Help needed -"blue screen of death"

Dinos

Veteren member
Hi all,

Can I ask any of you IT "boffins" for a bit of advise, I acquired the "Blue Screen of death", I understand, this was a bad patch by Microsoft.

I've tried as much as I know and there has being a marked improvement, but it still goes at the most inopportune times, I've had to turn off my auto updates, as every time an attempt was made, the inevitable happened.

Any body who has experienced this, knows how frustrating it is, any advise anybody can give would be much appreciated.

Regards

Rob

Thanks for responding, yes, googled it, many varied opinions available, tried a few with no success. Very frustrating.

Two utilities that may help you:

(1) "Who Crashed" – gives a good analysis of any crash
(2) "Malwarebytes" – you only need the free edition, it will find any viruses or other undesirable on your PC.

You can find these by Googling: best to download from the parent sites otherwise you sometimes get a load of other junk that you don't want.

Two utilities that may help you:

(1) "Who Crashed" – gives a good analysis of any crash
(2) "Malwarebytes" – you only need the free edition, it will find any viruses or other undesirable on your PC.

You can find these by Googling: best to download from the parent sites otherwise you sometimes get a load of other junk that you don't want.

Thank you

Dinos,

Blue screening is not easy to diagnose - chances are it's not the microsoft upgrade that is at fault here. It is either an out-of-date system driver (e.g. motherboard drivers) that need upgrading or (probably more likely) you have a hardware issue.

First thing to do is to go to your PC manufacturers site and download all their latest drivers and install them.

Next I would recommend you do a memory test...

You may have developed a memory fault, or perhaps the memory is overclocked too high - this is the usual cause from my own experience, it could be that you don't hit the faulty part of memory unless the computer is doing a memory intensive upgrade.

To test the memory - follow the instructions here.. it's a standard microsoft test - no install necessary... http://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/test-your-ram-with-windows-memory-diagnostic-tool/

You could also put your CPU through a stress test, upgrades can be quite demanding on your PC. If you are still getting blue screening after upgrades and memory test take a look at this page and try one of the stress tests to see if they make your PC blue screen. https://www.raymond.cc/blog/test-system-stability-by-putting-heavy-load-on-system-resources/

Let me know how you get on - if you find any issues I can take you through how to detune your PC to make it more stable - or show you what new parts to buy.

My 2 cents :)

If you have 1/2 day to spare then.... backup all your files to the cloud (google drive/dropbox/etc) or a USB drive (if they are not backed up already) reinstall the operating system [checking first you have the installation key], install all outstanding windows updates, and finally move your personal items back onto the PC. Fixed!

You'll probably save time overall re-building from scratch as opposed to the thankless task of hunting out the cause of the blue screen issue - and you'll end up with a faster PC at the end of it [as you won't have all the junk applications that end up being installed on the PC over time].

Also if you're not yet running on an SSD hard disk and your PC is 3+ years old, buying a new SSD hard disk and the performance you'll get from that that will make the PC feel like its brand new...

Agree with Hoggum's & f2calv's advice.

If it started occurring after a patch update most probable cause hardware/sw driver issue.

It could also be recent software that's been installed which happens to be badly written code / accessing memory area it's not supposed to. Or even one that doesn't shutdown it self properly leaving bits of code in RAM. ie Rogue or badly written app.

When you get the BSoD the first few lines should have some HEX/error codes that identifies or indicates offending issue.

If you could post a screen shot using phone to capture image and post here we might be able to help with pointers.

If you can also say whoat HW and OS you are currently using it may help.

Finally, looking into eventvwr may help identify errors or warnings that may contribute to BSoD.

Good luck (y)

Guys, thank you for your advice, very much appreciated, I'll have a go tonight and see how I get, again, thanks.

Rob