• New to T2W? Welcome! This forum contains a list of the most frequently asked questions (FAQs) that new members want answers to. We don't allow new threads to be created so if you have an idea for a new FAQ please post it in the How the FAQs work thread.

FAQ How Long Does it Take to Make a Stable Income from Trading?

how long 'till you're good.

It's odd that the place where it it looks like I'm supposed to answer your question is already full of text. Where's my wife when I need somebody with a little sense! I'm probably screwing this post up, but anyway...

The question, in case I'm not in the right box or whatever, is "How long does it take to make a stable income from trading?"

If you want to develop the ability to day-trade a naked long or short position in something like the ES, it will take something like 5 years, assuming you have the exceedingly rare combination of talents necessary to do this difficult work in the first place...

Almost nobody has the right stuff. The talent combo includes nerves of steel, a fair degree of intelligence, the ability to sustain purpose for many discouraging frustrating years, the time and money to trade every day of the week, (not just 2 or 3 days per week).... It's very rare to find a person who's got all this.

But they do exist!

I have a close friend who has made his living day-traded for over 25 years. He does it at home on his computer... he started before there were computers. He started with options, but trades mainly e-minis now.

It took him 5 years before he could keep from giving back all the money that he had made. He's a quadriplegic and says that trading the markets has been a big help to his overall life. The fact is, people who have almost no ability to move their arms and no movement at all of their legs (such as my friend) usually don't live nearly as long as he has, and nothing close to as long as he will continue to live.

His passion for trading has kept him out of the clutches of depression and despair, the things that he tells me make quadriplegics give up on life. He has seen it happen.

Anyway, people who make a good living day-trading the markets do exist. For me, knowing that fact for myself, knowing it beyond the shadow of a doubt was essential to my sticking with it for 3 or 4 years. But it wasn't enough.

I didn't start out with all the necessary talents. To this day, when I put on a leveraged day trade, my heart literally pounds as my concentration and IQ circle the drain of adrenalin. It's unlikely that you will be as bad off as I am in this regard, but steady nerves are essential. I was never able to "practice" my way out of my debilitating fear response.

But...

If you find a strategy that is based upon something more predictable than the minute-by-minute rise and fall of market prices, it may take less time to stabilize and start making a living. At least you won't need nerves of steel, that much I know for sure.

But frankly, I'm not sure about the time factor for this type of trading because I don't personally know anybody who's actually made a stable living by trading this way. Perhaps I don't get out much.

I'm having some promising results in recent years, but it's still too early to know if what I'm doing now will keep working for any decent length of time.

But without a doubt, if you start trading all starry-eyed and green, you will lose money fast -- unless you have a close friend who already trades successfully for a living. And even then, he's got to let you watch his every move and trade along with him for years. Or if you know of a web site where there's a pro trader who has taught a trusted friend of yours to make a living, then go there.

But don't get out there by yourself and think you're going to learn to make a living before you lose every cent in your account. You won't. And if you're trading a leveraged vehicle like the ES, you'll be fortunate to lose only the money in your account and not a whole lot more.

If you're a book reader, you'll soon start buying books, most of which are written by well-meaning guys who can't trade for a living themselves. They have decent basic advice, a lot of them, but the bottom line is, if anyone has a clever and simple trading strategy that makes good money, it will only continue to make money while it's unknown. If you tell anybody where the gold is, you've got a stampede like California in 1949... The first 10 scruffy looking guys (as well as the Levi kids, selling blue jeans) make 99 percent of the money. It's always like that with money that appears to be easy to make.

So you've got this one basic choice to make right away. You can either put in the 5 years that it takes to learn to day-trade the simple long and short positions, or you can spend your time searching and trying to come up with something that very few people know about (or are willing to study hard enough to learn about).

I'm taking the second rout because I've admitted to myself that I don't have the kind of unflappable nervous system it takes to trade like my dear, tougher than nails quadriplegic friend.

Really, I wish everybody could meet this great guy.

But here are some suggestions that may be helpful if you decide to head in the same direction I'm going:

Try to find something that seems like a terrible idea when you first think of it. For example, everybody is "trend trading" long positions. What would these people refuse to even think about doing? Hmmm. How about buying something in free fall?

"Never try to catch a falling knife!" This makes intuitive sense.

People who started trading yesterday have already heard it. You never met 'em before but they will look you square in the eye and repeat their solemn admonition as if they were channeling Gann.

And for this reason alone it's fertile ground. You should study it in every variation you can dream up or read about. Trust me on this.

Here's another example: A lot of retail traders think that options (beyond buying them like stocks) are too complex to bother with. And they lose value over time. It's obviously safer to buy stocks, right? Why bother with all that reading, all that math, after all "it's not the vehicle that you trade, it's how good a trader you are," right?

Lots of people think like this, so the rules of the Universe tell us that the study of Options is apt to give you an edge.

Here's another example: Does your trading platform make it easy for you to trade pairs? No. Do you even know what pairs trading is? This should tell you something.

Yeah. If there were a huge demand for pairs from retail traders, these Brokers would all offer the latest pairs trading platforms. But they don't. That means pairs trading may give you at least a temporary advantage. It certainly gave the institutional traders who started it a huge advantage.

A great trader, Erlanger, (hope I spelled that right) once wrote that his best trades made him feel like he was putting his head in a lion's mouth. That says it all.

If a trading strategy seems easy, it's less likely to make money than something counterintuitive, frightening, and obviously dangerous... because if it looks easy, everybody is going to be tempted, including me and you.

So if you choose to trade in the simplest way, with simple long and short positions, with or without some leverage... intending to buy low and sell high or vice-versa, you're going to have to forget finding a "secret" of any kind, and just go ahead spend five or so years developing yourself into something rare.

If your strategy itself isn't radically odd and vanishingly rare, you've got to become an outlier yourself. You've got to develop a skill that takes years to even hope to learn, a skill that requires a rare aggregate of somewhat unrelated talents, and decent horde of cash that you will burn through over a period of several years before you start breaking even.

If anyone can do it the way my friend trades, you can! If you doubt it, don't even try.

Instead, study your head off and read everything you can get your hands on, paper-trade many accounts using different strategies, and always try out new counterintuitive things (in paper accounts) that seem like too much trouble to learn, or too stupid to waste time with, or just the opposite of what your investment councilor told you.

Seriously guys,
yt

I have probably spent 3 years to get to where I am now, the first year I was only looking at trading every now and then. I then wasted a year and a half trying to get Vantagepoint to work. I developed my own successful system about 7 or 8 months ago but then struggled to get the discipline to follow it for another month or two. I suppose if I had been given a successful system to start with I would have got here a lot quicker, however the discipline aspect cant be understated, its definitely not as easy as I thought but it can be done.

hi there !!

It depends solely on the trader as how he learns to trade and how quickly he is understanding the market trends and movements.

I think the slower the better coz its matter of money.....

I'm not sure how long it will take, I am patient and in no hurry as earning a living, elsewhere, although would be nice to be able to trade full-time within 5yr time frame, to enable a little bit more freedom from the office and the 9 to 5.

All I do no for sure, is that I have a lot more chance of becoming profitable in the long-term with the help of this site and threads by the likes of Mr.Charts,Trader_Dante and all the other people who post a common sense view and share their techniques.
(y)

Making a Living from Trading

How long does it take to make a living from trading? I think that definately depends on the individual trader and on his/her style of play. I think it would take a trader atleast 1-2 years before they can hold their own and perhaps a little longer before they can sustain themselves through trading.

The size of capital is also an important factor. Even with a poor trading edge, a trader could probably make a living with a $100,000 capital. Not so much with a trader that starts out with $5,000.

Ultimately, the answers boils down to how fast a trader can develop their trading edge (along with the necessary capital requirement). For a good article on how to find your trading edge check out:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: How long does it take to make a stable income from trading?

After a little less than a year, I'm doing very well on "live demo", for want of a better phrase - trading real money but very small stakes. A little while ago I realised that I'm not ready to step up to trading a proper account yet.

So learning how to trade has taken just under a year - becoming a trader who makes any kind of meaningful amount is going to be a completely different challenge.

After a little less than a year, I'm doing very well on "live demo", for want of a better phrase - trading real money but very small stakes. A little while ago I realised that I'm not ready to step up to trading a proper account yet.

So learning how to trade has taken just under a year - becoming a trader who makes any kind of meaningful amount is going to be a completely different challenge.

...which probably also concludes that demo-trading is still quite different for live-trading, even though you are using the same trading system... I am right?

...which probably also concludes that demo-trading is still quite different for live-trading, even though you are using the same trading system... I am right?

Absolutely.

At the moment, I am trading "profitably" - my account is increasing in size. This is a very small account, the total loss of which, while annoying, would not have any noticeable effect on me.

A little while ago, I decided to try trading using a larger account. Everything was the same except for the positions being bigger, although naturally they were the same in percentage terms.

I got shaken out out of my first two trades at a little over break even. Both rapidly went on to hit my targets. There was no reason at all for this other than nerves - I was simply not ready to have that amount of money at risk.

Psychological problems are getting in the way of effective trade management. I had this before when I first started - the fear of loss was too great, although given the amounts on the line, it might be more correct to say fear of failure. So it's an old problem in a different guise, and I just have to work on resolving it.

There's no question that knowing how to trade and trading for a living are totally different.

Absolutely.

At the moment, I am trading "profitably" - my account is increasing in size. This is a very small account, the total loss of which, while annoying, would not have any noticeable effect on me.

A little while ago, I decided to try trading using a larger account. Everything was the same except for the positions being bigger, although naturally they were the same in percentage terms.

I got shaken out out of my first two trades at a little over break even. Both rapidly went on to hit my targets. There was no reason at all for this other than nerves - I was simply not ready to have that amount of money at risk.

Psychological problems are getting in the way of effective trade management. I had this before when I first started - the fear of loss was too great, although given the amounts on the line, it might be more correct to say fear of failure. So it's an old problem in a different guise, and I just have to work on resolving it.

There's no question that knowing how to trade and trading for a living are totally different.

Hi bud, performance anxiety is a big issue, have you read any of Brett's articles? Might be worth it. Given that they're free to air they're ridiculous value, worth thousands in relation to the courses/forums/gurus people blindly follow...

Now you've developed a system (your own) that you trust and works (for you), you have to practice it and there's only one way of doing it. Weird how what appears to be the simplest bit, once you've finally arrived at the journey's end, can be the most difficult step...

http://www.brettsteenbarger.com/weblog.htm

:) I noticed I post on this thread a year ago..

Since then I built up a little account .. got over confident and lost a lot of it.

Had some more time off to learn more.

Back again with small sum,hundreds not thousands, 5-6 months in it has steadily increased an is quite a respectful sum, I am taking it a lot steadier and feel I have learnt a lot more.:smart:

I note I am coming up to 3yrs a member on here. I have probably be looking at trading for a little longer than that.. So I think I am not far off 5 yrs in.

So I tend to agree, whilst when you first read something like 10yrs it sounds a long time, it is probably realistic. They say you need to spend 10,000 hours doing something to be come an expert in it.

In a years time (hopefully) maybe I will have a trading account that will give me a good side income but realistically it is probably several more years from now until I would consider it a stable income, If the point comes where I am consistently making more a month from trading that my profession I will certainly look at spending time away and trading.. but if I am making a stable income within the next 5yrs I will be impressed.

For me, (I am mid 30s), I look at trading more as my retirement fund than my living. Hopefully it will be able to give me some security in later life. If it works out that I make a living from it in next 5 yrs, so much the better. :D

You can accelerate the learning process by making a journal, making notes, learning, revising, revisiting previous trading sessions.

Neurons and synapses in our brain are real destiny and with proper learning and revision, performance is accelerated.

Caution- All the above steps should be taken along with your regular job/profession.

Well i'm only really starting to learn despite my membership since 2005. I would say its been 18 months of more serious learning and i'm still only getting limited success trading 100 share lots of Nasdaq stocks. Paper Trading did not keep my attention as it meant nothing.

For me the biggest part of it was determining where i wanted to focus my time. I jumped around from FX to UK swing trading and now to day trading US stocks part time after work.

I am now after 18 months of playing writing my trading plan. I suggest that this is one of the first things a new trader does. Plus a journal to document every trade. Had i began writing this sooner, i think i would be further along the development path by now as you cannot lie to yourself when everything is written down!

i've been learning about markets for 2 years, learning to trade for just over 1, learning to trade directionally for one year, and finally found a non directional edge

Hello cofton,
12 years is taking all variables into account. One can know what needs to be done to make money, but not be able to precisely apply it. Dealing with platforms, people and the problems that need to be worked out are endless. Hence 12 years.
This has also given you time to trade your system through more terrain.

A lifetime...more like it. Surely the only successful trader is one that met his maker whislt "in the black"

A lifetime...more like it. Surely the only successful trader is one that met his maker whislt "in the black"

If you view this as a game of probabilities, then if you wait long enough you'll experience a drawdown that'll take you out of the game. Death is cheating the inevitable really.

Surely success is whatever you deem it to be ?

I can tell you my story......2 years to lose 35% of my capital....the next year to get it back....the following year to make 52K ....next year to almost triple it, this year possibility of doubling that. Sounds good right? Now consider I left a job that paid paid over 100k per year. So missed out on 6 years of earning 600k+ and I've made around 350k ....now how smart do I look?......I found it was tuff to get out of my own way while trading....once I did and trusted the plan I turned the corner.

Exactly look at Jesse Livermore arguably one of the most sucessful traders of all time,died broke.

A lot of people who find success aren't in the market everyday because they understand some days aren't worth trading at all. Trading is a lot like poker. You have to learn when the odds are in your favor, and you have to know when to hold and when to fold.