How to back test ?

If you're a programmer, Backtesting with Python is powerful. You can use library like backtrader.

If you're not a programmer/ light-weight coder, backtesting with TradingView Pine Script or Bar Replay function is also fine.

Backtesting is of very limited use in my view. If you wish to make use of it then at all costs avoid any type of optimisation. Your theories as to why trades may be profitable should work in a raw format without any manipulation. There are countless systems out there that appear profitable precisely because the creator of them optimised the inputs to give an appeared high level of profit. When they then run them in real time scenarios with real money they always lose over an extended time frame.

If you're a programmer, Backtesting with Python is powerful. You can use library like backtrader.

If you're not a programmer/ light-weight coder, backtesting with TradingView Pine Script or Bar Replay function is also fine.
isnt there a way to do it without coding

Backtesting is of very limited use in my view. If you wish to make use of it then at all costs avoid any type of optimisation. Your theories as to why trades may be profitable should work in a raw format without any manipulation. There are countless systems out there that appear profitable precisely because the creator of them optimised the inputs to give an appeared high level of profit. When they then run them in real time scenarios with real money they always lose over an extended time frame.
where can i find a realistic , back testing platform?

isnt there a way to do it without coding

Yes, you can use a bar replay function. Many platforms support that.

If you're also using TradingView, you can click on the button I highlighted and select the bar you want to start your replay:

Bar Replay.png

i am using tv , but isnt this a manual method , are there pre made code that you can run with your desired parameters
From what I know, I don't think there is such function pre-built by TV.

Some people shared their code for certain strategies on TV, but it depends on what strategy you trading. You may not find what you need.

If you don't know how to code your strategy, the only way is to hire somebody to code it for you or do it manually.

How can i back test my strategy what software to use , and should you know programming ?
thanks
Ninjatrader is free for backtesting, etc. Coding is not required; and depending upon the complexity of your strategy, may not be needed.

Motivewave is now free too, for backtesting, etc. I have no experience with this software.

Tradingview is limited in that it can't optimize (try different parameters automatically). You'll have to run the backtest, then manually adjust parameters, then rerun.

Ninjatrader is free for backtesting, etc. Coding is not required; and depending upon the complexity of your strategy, may not be needed.

Motivewave is now free too, for backtesting, etc. I have no experience with this software.

Tradingview is limited in that it can't optimize (try different parameters automatically). You'll have to run the backtest, then manually adjust parameters, then rerun.
ok thanks

From what I know, I don't think there is such function pre-built by TV.

Some people shared their code for certain strategies on TV, but it depends on what strategy you trading. You may not find what you need.

If you don't know how to code your strategy, the only way is to hire somebody to code it for you or do it manually.
where can i find such people
?

Matateder is free for traders and has everything you need to backtest a strategy, 99% of brokers support it.
There are tons of wizards to generate the code if you are not a coder, some are free.
pztrading has a lot of code for most popular strategies.
If you need something more you have to pay a coder, on mql5 site you can find many that will do tha job for less than 100$.
Once you have the code you are at 1% of what you need to be profitable.
99% is finding a robust set of parameters without overfitted backtests.

I used to backtest the EAs of MT4. But recently it has become SOOOOO slow I haven't got a week to spare for each test.
Is there any way I can speed it up to previous performance ?

I backtest my algo over 20 years of data in less than 10 seconds. It's not in mt4 its written in c# and I have designed it to span out dozens of threads processing concurrently at each phase. I guess all these GUI tools have to paint and calculate drawing etc as well as being inefficient on threading.

If speed is a problem mt5 supports multi cores and multi agents while being free.
BTW i ma not a sponsor of Metaquotes. :ROFLMAO:

For guys that like speed, C language and tons of indicators I suggest zorro-trader.
Backtesting is free, than if you acheive something interesting you can subscribe or buy it and trade live.

Last edited:
A significant fault I have seen in backtesting is that the methodology allows multiple positions.

For most traders, once they're in a market, they will avoid taking multiple positions on the same market simply because there has been a fresh buy signal, and then another and then another. In any case, eventually the account runs out of margin for new positions. Most traders are even more averse to taking additional trades in opposing directions, even if their account allows it.

So many times I've seen backtests that seem to generate vast numbers of trades with extremely high win rates. These are accidental pyramids and they can hugely inflate the performance of a strategy which can never be replicated in real life.

e in a market, they will avoid taking multiple positions on the same market simply because there has been a fresh buy signal, and then another and then another. In any case, eventually the account runs out of margin for new positions. Most traders are even more averse to taking additional trades in opposing directions, even if their account allows it.

if i had a penny for every live account on show that does this