Help: I'm Being Spammed by YouTube!

timsk

Legendary member
Afternoon all,
If there are any YouTube experts out there that can assist me - I'd be ever so grateful as I'm tearing my hair follicles out (the hair itself went long ago) with frustration. Every time I log on to YouTube I'm used to seeing a handful of channels (3 - 6 at a guess) with: '(Channel name) Recommended channel for you'. I keep on top of them so the list doesn't get of out of hand. Well, as of today, I'm getting hundreds and, no matter what I try, I can't prevent them from coming back. I've deleted my 'Watch History', clicked the 'Not Interested' X to the right of the red subscribe box and, even, clicked on 'Not Interested' from the drop down menu, then on 'Tell Us Why', then checked the box: 'I'm not interested in this channel: (Channel name)' followed by submit. Yet they still come back. And they're videos on subjects I never, ever, look at (e.g. cartoons, cars and rap music) and some are even in Chinese without subtitles! This has only started happening today, so I'm thinking it's some sort of virus or malware etc. The odd thing about that is that I'm using a Google Chrome device which is supposed to prevent that sort of nonsense. The catch-22 I suppose is that it's coming from Google itself. Grrrr!

Anyway, any suggestions as to how I can stop the onslaught would be much appreciated.
(y)
Tim.

Try deleting cache and download history. For Chrome browser go menus:
Settings (3 dots top right hand corner) / Advanced (at bottom of page) / Privacy and security/clear browsing data/ – Top 4 choices as applicable.

Afternoon all,
If there are any YouTube experts out there that can assist me - I'd be ever so grateful as I'm tearing my hair follicles out (the hair itself went long ago) with frustration. Every time I log on to YouTube I'm used to seeing a handful of channels (3 - 6 at a guess) with: '(Channel name) Recommended channel for you'. I keep on top of them so the list doesn't get of out of hand. Well, as of today, I'm getting hundreds and, no matter what I try, I can't prevent them from coming back. I've deleted my 'Watch History', clicked the 'Not Interested' X to the right of the red subscribe box and, even, clicked on 'Not Interested' from the drop down menu, then on 'Tell Us Why', then checked the box: 'I'm not interested in this channel: (Channel name)' followed by submit. Yet they still come back. And they're videos on subjects I never, ever, look at (e.g. cartoons, cars and rap music) and some are even in Chinese without subtitles! This has only started happening today, so I'm thinking it's some sort of virus or malware etc. The odd thing about that is that I'm using a Google Chrome device which is supposed to prevent that sort of nonsense. The catch-22 I suppose is that it's coming from Google itself. Grrrr!

Anyway, any suggestions as to how I can stop the onslaught would be much appreciated.
(y)
Tim.

Have you tried just not logging in, I've never created an account for youtube but still manage to watch everything, I just don't need to know the instant someone brings out a new vid as I just visit their site and refresh all uploads and the latest are at the top.

I don't see the benefit of an account unless you are a contributor or wish to comment, your needs might be different of course. Not having an account means less tracking and spying reporting on your preferences which inevitably result in more email spam and risk of data breach etc.

Alternatively try creating a new account and see how that performs.

Youtube is dying a slow death, just as facebook is, lots of people are moving to alternative platforms (in the political sphere at least).

Try deleting cache and download history. For Chrome browser go menus:
Settings (3 dots top right hand corner) / Advanced (at bottom of page) / Privacy and security/clear browsing data/ – Top 4 choices as applicable.

I'd suggest that this might be a cookie issue and that deleting the specific ones might help.

I'm fairly paranoid about anything web related and completely clean out my browser caches (all cookies apart from my exceptions!!) on a daily basis, run simple malware etc scans on boot-up every day and full system scans at least once a week. I also stopped using Windows for almost everything some years ago, which in itself has reduced the crap quotient to almost zero.

Bad luck Tim, frustrating I'm sure.

But I wonder if the absence of a history drives Youtube to bombard you with a randomised selection. So if they don't know your preferences they just cast the widest net and then rely on you to narrow it down. Again.

The only puzzle now is how on earth you are getting my favourited clips - Chinese cartoons, Chinese cars and Chinese rap music - while I'm getting boring stuff on trading from Anton Kreil?

I'd suggest that this might be a cookie issue and that deleting the specific ones might help.

I'm fairly paranoid about anything web related and completely clean out my browser caches (all cookies apart from my exceptions!!) on a daily basis, run simple malware etc scans on boot-up every day and full system scans at least once a week. I also stopped using Windows for almost everything some years ago, which in itself has reduced the crap quotient to almost zero.
Agree with that – i'm very selective with cookies and don't seem to get any problems – though for many users who just want to turn the key and get it started, it's all a bit of a pain. I also use "Ghostery" to prevent tracking very effectively – it's amazing how many sites are spying on you. I have Linux as an alternative set up and the only reason I use Windows is because I have 2 essential programs that don't work on Linux regardless of what tweaking you do! i would think for many people using something like linux lite is a very cost effective solution. For anybody unfamiliar with Linux and wanting to try it – you can run it from a memory stick/DVD without changing what you've got on your PC and in terms of feel it's just like running Windows only easier!

Thank you one and all for your various tips and suggestions. I've done my best to implement each one (bar Sig's) without success I'm afraid. As well as all the stuff I have zero interest in, I also get videos I've watched before. If I want to keep one that's of particular interest I save it to 'My Playlist'; otherwise I don't want the same video cropping up time and again. Very annoying!

Sig' - I do have an account because I like to comment on some videos - usually the ones on Brexit!

Thanks again chaps,
Tim.

Hmmmm, curiouser and curiouser......

As an afterthunk, have you tried using a VPN? ....I find that even using Opera's pretend one that the garbage thrust at me by Youtube is completely different....with VPN I seem to get endless Simon F*** Cowell offerings with every kind of Talentless show you can imagine - all of which is so far from useful or interesting it might as well be pre-treated sewage.... but without it, I get things that I have actually expressed an interest in, e.g Mongolian throat singing, Venezuela, Trading and the perils of Obesity......

BTW: regarding your predilection for Brexit threads - imho any involvement should be for entertainment purposes only as any serious effort will just wind you up. An appropriate adage I came across some years ago: "Never try and teach a pig to sing. You will waste your time and it will annoy the pig"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you one and all for your various tips and suggestions. I've done my best to implement each one (bar Sig's) without success I'm afraid. As well as all the stuff I have zero interest in, I also get videos I've watched before. If I want to keep one that's of particular interest I save it to 'My Playlist'; otherwise I don't want the same video cropping up time and again. Very annoying!

Sig' - I do have an account because I like to comment on some videos - usually the ones on Brexit!

Thanks again chaps,
Tim.

hey Tim

what about contacting yuotube ? ....N

Hmmmm, curiouser and curiouser......

BTW: regarding your predilection for Brexit threads - imho any involvement should be for entertainment purposes only as any serious effort will just wind you up. An appropriate adage I came across some years ago: "Never try and teach a pig to sing. You will waste your time and it will annoy the pig"

so a little like what the politicians are doing then ? :)

N

Hi cant',
. . .As an afterthunk, have you tried using a VPN?. . .
I'm afraid I can't be doing with shenanigans like this - waaaay too techie and geeky for a simpleton like me!

Like it!
(y)
There's one channel (re. Brexit) that I comment on the most which is run by a remoaner. He's a decent bloke and fair minded, so our exchanges are courteous and civil. Some of his followers are idiots, but I've seen most of them off over time with a deadly combo' of patience and simple logic!
Tim.

hey Tim

what about contacting yuotube ? ....N
Hi NVP,
Novel idea. I'll 'Send Feedback' and see what happens. My money is on an automated reply directing me to pages that explain how I can manage my account etc. Thanks for the suggestion - it's now my only hope!
Tim.

I'm afraid I can't be doing with shenanigans like this - waaaay too techie and geeky for a simpleton like me!

Opera has a VPN included in its standard form. To turn it on one merely has to click a button.....I think even you might be able to master that, after a few tries....:p

There's one channel (re. Brexit) that I comment on the most which is run by a remoaner. He's a decent bloke and fair minded, so our exchanges are courteous and civil. Some of his followers are idiots, but I've seen most of them off over time with a deadly combo' of patience and simple logic!
Tim.

Courtesy? Civility? Patience? Logic?....together with Brexit!!!????? Not in my neck of the multiverse:rolleyes:

Hi cant',

Like it!
(y)
Tim.

Got a link?

Re-education and de-radicalisation are my speciality.:)