how much profit from forex trading?

motorola

I'm still lurking in forex trading and I wish to know the profit level from trading forex. let's say you start with USD 5000, how much will the balance be after one year of trading (assuming you're an intermediate trader, already familiar with candlestick patterns, stochastic, fibo and so on)? I'd like to hear from people that has done trading for more than a year, so I can see how much forex trading can give you. thanks

I'm still lurking in forex trading and I wish to know the profit level from trading forex. let's say you start with USD 5000, how much will the balance be after one year of trading (assuming you're an intermediate trader, already familiar with candlestick patterns, stochastic, fibo and so on)? I'd like to hear from people that has done trading for more than a year, so I can see how much forex trading can give you. thanks

Balance after one year will be about zero, unless you stop earlier.

USD 5,000 will return you USD 432.32...........

pboyles said:
Balance after one year will be about zero, unless you stop earlier.

are you being sarcastic here? if you do, go elsewhere, don't troll here. This is where people try to share knowledge. if you don't, please explain why zero? are you saying that trading forex will ALWAYS result in loss with no possibility of profit?

USD 5,000 will return you USD 432.32...........

thanks NVP, that's under 10%. Is this true? I've been playing with demo account for over 3 months now, and I fare way better than that. but then again, psychological impact between demo account and live account is very different.

Prudent risk management requires risking less that 5% on each trade. That leaves you with $250 at risk per trade or 25 pips for a standard lot. If you can make 1 trade per day with R:R = 1 and have a win rate of about 60% this translates to 150 winners and 100 losers. Net is 50 winners times $250 equals $12,500.

Now subtract about 3 pips per trade for commission and slippage each side and that comes to 250 x 6 x 10 = $15,000

Your net loss is $2,500 although you did very well. Do you get it or not?

are you being sarcastic here? if you do, go elsewhere, don't troll here. This is where people try to share knowledge. if you don't, please explain why zero? are you saying that trading forex will ALWAYS result in loss with no possibility of profit?

thanks NVP, that's under 10%. Is this true? I've been playing with demo account for over 3 months now, and I fare way better than that. but then again, psychological impact between demo account and live account is very different.

(n)

He's trying to help you. Trading is not really for intermediates. It's a professional activity.

In all likelihood, without a great deal of knowledge, skill, experience and emotional discipline, you'll lose the majority of your money. I don't think this just applies to forex either.

If you've only traded on demo, you're not even at an intermediate level, you're a beginner. Just my opinion.

its always that exact amount for me .....no variations here.....trading is a very exact and precise business .......

sigh....
N

it's a difficult question to answer.

what you will make after a year (and after a lifetime of forex trading) will rely entirely on your skills.

look gang

before we even get into arguing about profitablity (sigh)

dont think about Trading in terms of timescale (months,days,years).....its all about the number of trades

thats why its all well and good everyone waffling on about the higher TF's generating the best signals ... but that could be only 1-2 trades a year on the weekly TF's or a handful of trades on the dailys

and at a realistic 2% risk per Trade....that wont pay the rent ......

perhaps 10% per annum on a decent daily TF system ?....... assuming the trades pan out to plan and the dude trading them is being very disciplined in all MM and entry/exit strategies

N

. . . I wish to know the profit level from trading forex. let's say you start with USD 5000, how much will the balance be after one year of trading . . .
Hi motorola,
Welcome to T2W.

Looking at this - and the other thread you've started about technical analysis - I think you might benefit from spending some time in the Trading FAQs forum. There is a FAQ in there which near enough addresses the exact same question you raise here: Realistically, How much Money can I Expect to Make? Additionally, check out the first two links in my signature - if you haven't done so already.
Enjoy!
Tim.

For the vast majority of people starting out that will be the case, you will blow your first account unless you stop before you lose it all.

How much were you expecting to make?

let's say you start with USD 5000, how much will the balance be after one year of trading...

Nobody can answer that for you. However, I will try to shed some light, strictly from my own experience, that you may (or may not) find useful.

The odds are high that you will lose it all. In my estimation, the MACD, Stochastic, or any other form of analysis are only 10% of the game. I would split the remaining 90% equally between discipline and experience.

Unfortunately, the only way to acquire the discipline and experience is to trade with real money. So, I would tell you to trade away ( and good luck to you), have fun, stay small (very small), and if you can stick with it you will start to find your way in solving this puzzle that can never really be solved.:clover:

Last edited:
it's a difficult question to answer.

what you will make after a year (and after a lifetime of forex trading) will rely entirely on your skills.

I agree with you. This will depend entirely on your skill or trading style.
It can be zero or double. :clap: