mentally preparing yourself for what could happen/go wrong today.

The only time you might get emotional is when you break your own rules but as you get better
and better at trading you will very rarely do that anyway.

As the years go by and i get better at trading, i find i get less and less stressed/emotional/wound up about
trading.

Tom Basso is interviewed in New Market Wizards and is probably the ideal when it comes
to finding a carefree/relaxed trader.

Last edited:
Feel I've got to add something to this thread even though I'm not a 'proper' trader - meaning I have not been earning my living solely from it, although I have tried a few times in an amateurish way over the past four or five years.

Trading must be one of the most emotionally draining and stress inducing of career paths. And yes, I've read all those books that say this is not how one should feel or behave. I do not think the general public has any idea of the difficulty of attempting to make profits this way, nor the stress induced from losing dosh in a matter of seconds or minutes.

Axthree, you made me laugh out loud and I've been up there on the ceiling too. In fact I'm clinging to a lampshade as I write. Twalker, hate to say it, but it is heartening to read that such an erudite (I've read your posts, man) and experienced trader has had to resort to hash (a term of reference that I'm assuming is the Hash House Harriers). For many years in my distant past, I appeared in front of the public (completely unknown, but no gory details here) but never once - and being no stranger to stage fright - did I experience the hand trembling, numbing shock, and afterwards deep depression that appears to get to everyone at some time. Why do it? Well, that's another question that I keep reading answers to on all these threads every day. And the markets are fascinating. And one feels a part of bigger events at some times (feel I'm going to get thrashed for all this - so please be gentle).

But ultimately, stress it seems is part of the game. And as traders come in all shapes and sizes so must the answer be to how to deal with it. Never forgetting one is having an adventure (and many people don't) is a start. And in this cocooned world (God, do I really sound like I've stepped into a pulpit now?) I think sometimes people forget how privileged they are to be able to trade. Most people do not have the spare cash to trade independently. And I'm not only referring to traders with 20K plus here, but £500 for margin on a spreadbet. For the lucky few, perhaps this bit of graffito tells it like it is:

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you have misunderstood the situation."

Think I've gone off the track a bit here. It's stress...

I like the Steve Davis quote when he was asked how he copes with playing big finals when under lots of pressure. He said the trick is.."to play as if it means nothing when it means everything". I think that applies to trading. You have to trade as if it means nothing when it means everything. I also find a game of snooker is a good way to unwind after a day of screen watching.

I have also found playing online poker has helped. There are many times when you play correctly, do everything right and lose to someone who hasn't got a clue but gets lucky. That feeling is similar to making a trade where it looks like you are going to have a nice profit, only to see it reverse and hit your stop loss. Learning to cope with that situation playing poker seems to have helped with my trading. I have also learnt to get out quick when things don't seem right and to try and make the most of good situations. I find the best way to make money playing poker is to only bet heavily when the odds are overwhelmingly in your favour. That has helped a lot when I see similar situations when trading.

What really winds me up is a big ******** news reader who can't call non-farm payroll figure right, in fact call it bang opposite and cost me an absolute bomb.

First time I've had a sleepless night over my P/L and been seriously frustraded / upset the next day too. Nothing can help me unwind at the minute!

zeeuk

are you saying that a business TV news reader - reading out the figure incorrectly - moved the market - i would doubt that very much - because they are always so late with the stop press news - and no one listens anyway - and sure dont trade off them - but if you saw differently - it would be good to know ?

Who remembers playing games as a children, i'm sure we learn to be competitive from a very early age. As we develop and grow, we find a level we're happy with.

Too much stress is bad , but some stress is required, as most of us need this just to function.

All a question of balance, happy trading lol

So many thanks to all of you.

The discussion is very helpful; can you all please keep it going?