How Damaging Is My Sleep/Wake Cycle To My Trading?

Nowler

Experienced member
Hey folks!

I tend to stay up late (approx. 3am GMT) and wake up late (approx. 12pm GMT), getting on average 9 hours sleep. How would this, in your opinion, negatively impact my Forex trading? I am residing in GMT zone.

Of course I have a some idea but I'd like to hear from you.

Hey folks!

I tend to stay up late (approx. 3am GMT) and wake up late (approx. 12pm GMT), getting on average 9 hours sleep. How would this, in your opinion, negatively impact my Forex trading? I am residing in GMT zone.

9 hours should be plenty, I am sleeping probably 7 hours a night (getting older, so I cannot sleep much), but I am taking a nap after excising/lunch for 30-60 minutes every day and I don't' see any negative effect on myself (unless I am hung over, which I find getting more painful with old age)

9 hours should be plenty, I am sleeping probably 7 hours a night (getting older, so I cannot sleep much), but I am taking a nap after excising/lunch for 30-60 minutes every day and I don't' see any negative effect on myself (unless I am hung over, which I find getting more painful with old age)

What time do you typically go to sleep/wake up at? And what are your most frequent pairs to trade?

Also, if I frequently attempt to trade GBP/USD and EUR/USD, am I putting myself out much by getting up at 12pm (online by 1-1:30)? In your opinion

What time do you typically go to sleep/wake up at? And what are your most frequent pairs to trade?

Also, if I frequently attempt to trade GBP/USD and EUR/USD, am I putting myself out much by getting up at 12pm (online by 1-1:30)? In your opinion

Yeh, sorry, I misread the question, I thought you have concern that the 9 hours of sleep is not enough... I am not trading FX, so I have no idea if the morning is a good time to trade or to sleep :)

Yeh, sorry, I misread the question, I thought you have concern that the 9 hours of sleep is not enough... I am not trading FX, so I have no idea if the morning is a good time to trade or to sleep :)

Ah yes, I remember you saying that before. Unless details directly impact me, I tend to forget them, sorry...then again...I forget my fair share of important things also :LOL:

The question is open to all avenues really.
Biological, psychological, practical...

I'm just looking to see if anyone has any strong opinions on trading times.

in training now to start trading 18hrs/day ---- 30 mins treadmill & 30 mins weightlifting 5days/week. no breakfast, light lunch.

i ballooned up to almost 300lbs...just sitting, eating trading

18hrs/day trading is where the $ is imo get it done thers money out there TAKE IT ! (y)

in training now to start trading 18hrs/day ---- 30 mins treadmill & 30 mins weightlifting 5days/week. no breakfast, light lunch.

i ballooned up to almost 300lbs...just sitting, eating trading

18hrs/day trading is where the $ is imo get it done thers money out there TAKE IT ! (y)

18 hours a day staring at the screen - hows that working out for your work\life balance?

18 hours a day staring at the screen - hows that working out for your work\life balance?

work/life balance sounds like "i hate my job look forward to weekends" kind of thing.

i love my job not looking for vaca days :D

work/life balance sounds like "i hate my job look forward to weekends" kind of thing.

i love my job not looking for vaca days :D

Or... it's an appreciation of your job. In that, you want to be primed (not burned out) everytime you turn up for work.

Cognitively engaging in something challenging is tiring. There is no way a person could sustain 18hrs/day engaging efficiently with the market and it not be burning the candle at both ends

Or... it's an appreciation of your job. In that, you want to be primed (not burned out) everytime you turn up for work.

Cognitively engaging in something challenging is tiring. There is no way a person could sustain 18hrs/day engaging efficiently with the market and it not be burning the candle at both ends

i like what i do and i won't do it part time. thats just me

what will you do in between trades go east at local bistro??? sit in a lounge chair? revel in the small talk? just hang around, do next to nothing?

thats not for me, never was, never will be (i got to be DOING smthg) i got to be solving ..

what will you do in between trades go east at local bistro??? sit in a lounge chair? revel in the small talk? just hang around, do next to nothing?

thats not for me, never was, never will be (i got to be DOING smthg) i got to be solving ..

You're asking the wrong person. I'm only in the rookie stage yet.

Have you tried doing the Trader personality test that I mentioned the other day in my journal here?
I believe that will identify aspects of who you are that you can use to develop your style off of. At the least it might identify elevated risks to your trading as a result of your personality. Then you can address them.

Suit yourself. I was only trying to help. What's the point if your not willing to help yourself...
Good luck with your journey.

Suit yourself. I was only trying to help. What's the point if your not willing to help yourself...
Good luck with your journey.

place a trade, b/w the armchair psych that might help? :D

30 mins treadmill & 30 mins weightlifting 5days/week. no breakfast, light lunch.

Joking aside, this is something I started doing few years ago + short nap after lunch and frankly I feel like I am having a second productive day in the afternoon...

Joking aside, this is something I started doing few years ago + short nap after lunch and frankly I feel like I am having a second productive day in the afternoon...

Seems to be a somewhat common thing to do from what I see. At least with professional traders anyway.

It makes complete sense though. There are numerous cognitive benefits to exercise. And meditation for that matter....

I am definitely a proponent of naps!
Some of histories greatest people were daily nappers :)

I really should structure my days... I've very little discipline/structure.

Hey folks!

Hi Nowler

Have you thought about trading when you sleeping.

Oscar

Hi Nowler

Have you thought about trading when you sleeping.

Oscar

Hello Oscar,

Yep, I have thought about trading while I sleep.

What's that saying...? "If you don't make money while you sleep, you will work until you die"!

I have tried putting in entry orders at particular levels where I reckon the probabilities are with me. This has worked numerous times, but it has also went horrifically bad on a number of occasions. I am spread betting and I have been dragged into trades (and stopped out of trades) because of the ridiculous widening of the spread. It's just too risky. Granted some of these horrifically bad entry order trades were on less liquid markets. Perhaps I can give it a try again but only do it on the majors...

I have also decided that I will learn how to write code (Python) so I can make automated systems. This will be further down the line though as I have my hands full with learning the rest of the aspects of trading. I have started some HTML but I haven't even finished that yet. And that's far easier to learn than something like Python, or worse again, C++ :eek:

9 Hours of sleep is enough and if it is about the trading instruments then, in that case, you will have to look when there are liquidity and volatility in the market for the instrument you trade.