how accurate of ADX indicator ?

lkthomas

Hi, I want to ask couple of question about ADX indicator

I heard that when the ADX line trend up close to 20 area, which means the trend are building up, I try to trade with ADX couple of times which is gives me not as accurate as I expected, most likely it's lagging behind the market, I am wondering what combination of indicator work best with ADX ? ( I am using MACD + ADX, still lagging behind...)

Thanks all

ok, I got those knowledge already, I want to getting advance on 5-15mins trade with ADX, anyone could suggest some useful docs please ?! Thanks.

It would depend on the timescale of the charts that you are using.

In general the longer the timescale the lower the ADX period.

I use the ADX in a totally different way to you, I find that looking for vee bottoms, a breakout from a flat market and the begining of a trend difficult to read.

The best way is to look back a couple years through your charts with various periods for the ADX and see what works for you.

Personally I would not do what you are doing, yes you can get some big moves but also I find a lot of false signals.

ADX is no more useful as a signal generator than using the cross over of two moving averages, which of course means (like all indicators) it is lagging. The ADX is the only indicator I use on my charts, but I only use it to keep me in strong breakout moves, hence I pay attention only to the trend following line, ignoring the directional lines.

So essentially I find the ADX a nice indicator to use as an exit tool on breakout moves, and support, resistance, trend lines and the price action itself for entries. I use the ADX on 1H charts with a setting of 11, but best to play around with it yourself to see which suits you best on the timeframe you use.

I have done a beginners article on it here: http://akuma99.blogspot.com/2005/11/theory-adx.html if it is of any help.

Last edited: