How to trade any market on any time frame

Newtron Bomb

Guest Author
Reinstated at timsk's request

Firstly I'm a big kid when it comes to haters - I have zero tolerance for stupidity as such you now go on the ignore list.

No-one needs haters like you in their lives all I can say is that you must be truly ugly on the inside to be so vengeful and hating towards someone you have never met or had contact with EVER before.

===================

My current strategy - Free - on the house - at zero cost - no catches - interestingly... just like all the other stuff I've posted here over the years

1 - Pick a direction
2 - Confirm that direction
3 - Trade that direction

This methodology is a trend trading method.

The tools used are a guide to aid with reading and determining what price is doing. With time and experience you will not require them.

My current set up is;
60 min charts
10 period moving average
34 period moving average

1 - Pick a direction

Wait for the 10 period to cross the 34 period. This tells us that the average price is potentially pointing in a new direction.

2 - Confirm that direction

Actual price then needs to be moving in the same direction and to then "pullback". This is actual price showing you that is is suggesting a trend in line with the average price.

3 - Trade that direction

Entry past the pullback highs or lows

attachment.php

We can also use the average price to help determine when not to be so reliant on the average price and to help see when actual price might be transitioning from trending to ranging.

2 x crosses at a similar price level - stand back and try to visually assess IF price is starting to develop a consolidation pattern

3 x crosses at a similar price level - definitely consider price as ranging. Try to define the consolidation boundary highs and lows. Wait for price to move away from ranging price activity before resuming trading.

attachment.php

There is obviously a lot more to trading that looking for an MA cross and trading a pullback.
This WILL keep you in the direction that price is moving most of the time.
It WILL keep you in those movements for the duration most of the time.

This is what I refer to as a base level strategy. Something that you can fall back on and know that whatever you do you have a minimum set of criteria to be met before you do anything.
Everything else you can layer on top as you develop your skill set and knowledge through experience and practice.

This is a method that is multi time frame & multi instrument compatible

I will add more as required...

Attachments

• TS-Cross-n-Pull1.png
    TS-Cross-n-Pull1.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 3,824
  • TS-Cross-n-Pull4.png
    TS-Cross-n-Pull4.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 3,791
Last edited:
Hi Phil,
Great to see you posting again, but please restrict yourself to one thread per topic. Oh, and the prefixes are strictly for admin' use only. Threads have to earn [Best Thread] status - regardless of the member who starts them!
Tim.

Last edited:
Hi DT - yeh been a loooong time. How have you been?
Very well for the most part thanks mate. Hope alls well with you an yours.;)

Interesting thread btw. Seems pretty close to what im doing. Following trend / entering on pullbacks. Keep it simple and flexible, thinking not allowed!:LOL:
Am also long eurusd atm. A close sub 1.3555 is a D1 trend changer for me, will close out what ive got and look for a short in the smalls.
Only thing im doing thats a little different is limiting out of losers rather than using hard stops.

Hi Phil,
Great to see you posting again, but please restrict yourself to one thread per topic. Oh, and the prefixes are strictly for admin' use only. Threads have to earn [Best Thread] status - regardless of the member who starts them!
Tim.

Thanks timsk - in fairness one was going to be a journal and one was going to be a follow along. both needed the same intro....perhaps not having the option to select best thread etc. should not be open to all... just a thought but hey what do I know
Thanks for spicing :)

Very well for the most part thanks mate. Hope alls well with you an yours.;)

Interesting thread btw. Seems pretty close to what im doing. Following trend / entering on pullbacks. Keep it simple and flexible, thinking not allowed!:LOL:
Am also long eurusd atm. A close sub 1.3555 is a D1 trend changer for me, will close out what ive got and look for a short in the smalls.
Only thing im doing thats a little different is limiting out of losers rather than using hard stops.

Trend is your friend and all that... pick a direction - confirm it - then trade it.

Sooo simple it deserves to be exploited and your right its all in the management

Thanks timsk - in fairness one was going to be a journal and one was going to be a follow along. both needed the same intro....perhaps not having the option to select best thread etc. should not be open to all... just a thought but hey what do I know
Thanks for spicing :)
Hi Phil,
By all means start a journal - just include a link to this thread.

Yes, very good point about removing the option - I didn't know it existed - so I was really surprised to see that it's possible. I'll get on to Sharky to sort it - thanks for the heads up!
Tim.

YM - Currently long - but in a range
ES - Currently long - but in a range
NQ - Currently long - and going higher
Hi again Phil,
Back to the thread topic - I am slightly surprised at you being in 3 separate trades in 3 highly correlated instruments. Would you care to outline your thinking here please?
Tim.

Hi again Phil,
Back to the thread topic - I am slightly surprised at you being in 3 separate trades in 3 highly correlated instruments. Would you care to outline your thinking here please?
Tim.

and the short answer for the lazy people

they are all pointing upwards... - buy 'em
they are all moving up at DIFFERENT rates of pace
they reflect different elements of the stock market

I simply don't care enough to be concerned. If it moves trade it.

Sure I would love to...

My thinking is honestly no more than this.

YM is drifting upwards and as per rules previously outlined has me long. Although the conidion to stand aside has also been met. So Im in a long and price is pausing.

ES is essentially the same and at the very early stages of its most recent trade.

NQ entry is also the same but is a runaway winner so which Ive added in and scaled out 3 times so far... this is the image above you can see.

Just because something co-related doesn't mean you have increased your risk and neither does it assure me that all 3 "related" instruments will move in a similar way.

=======

My reasons are diversification. not just in related instruments but also across markets.

In respect to the Stock Index Futures section of my portfolio Im making small on ES making a little bigger on YM but making BIG on NQ.

If I were just trading one and commonly you might just look at YM or ES then I would be thumb twiddling waiting for something to happen.

Yes, the larger the range of potential trading instruments (which is why I personally prefer US stocks) the more opportunities to make money arise as you simply search to find something that is actually moving, so Phil is quite right to look at different instruments, imho.

In fact the Nasdaq often diverges quite a lot from the Dow and the S&P
Richard

Last edited:
Yes, the larger the range of potential trading instruments (which is why I personally prefer US stocks) the more opportunities to make money arise as you simply search to find something that is actually moving, so Phil is quite right to look at different instruments, imho.

In fact the Nasdaq often diverges quite a lot from the Dow and the S&P
Richard

Spot on...

Another element is that this is but one facet of what Im doing... so when one market segment is doing poorly then I should be able to be doing very well somewhere else.
Forex might be mixed... Index Futures might be powering away as they are now.... Gold might still be setting up.... Stocks and ETFs might just also be throwing money at me.
...now Ive got a portfolio of portfolio's... interesting thought eh.

I dont just put jam on the corner of my toast in the morning... I spread that Jam all over

Good to keep it simple NB - I'll have a look at this one

I remember last time I saw you, you generously presented that 'first bar of the week' system of yours (ideal bar etc.). It was quite an interesting system with some specific requirements

BTW Are you still using it?

Good to keep it simple NB - I'll have a look at this one

I remember last time I saw you, you generously presented that 'first bar of the week' system of yours (ideal bar etc.). It was quite an interesting system with some specific requirements

BTW Are you still using it?

I think back then I was using as a part of a strategy portfolio.

I not traded with that method for a while... Although I use the logic presented quite a lot. The method you saw when I did that presentation evolved quite a bit... so not for a few years has that particular incarnation been used.