How To Make Money Trading The Markets.

Atilla

Nov 15, 2006
CLLN - Carillion

Mr Charts, good to see you have a thread in stocks forum. :)

I'm thinking if CLLN Carillion is oversold and worth a punt.

Considering decline from 2015, can things get much worse or is 87 showing up as

PP-R3 @ £0.87

good place to move back in and buy some of this stock?

Awaiting reply with great anticipation. (y)

Atilla

Nov 15, 2006
It's often better to short the clean and clear fallers until they turn.

Follow the trend
till the bend
at the end.

Only then it just might, might mend - or fizzle out - or a DCB

Hmmm it's just that falls have exceeded all past valuations.

Not to mention JP Morgan tipping them around April.

Some vultures may already be circling looking for value. I think 70s maybe bottom but I'm guessing.

New CEO and things may change just as quickly. Could be worth some lolly. :rolleyes:

Dec 9, 2016
It'd be great if this thread could be limited to Mr.Chart's extremely valuable comments on his trades and techniques as this thread will quickly become cluttered with irrelevant information and or speculations.

Perhaps a different thread could be started, though there are currently many existing threads where people can discuss different ideas, but I for one, am only interested in Mr.Chart's comments and opinions on this thread.

Atilla

Nov 15, 2006
It'd be great if this thread could be limited to Mr.Chart's extremely valuable comments on his trades and techniques as this thread will quickly become cluttered with irrelevant information and or speculations.

Perhaps a different thread could be started, though there are currently many existing threads where people can discuss different ideas, but I for one, am only interested in Mr.Chart's comments and opinions on this thread.
Your point is noted Deshi but my comment was for Mr Charts and as he has opened this thread I'd expect such a note to come from him for me take heed and not someone like you.

Otherwise unless I hear from him stating as such I will continue to post if I have any queries on US stocks and share my opinion equally.

By the same token I find your post as having no bearing on US stocks and a waste space. (n)

Jun 8, 2017
Hello Mr Charts,

I have been trying to master this technique in a paper trading account with Interactive Brokers. I have been using CFD's so that I can limit my initial investment and not have to worry about the day trader minimum account. I have suggested to IB that they add a filter for CFD to their market scanner. Hopefully they will !

One of the problems I have been having is in filling orders in a timely manner. I am only using 100 - 200 contracts to experiment with, but this can take 5 - 10 seconds to fill the order. Should I be using a different type of order i.e. AON ? I have tried Limit and Market, but both are similar.
Maybe this is a feature of CFD's , although IB state that they do not take a Market Maker role. They have DMA access and immediately hedge the position with the underlying. I would have thought that should have same liquidity as the underlying.

I can see future problems if I try and scale the position to 500 or 1000 CFD's.

Any opinions / suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks

MikeH

Mr. Charts

Sep 18, 2001
www.nasdaq-nyse-trading-courses.com
Hello Mr Charts,

I have been trying to master this technique in a paper trading account with Interactive Brokers. I have been using CFD's so that I can limit my initial investment and not have to worry about the day trader minimum account. I have suggested to IB that they add a filter for CFD to their market scanner. Hopefully they will !

One of the problems I have been having is in filling orders in a timely manner. I am only using 100 - 200 contracts to experiment with, but this can take 5 - 10 seconds to fill the order. Should I be using a different type of order i.e. AON ? I have tried Limit and Market, but both are similar.
Maybe this is a feature of CFD's , although IB state that they do not take a Market Maker role. They have DMA access and immediately hedge the position with the underlying. I would have thought that should have same liquidity as the underlying.

I can see future problems if I try and scale the position to 500 or 1000 CFD's.

Any opinions / suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks

MikeH
I have tested IB CFDs LIVE and the fills are within half a second every time.
I would guess your delays are due to it being a demo.

Jun 8, 2017
Thanks for that .

I did check with IB and they were a bit confused , but did eventually agree that it
was a feature of CFDs on a demo account. I tried with the underlying and the fills
were much quicker.

Another question for anyone re the IB market scanner.

What type of scans would you suggest to try and isolate stocks that have had a
significant price movement in the last say , 5 mins ?

There are scanners for high volume in the last 3,5,10 mins , but nothing for price
movement. I can add a filter to select stocks in a certain price range but no time
reference other than 'change since market open'.

I have tried scanning %price movement against EMA(20), but that doesn't seem to
select suitable stocks. Unfortunately the scan parameters are not well defined in
the documentation.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

MikeH

Aug 6, 2017
Depends on what one calls a ' falling knife ' but that said I have shorted those and the clean and clear fallers very successfully.

The ' knives ' tend to give the biggest winners - what I like about them, sometimes over 150 points,

Last edited:

Dr. Toad

Jul 21, 2015
What type of scans would you suggest to try and isolate stocks that have had a
significant price movement in the last say , 5 mins ?

There are scanners for high volume in the last 3,5,10 mins , but nothing for price
movement. I can add a filter to select stocks in a certain price range but no time
reference other than 'change since market open'.

I have tried scanning %price movement against EMA(20), but that doesn't seem to
select suitable stocks. Unfortunately the scan parameters are not well defined in
the documentation.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

MikeH
I have done this exact thing recently and live. My broker has a scan for % change in past 2 minutes. I would look at that, find ones that were trading near/at their day high and had reasonable spreads. The ones that meet that I took a quick look at to see if they were trending on the 5 min chart. If they looked ok (higher highs, higher lows for past 30 minutes minimum) I entered.

I tried a variety of tracking methods including that outlined in this thread. What I found was that, more often than not I entered right as the trend either changed direction or paused. All I can say is be prepared for ample frustration and quickly racking up commission costs doing this.

It certainly didn't work for me... doesn't mean it won't work for you though.

I tried the same using the % change scan my broker offers. Takes a bit more time to dig through and find good ones with, but that seemed to work marginally better. It still seemed to just be a good way to keep your broker happy more than anything though.