How to trade cryptos

Based on Garvo's posts - as he appears to have a firm grasp on the topic - the obvious trade to take IMO is to short Bitcoin and go long Iota. That way one gets the relative safety of a pairs trade whilst having some exposure to crytpos. Disaster would only really strike if Bitcoin's bubble is a long way from bursting (and it continues to skyrocket) while Iota tanks. As for the mechanics of executing such a trade - I have no idea!
Tim.

No absolutely not. It's not possible to match and pairs trade different cryptos. I've seen plenty of instances where things just go off and others go off in a different direction, whilst others sit still and do nothing. This is not a correlated market space.

https://coinmarketcap.com/all/views/all/

Last edited:
Based on Garvo's posts - as he appears to have a firm grasp on the topic - the obvious trade to take IMO is to short Bitcoin and go long Iota. That way one gets the relative safety of a pairs trade whilst having some exposure to crytpos. Disaster would only really strike if Bitcoin's bubble is a long way from bursting (and it continues to skyrocket) while Iota tanks. As for the mechanics of executing such a trade - I have no idea!
Tim.

Indeed, in the long term I am with IOTA and my vision is more moderate about the cryptoassets that many involved.
Of course I have exposure to several cryptos, and start with bitcoin, but I found technology that is more compatible with my ideology.

You have to understand that bitcoin is a movement of cypherpunks that begins to germinate shortly after the crash of 2007-2008 and the bailouts that the central banks of the world executed.

It seems that few remember the monstrous that this crisis was, perhaps not because of its social impact but because of what it showed about the banking system.

In general terms we could say that bitcoin is nothing more than an application to replace centralized banking. In its origins it emerges as a peer to peer cash system and an anarcho-capitalist alternative to traditional banking.

This is mainly observed in the countries where the crisis was strongest: Greece, Cyprus, Spain, USA.

Soon, some begin to see the bitcoin not only as an application to replace but to destroy the entire FIAT system: this movement of survivors in the beginning fixed on metals and bet on the return of gold and silver and the disappearance of the dollar . They believed in bunkers, acquire firearms and the creation of anarchist communities, their greatest exponent is perhaps DollarVigilante.

Another current believes that hyperbitcoinization will come and considers that at one point a collapse like that of the Weimar Republic will be inevitable for banks. Although his way of thinking is radical, it seems only to focus on the economy. Many bitcoin owners on a large scale are willing to "hodl" their bitcoins until this happens.

Of course these two groups of people do not see bitcoin as an asset but as a means to a social revolution, they do not really have an interest in bitcoin neither as a means of monetary exchange nor as a store of value.

A third group considers bitcoin as a novel tool that eradicates all the economic problems of FIAT ... this group grew strong in 2013-2016 but began to be divided into two subgroups:

one that considers that bitcoin should be a medium of exchange
one that considers that the bitcoin will be a store of value -a kind-gold standard-

Currently there is a cleanup of sides and we do not know who will win yet. Personally I do not know if there will be hyperbitcoinization or if it will be the new gold standard.

But if I consider that this technology has revolutionized the way in which accounting is carried out. And this, in the future, will be the foundation of the IoT and eventually the Internet of Everything.

That's where IOTA comes in and this is where my thinking is, a conservative market of 20-30 trillion in the medium term -2-3 years- and much more in the long term.

However, as an exchange technology, cryptoassets could perfectly occupy those 100 trillion that exist in FIAT. I am not a fortune teller and I can not predict if it will be Bitcoin or Ether or Bitcoin Cash or DASH or Ripple. So my short-term exposure is varied but definitely focused more on the cryptos as a means of exchange -DASH, Bitcoin Cash, Monero, Litecoin, Ripple-. Anyway, if it turns out to be a gold standard, most of the rest of the crypto are exposed to bitcoin and not dollar.

Interesting replies - thanks everyone.

Surely the biggest challenge facing all cryptos is their shear complexity? I struggle to see any of them replacing good ol' lsd as my late mum used to call it. There's no way that the average wo/man in the street is going to get their heads around block chains, miners and tangles etc. and, if they don't have a basic understanding of what a bitcoin or Iota (or whatever) is, they'll never willingly adopt them. Consequently, cryptos will be niche currencies confined to the techie geek digital space. Based on Garvo's posts and the video links - I like the sound of Iota the best but, for the reaons given, I can't envision a time when I buy a round of drinks in the pub using it. Until a solution to this problem can be found, traditional paper currency is here to stay and it's for this reason that, IMO, the BoE, ECB and Federal Reserve etc. won't be worried anytime soon about the growth of cryptos.
Tim.

Interesting replies - thanks everyone.

Surely the biggest challenge facing all cryptos is their shear complexity? I struggle to see any of them replacing good ol' lsd as my late mum used to call it. There's no way that the average wo/man in the street is going to get their heads around block chains, miners and tangles etc. and, if they don't have a basic understanding of what a bitcoin or Iota (or whatever) is, they'll never willingly adopt them. Consequently, cryptos will be niche currencies confined to the techie geek digital space. Based on Garvo's posts and the video links - I like the sound of Iota the best but, for the reaons given, I can't envision a time when I buy a round of drinks in the pub using it. Until a solution to this problem can be found, traditional paper currency is here to stay and it's for this reason that, IMO, the BoE, ECB and Federal Reserve etc. won't be worried anytime soon about the growth of cryptos.
Tim.

That's how all none tec savvy oldies think including us, but the point is, the kids don't think like this. I think that's why cryptos will take off.
2018 is going to be awesome I recon.

As to BOE and Fed, the more people that begin to realise that they are being shafted by fiats, then opinions might shift. We do after all live in a Trump Brexit world.

That's how all none tec savvy oldies think including us, but the point is, the kids don't think like this. I think that's why cryptos will take off.
2018 is going to be awesome I recon.

As to BOE and Fed, the more people that begin to realise that they are being shafted by fiats, then opinions might shift. We do after all live in a Trump Brexit world.
Hiya c_v,
Yeah, I do take your point and, indeed, agree with it broadly speaking. However, I think it'll take several generations - long after the likes of you and I are pushing up daisies - before cryptos are accepted as the norm in daily life.

I have to say that I would happily take a punt on Iota - by which I mean buy 'n hold - but am put off by the very restrictive and convoluted means of acquiring them.
Tim.

Hiya c_v,
Yeah, I do take your point and, indeed, agree with it broadly speaking. However, I think it'll take several generations - long after the likes of you and I are pushing up daisies - before cryptos are accepted as the norm in daily life.

I have to say that I would happily take a punt on Iota - by which I mean buy 'n hold - but am put off by the very restrictive and convoluted means of acquiring them.
Tim.

Joking apart, why don't you buy some and start a thread documenting the process. T2W needs to embrace this new world. Sharky told me so, that's why we have a crypto forum now (y):LOL:

Hiya c_v,

Tim.

Joking apart, why don't you buy some and start a thread documenting the process. T2W needs to embrace this new world. Sharky told me so, that's why we have a crypto forum now (y):LOL:

I have literally just given up on the idea of getting involved today because I can't find a broker I trust or one that's easy to set up and use. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a thread with a step-by-step to help out people looking to get involved.

I have literally just given up on the idea of getting involved today because I can't find a broker I trust or one that's easy to set up and use. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a thread with a step-by-step to help out people looking to get involved.

How to open an account to move cryptos?

Disclaim: I'm not American citizen so I don't have to deal with all the bureaucracy they have.

1) First of all you need get cryptos from FIAT. There are several ways to do this.

a) Thru a broker (Coinbase, Bitfinex, Kraken, Bitstamp or Gatehub).

Pros:
You can buy large amounts of FIAT (you can deposit even millions) if your bank allows it.
Easy to withdraw to your FIAT account.
Good to do trading inside between larger cryptos -because is cheaper and faster.

*I truly recommend Lykke platform. Yo can deposit from your credit card, the KYC is easy and fast -not viable for US residents-. Indeed for US residents as far I know the best brokers are Coinbase and Bitstamp, if not the only ones to deposit FIAT.

* As far I'm from Mexico, I use Bitso as broker, so is really easy for me use FIAT to buy cryptos. But I don't trade in Bitso, I use Bitfinex. I used before -they were the only broker to trade Ripple a few years ago- Gatehub but their KYC is really a pain in the ass. But if you have all your papers is really fast and easy to use it.

Cons:
It can take several days to Tied your account to the levels of good withdrawal.
Ie:
Tie 1: only 1000 usd
Tie 2: from 1000 to 100 000
Tie 3: No limits
(This is from Iconomi)

You need a passport, some official ID and proof of residence.
The fees can be high, but not so high as Ameritrade or IB.

b) Thru localbitcoins https://localbitcoins.com

This is by far the most simple and fast way to buy small amounts of bitcoin.
Is easy to use, you don't have to identify yourself and is a decentralized trade center (the good old P2P system)

Pros:
No Id required.

Cons:
Only small amount of bitcoins
It can be a little bit more expensive the price of bitcoin here than in the exchange.

*So you buy your bitcoin in localbitcoin and then you can open an account in any broker up (Bitfinex, Coinbase, etc) If you make your deposit with cryptos is really fast and easy to open an account in any broker.

c) https://bisq.network

It's a P2P exchange to trade cryptos for FIAT and FIAT for cryptos.

Pros: it's decentralized and prices competitive

Cons: You have to download an app.

You can watch the places to buy and sell bitcoin depending your country in:

https://www.bitcoin.com/buy-bitcoin

You really know a lot about the cryptos.
Do you know about the tax situation in the US or UK ?
I guess if Trump has plenty then the cryptos should be a safe haven in the US.

You really know a lot about the cryptos.
Do you know about the tax situation in the US or UK ?
I guess if Trump has plenty then the cryptos should be a safe haven in the US.

I'm loss about juridical status of bitcoin in many countries. In my country the fintech law is under discussion right now. At the moment aren't taxable the earns of cryptos in Mexico. But that dont apply in USA or EU a far I know.

You can see here a little bit, but the bes way to know about your country in specific is thru bitcointalk (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=74.0) or reddit.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Tax_compliance

Bitconnect

Captura_de_pantalla_2018-01-17_a_la_s_10.21.16.png

I’m IN, on this very interesting project called FORTUNA.

FORTUNA:

The First Blockchain Platform for Global OTC Derivatives Market

The whole idea makes me dream a real open trade market between all us.

Please tell me your opinion:

https://www.fota.top/

I’m IN, on this very interesting project called FORTUNA.

FORTUNA:

The First Blockchain Platform for Global OTC Derivatives Market

The whole idea makes me dream a real open trade market between all us.

Please tell me your opinion:

https://www.fota.top/

How blockchain technology improves OTC trading. Existing solutions offered with brokers are good enough to maintain efficient environment for this.. But am I missing something?

How blockchain technology improves OTC trading. Existing solutions offered with brokers are good enough to maintain efficient environment for this.. But am I missing something?

It does not, quite the opposite: this adds more complexity, points of failure, hacking vectors, etc...

not to mention slow which is pointless

Ok, I expected criticism about the idea but more focused on how to carry out the project.

Let's say that I have 1000 stocks of SoftBank ($ SFTBF: OTC) and someone wants call options. I am in Interactive Brokers, so I contact IB to tell him that I want to offer a purchase option for my 1000 shares. Then they tell me to wait until they find a buyer -If they don't tell me not to **** because are just 50K USD and they only fix OTC above 1M-. To fix the whole thing, how much will they charge me? And how much are they going to charge whoever wants to call?

How about that I could set my option on a decentralized platform, adjust the premium and the characteristics to be negotiated to directly benefit the one who wants to call. Let's take that market to all OTC stocks that do not offer derivatives due to the economic and technical limitations imposed by the brokers. Warrants, options, futures.

I do not understand what complexity there is in that, instead I imagine a tremendous cost savings in addition to a direct deal.

Let's say that I, John Doe, want to take a short position in the mortgage market but I do not have 200 M USD, but 20K usd and we think it's 2006.

The possibilities seem endless forgetting about the prejudices about the blokchain technology.