How to Identify Trends

That is an unfair statement and factually incorrect. The reasons are complex and best laid out in Michael W. Covel's book "The Complete Turtle Trader - Chapter 8"

You are saying this site Wikepedia is telling lies...............
Richard Dennis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't read books from failed traders or writers whose opinions may be biased and incorrect , with the sole motive behind their manipulated opinion being to market their books.

I am not buying his book or giving my money to the picks and shovels merchants of the trading gold rush , the picks and shovels merchants being authors , course sellers , mentors , trading educators ,signal sellers and software sellers.

Google is best my best friend , and I can get everything for free .

You are saying this site Wikepedia is telling lies...............
Richard Dennis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't read books from failed traders or writers whose opinions may be biased and incorrect , with the sole motive behind their manipulated opinion being to market their books.

I am not buying his book or giving my money to the picks and shovels merchants of the trading gold rush , the picks and shovels merchants being authors , course sellers , mentors , trading educators ,signal sellers and software sellers.

Google is best my best friend , and I can get everything for free .

Are you suggesting that Wikipedia with a one pager on Richard Dennis and the Turtles is the sole authoritative source of reliability but a researched book covering 269 pages of information and facts is opinionated and biased? On what basis are you drawing such a conclusion besides acting biased and with self directed motive that you accused others of practicing?

Are you suggesting that Wikipedia with a one pager on Richard Dennis and the Turtles is the sole authoritative source of reliability but a researched book covering 269 pages of information and facts is opinionated and biased? On what basis are you drawing such a conclusion besides acting biased and with self directed motive that you accused others of practicing?

There is no evidence that this research is anything other than the regurgitated crap , an author packaged into a book.The author makes money by writing books and selling on Amazon and selling courses from his website.

There is no evidence of a successful trading making money from actual trading.95 % of traders lose and become trading failures, they end up as merchants in the trading gold rush.

Why would anyone want to buy books from trading failures?269 pages of regurgitated crap freely available on the internet , something that is done in one page by a professional takes trading morons 269 pages and several books.

Last edited:
hey all....

The Turtle stuff is legend ........but remember it was a different time and a different place

Covell is a showman and his books are part entertainment with a little sprinling of learning in there if you look hard enough.........and mostly not a bad read in my opinion

Re the original question here on trend following ....I would suggest starting with some simple MA based approaches and then develop from there

look at Captain currencies 3 ducks as a starting point .....look him up

cheers
N

hey all....

The Turtle stuff is legend ........but remember it was a different time and a different place

Covell is a showman and his books are part entertainment with a little sprinling of learning in there if you look hard enough.........and mostly not a bad read in my opinion

Re the original question here on trend following ....I would suggest starting with some simple MA based approaches and then develop from there

look at Captain currencies 3 ducks as a starting point .....look him up

cheers
N

I read his thread and I learnt something useful , and I read your thread and found something useful.:p

great charts chattiFX, look closely and you will see the basis of "trend signal" a 3 grand advisory signal systen

Ha maybe I'd be more likely to make money doing that than actually trading myself :idea:

Agree 3 Ducks is worth looking at. It's the starting point that got me to the charts I work from, although I use different MA's and different values, the sentiment is very much the same.

I also use moving averages to give me a sense of direction. The price does this itself of course, but visually, a moving average is far easier to work with. Having established the price action has momentum and therefore the moving average is sloping enough to warrant an entry, I'll get in when I get two consecutive bars supporting the relationship the price has to the average and I'll get out when I get two consecutive bars which run counter to that relationship. I also obviously have an initial stop and move that to new technical levels as the price progresses.

The best way to identify trends, in my experience, is to use simple price action. Higher highs and higher lows signal an uptrend, while lower highs and lower lows represent a downtrend. What are the three types of trends? A long-term (secular) trend is one that lasts for 5 years or longer.

The best way to identify trends, in my experience, is to use simple price action. Higher highs and higher lows signal an uptrend, while lower highs and lower lows represent a downtrend. What are the three types of trends? A long-term (secular) trend is one that lasts for 5 years or longer.
6th thread with no replies for 8 years that you have replied to today. This is getting comical.