How many pips does a pro rake in per week on average?

All I want to know is, on 'average' how many pips do proffesional traders bring home every week consitently?

You don't have to tell me your personal average, just the average of lets say the top 1% of traders in this industry?

A good answer would be something like...

150 pips per week or something like that.

I just want the number, I am a noob when it comes to all the fancy lingo people are using.

Thanks for trying though guys:)

67.24 pips. The end.

No offence to those have accurately said this question isn't the best. But instead of just pointing out what the question should be (as GammaJammer did this at the beginning), you know approximately what he/she is asking. So answer it in the correct way. Otherwise the attitude is: Ask me the question in the correct way, otherwise I'm just going to say it is asilly question and ignore you - even though I know exactly what you're trying to get at.

What is a pro's typical expectancy, risk reward ratio (I don't really care about Sharpe ratios, but you can include it if you like)?

This might be useful to know.

All I want to know is, on 'average' how many pips do proffesional traders bring home every week consitently?

You don't have to tell me your personal average, just the average of lets say the top 1% of traders in this industry?

A good answer would be something like...

150 pips per week or something like that.

I just want the number, I am a noob when it comes to all the fancy lingo people are using.

Thanks for trying though guys:)

Sorry to rub this in, but this is honestly meaningless when it comes to professional trading, which is probably why blancspa has single handedly brought it down to his level.

No offence to those have accurately said this question isn't the best. But instead of just pointing out what the question should be (as GammaJammer did this at the beginning), you know approximately what he/she is asking. So answer it in the correct way. Otherwise the attitude is: Ask me the question in the correct way, otherwise I'm just going to say it is asilly question and ignore you - even though I know exactly what you're trying to get at.

What is a pro's typical expectancy, risk reward ratio (I don't really care about Sharpe ratios, but you can include it if you like)?

This might be useful to know.

But Calinor, certainly for the type of trading I do, a risk:reward ration is almost meaningless too.

Yeah, that might be true arabianights. I'm not saying every pro should feel compelled to answer, especially if it has no relevance. I'm just saying it is better to give a good answer to the intent of what they are asking, than just tell them the question is wrong and send them away. Aren't there some pros that have at hand stats on their expectancy, R:R etc?

Sorry to rub this in, but this is honestly meaningless when it comes to professional trading, which is probably why blancspa has single handedly brought it down to his level.

insofar as it can be ascertained,we are working through your eating habits...well when you are ready then Sir :cheesy:

well I'm currently drinking decent whisky (note abscence of e, I just had to educate someone on the difference!) and relatively indecent pepsi.

For supper I had microwaved sainsbury's finest chicken tikka massalla with coriander rice.

Zooming all the way back to brunch I believe I had bacon, tomato and creme fraiche soup from pret.

The rest, as they say (but not normally in this direction, but what do they know) is history :)

well I'm currently drinking decent whisky (note abscence of e, I just had to educate someone on the difference!) and relatively indecent pepsi.

For supper I had microwaved sainsbury's finest chicken tikka massalla with coriander rice.

Zooming all the way back to brunch I believe I had bacon, tomato and creme fraiche soup from pret.

The rest, as they say (but not normally in this direction, but what do they know) is history :)

grants is not decent whisky (n)

Now that's far more of an insight into how the pros operate, live it up big boy.:D

Quote:

how is it meaningless arabianights when it comes to getting pips, that determines how much money you will earn, and everyone does it for the money, am I not correct?

It has been explained why it is meaningless :|

Even if you are prop trading, some instruments move a different number of pips per day. The FTSE might move 60 pips, the Dow might move 100 pips, the zimbabwean currency might move 5000 pips. But in order to get those 5000 pip moves you might have to risk 2000 pips on zimbabwean currency, whereas to get the 60 pip move on the FTSE, you might only need to risk 15 pips. Think about which is better.

who cares what pros do

i am coming round to thinking that half of the "pros" have no idea what they are doing anyway.

there was some story i saw about one of the "top traders" in the city, who apparntly made a bunch of money and did an interview. his strategy was putting huge positions on when greenspan talked, and depending on how greenspan "sounded" to his ear, he would bet

that was the whole strategy

T2w pros:
trainee accountant
drug user
and Genics - waiting for stock market to crash
:LOL:

how is it meaningless arabianights when it comes to getting pips, that determines how much money you will earn, and everyone does it for the money, am I not correct?

I'm going to take this deliberately slowly, in fact excruciatingly so... but I'm hoping it will explain things.

What is the difference between putting £10 on number 9 @ roulette, and putting £180 on black @ roulette?

(Where roulette has neither 0 or 00).

T2w pros:
trainee accountant
drug user
and Genics - waiting for stock market to crash
:LOL:

Blancy old chap...

I was certainly doing illegal drugs by the age of fourteen, and it may have been thirteen.

I did acid before I lost my virginity, still before I was sixteen.

Two days after my sixteenth birthday I did my interview for Cambridge University.

I passed without any effort. Such that I had to take the rest of that year doing A-Levels (which I did almost no effort on) and a gap year before coming up still a little bit below drinking age.

Went to almost no lectures but still managed to get elected year representative by people at school with me. I'll ignore the non academic achievements as they're not relevant but they're far more impressive than that. Might mention getting elected head of year though, just for lulz.

So I'm not a ****ing idiot, alright? I'm almost certainly smarter than you :)

Blancy old chap...

I was certainly doing illegal drugs by the age of fourteen, and it may have been thirteen.

I did acid before I lost my virginity, still before I was sixteen.

Two days after my sixteenth birthday I did my interview for Cambridge University.

I passed without any effort. Such that I had to take the rest of that year doing A-Levels (which I did almost no effort on) and a gap year before coming up still a little bit below drinking age.

Went to almost no lectures but still managed to get elected year representative by people at school with me. I'll ignore the non academic achievements as they're not relevant but they're far more impressive than that. Might mention getting elected head of year though, just for lulz.

So I'm not a ****ing idiot, alright? I'm almost certainly smarter than you :)

I hope so I really hope so, otherwise I would have been wasting my time here

therefore I humbly repeat the fundamentally nurturing me question:
Does it happen gradually or in jumps?

Last edited: