Historical ES spread

shakeshuck

I have just started playing with the market depth indicator in J/Trader (actually they call it DOME ) provided as a demo by Berkeley. The ES data on there is old; there are contracts for Mar, Jun, Sep and Dec 03.
It is really easy to pick up 0.50 and 0.75 pts taking advantage of the bid/ask spread - this is the odd bit - which moves out to 1.5 pts at times.

What I would like to know is why there is a 1.5 pt spread? My guesses are:

1) The eminis weren't that popular in 2003, and volatility has increased a lot since then,
2) They may have been far-reaching contracts,
3) The data is from an overnight session.

Does anyone here know if any of the above are likely to cause a large spread, or is there another possible reason? If I can work out the circumstances I am sure there are opportunities to be had elsewhere. ;)

Cheers!

shakeshuck said:
I have just started playing with the market depth indicator in J/Trader (actually they call it DOME ) provided as a demo by Berkeley. The ES data on there is old; there are contracts for Mar, Jun, Sep and Dec 03.
It is really easy to pick up 0.50 and 0.75 pts taking advantage of the bid/ask spread - this is the odd bit - which moves out to 1.5 pts at times.

What I would like to know is why there is a 1.5 pt spread? My guesses are:

1) The eminis weren't that popular in 2003, and volatility has increased a lot since then,
2) They may have been far-reaching contracts,
3) The data is from an overnight session.

Does anyone here know if any of the above are likely to cause a large spread, or is there another possible reason? If I can work out the circumstances I am sure there are opportunities to be had elsewhere. ;)

Cheers!

The spread on the exchange is a function of the liquidity going through the exchange at any one time. It is true to say that at some times in the day, especially in the mornings GMT that the spread may be larger as liquidity is thinner.

The spread on the front month mini s&p is 0.25point when the main session is open and may be half a point in the mornings.