How Do You Find Out The Info??

pudha

I've just finished reading How To Make Money In Stocks using the CANSLIM principle. It states how EPS, Growth, Sales and Profit are essential for your stock to rocket sky high.

The only way you can check up on potential winners is via their website.

The only thing is that there subscription is slightly out of my price range.

How else can I use the CANSLIM method solely on my own research?

In short, where do I get all this info from; EPS, Growth etc??

Are there any websites that list all companies and how they perform?

As you can tell, I'm new to all this!

Thanks

Pudha

Hi Pudha,

Check out www.advfn.com, www.iii.co.uk, www.digitallook.com, www.fool.co.uk, and others. These are general UK equity trading sites with company data, forums, etc. that have tons of info in this area. Bear in mind that trading and investing are insanely competitive arenas populated by banks with massive resources - supercomputers, PhDs, etc. - as well as experienced private/pro traders, etc., and getting an edge against these people is, to say the least, not trivial. Don't let that put you off though. Good luck!

TWI. what is that market map site you sent me??

What will that tell me?

Hey Pudha,

Looks like you and I are on a similar mission. I don't know much about TA and will probably start out with some basic EOD trading or FA.

There is one very important factor in the little mans favour. Namely your own personal fund is not subject to restrictive mandates and complicated compliance mandates. The karate factor. You can do whateva the hell you like. You're also better off tax-wise.

You would not believe the amount of money in the city that under-performs the market (index). All these overpaid Phd benchmark jockeys hugging bonds and having panic attacks come performance reporting time. My theory (completely unfounded I'm sure) is that the bulk of portfolio managers are risk averse academics that seldom have the authority or guts to make risky decisions.

Bottom line: imo you can beat most portfolio managers over the long term simply by holding a handful of quality companies. If you want to be sneaky maybe even see what companies the top funds are holding and benefit from the millions they spent on researching them :eek:

The skilled TA guys will still outperform us though.......

Go for it! I'll be right (behind) you LOL :cheesy:

Attachments

• karate-kitty.jpg
    karate-kitty.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 2,214
Well for my first post on here I hope I can help! With regards to Pudha's question I find that www.digitallook.com has a good screener that can find out pretty much all the fundamental info you need. The marketstars feature they have allows you to backtest any screens you select over a period of up to 5 years which is a nice feature. However you have to pay for marketstars!

One of the most successful strategies I use is based loosely on the can slim method. One aspect I also use is to look at the companies net assets and cash flows. If these are increasing consistently it is a good sign. Otherwise the company can be generating business for its own sake and not actually increasing the company's net worth.

Its true it is a competitive world out there are there are lots of professionals to compete against. One area where us private bods do have an advantage is in the small caps as the big players cannot often invest too heavily here without distorting prices. That's where I begin my searches.

One area where us private bods do have an advantage is in the small caps as the big players cannot often invest too heavily here without distorting prices. That's where I begin my searches.
I'd go along with that, for longer term investing or technical analysis trades. I saw a paper somewhere that concluded TA is more effective on mid caps than micro or large caps, and that's been my experience. I've had quite a bit of success with TA on COLT for example over the years.