How to find mentor

Maybe we could talk a little bit more. This is what we should be doing, with or without a mentor.

An experience trader who could share his knowledge/expertise to help me to the path of successful trader.

What if there are no trading mentors? If you have this mindset, you will not get scammed easily.
With this mindset you will try to find your own way, looking directly at charts, questioning knowledge from books.
And, you will find your way faster. The best mentor is your own critical thinking, questioning knowledge from books, and looking at pure data from the market. A good mentor will always tell you that your experience, including fails and wins, will teach you the most. A good mentor will push you to experience pain and fails in the markets with reasonable risks, on a small real account. This is how you will find the best mentor, which is YOU.

P.S.
The most people who want to find a mentor, do so, because they don't want to take responsibility and feel the pain of failing and believe in fairy tales from the books. Most of them do not want to question knowledge from books. Also, they don't want to research past data for months or years, so they think that they can get away from it, reading a lot of books or looking for a mentos :)

Hello, I am new to Trade2Win and thinking to start trading. How can I find a good mentor?
Hi ritefix,
I'm also new to T2W. I'm not new to trading though. I have been busy with this since 2003.

You're question, How can I find a good mentor?, is quite the conundrum!
Because you are new, you do not have the experience to know whether a mentor is genuine or not.
Someone may suggest someone they know, but can you trust them? You are at their mercy; and that is not a good place to be.

Mentors are best being someone you know personally, a friend or family member for example, that show profitability. You have evidence that they are profitable over a very decent period of time.
The best mentors will have the right motive. They will want to see you succeed, rather than lining their own pockets.

I can send you in the right direction to save you a lot of time, energy and frustration, but I'm not sure that this thread is the best place to do that.
I will put something up in the 'First Steps' forum that will at the very least give you a solid basis.

d a x

Last edited:
Most mentos are scammers. If I had to teach somebody, it would be in exchange for something that I'm interested in. For example, it would be in exchange for looking at the specific market, so I don't miss the opportunity to trade myself. Sometimes there is an automatic way of doing that, but sometimes in very advanced level, only human can recognize and reject bad patterns. The question of "how do I find a good mentor" is a false premise. I wouldn't teach anybody if they ask me if I can mentor them. I would be picky, allowing to mentor somebody if he or she is willing to put some effort and give back in any form that is useful to me.

It’s not easy to find a mentor because most of them are scammers. If you still want one, then ask someone for recommendations. Don’t trust people here easily.

First, ask any mentor if he is even trade. Then if he is successful, then proof. Only you can understand the psychology of the trader if you are trading yourself. There are some people on this forum, who wants to teach traders and never traded themselves :)

When I started trading, I started with learning about various trading terminologies blogs on Internet. Then I opened my demo account and started understanding things through youtube videos and by studying experiences of others on different platforms and added my own ideas to it, initially it was hard but with time I learnt from my own mistakes, so if I can You all can go ahead with trading without any mentor.

Trading mentor will shorten your time of searching and giving you proper mindset. Obviously, if the mentor is not a scammer, and it's very hard to find a good one. It amazes me that people still wants free mentor for trading :)
Not giving anything back. I'm not even saying about monetary value. If you want to find a mentor, just tell to potential mentor what can you give in return.
What can you give, what do you have, what can you exchange? If you want to be a trader, trade. Time, energy, ideas, for mentoring...

1. He never traded and want's to teach you trading performance psychology.
2. He wrote a book, but cannot prove to you his track record.
3. He promises you to teach you in one month to be successful. Or even 6 months.
4. He needs to constantly prove to others how good he is, but never shows his track record.
5. He makes courses online for 97 USD and gathers many students.

The real mentor would ask you questions and if he sees potential in you, he will teach you, but if he doesn't see, or doesn't like you, he will decline teaching you.

How do you know that this is him trading?
There are many scammers and day by day they are more sophisticated. But yes, if you know that he is trading real time, and it's not a demo account, and he can give you verified P&L from his broker then it's good. Always be careful.

How do you know that this is him trading?
There are many scammers and day by day they are more sophisticated. But yes, if you know that he is trading real time, and it's not a demo account, and he can give you verified P&L from his broker then it's good. Always be careful.
Thank you for advise.

I think instead of finding a mentor we should be one for ourselves, nothing beats self growth.

Finding a mentor is a good exercise. It trains you to find the truth, if you question your mentor fully. Even having a mentor and questioning him all the way up is good for you (and for him). That way, you will probably develop better logical deduction. Doing that, you will, some day, surpass your mentor. Having ambition to hold better understanding of charts and psychology can only help.
How can you have something better, when you don't know the other systems and approach?
Mentors role is to compress time spent on charts and psychology. A good mentor will give pointers, so you are not in the dark and find the truth faster. A bad mentor will give it to you as well, but it will take some extra time to shake up from the bad mentor. Everything is a learning experience.