How to spot the beginning of a trending day? Thx!!

Other than within the context of a longer-term trend, you can't.

You'll need, if you're trading intraday, to wait until any trend has developed to be able to recognise it as such.

However, if you do find a way to consistently identify a trend before it starts and can also throw in the time to the minute of the commencement and direction and the top/bottom level and time, high/low of completion to the minute, please let me know – by PM.

How to spot the beginning of a trending day?

Thx!!

The beginning of a trend? You are an optimist to think that that is possible. Take my advice and let others do that job.

BTW, if you do find a way, don't tell Bramble, keep it to yourself!

Split

Last edited:
As TheBramble says, its not possible to say with 100% what will happen later today, so more realistic to identify - 1) the signal that will cause you to open a trade, and 2) the price that will cause you to exit the trade when you find it has not gone the way you expected.

What about, after price opens with gap down, 1) top of gap as price recovers, and 2) bottom of gap?
If the recovery continues this could be termed a whiplash or key reversal, depending on what happens in the day, but recovery to fill an Opening gap not always but often leads to continued rise through the day. That's how thse patterns came to be recognised and named.

Definition of a "trend day" as I understand it.

Price will travel in One general direction and close at or very near the high or low of the day.

If this definition is accepted then it is relatively simple to make money towards the end of the trading session.

Simply position yourself in the last 30 mins to take advantage....forget what has gone and milk the last bit...I play this quite often with reasonable size with the idea that I will be in the trade for 30 mins max...and usually a lot less time.

Nearly everyday will be a trending day,it just depends on what timescale you are looking at.Its a question and part of the holy grail we all look for as a new trader.Then we realise there is no exact methodology of predicting anything,only that the markets will open on time close on time and 93% end up losing.

How to spot the beginning of a trending day?

Thx!!

I strongly advise you to ignore those who tell you what you can and can't do. Trends, whether they are immediate, intermediate or major have a definite start and end. 'How' to spot them is a question of how much time and effort you are willing to put into study and practice, and more importantly, how much faith you have in your own judgement!