Has anyone been succesful with trading???

Merdox
that's fine but I still recommend you close your account until your confidence has been restored.

then, when you are ready, open it with a completely fresh tranche of funds and a blank sheet.

you do not want any past fears or regrets around you. its the psychological baggage which is very very difficult to get rid of.

Great Advice

Hi Merdox
You've had some great, if differing, advice here. I favour the 100 share route instead of paper-trading, very much for the same reasons as Timsk.

As a novice, I am only just at the point where my heart-rate doesn't change when I place a trade :)

As a few people have said in other threads, when you get bored with trading, you're probably a successful trader. Don't underestimate the emotional side of trading, everybody told me at the beginning about this and I thought I knew better. Guess what! Thanks to great advice from people on this board I feel things are becoming much more positive.

One thing - keep a log of all your live trades, entry reason, time and date, stop and fill price. Then make your first job the next day to analyse the previous day's trades. I found that, in the heat of the moment, I was not following my entry/exit rules - this way is a good reinforcement, especially when you see how much money you could have made if you had followed the rules! It's also interesting to see how you get clobbered on the slippage sometimes and will give you a good average.

Good luck.

couple of things ... where do you think you are going wrong?

can you say what your basic objectives are and how you are going to achieve them, relating this to method of highlighting risk opportunity, (basics, breaks, volatility, s/r or indicators, whatever) thinking behind method of entry, market, stops, exits timeframe. etc..

I mean its hard to say where to start without knowing what you think you are trying to achieve and how.

if we stick to three basics,

mind edge
money edge
method edge.

do you feel confident with , 1 or 2, none etc...

I'm not sure discussing this will help because as you might know , so many opinions may come forward and even make things seem more confusing, but thats up to you to filter through..., you have to eventually find your way through it..... but you may get some basic pointers maybe........

I think you may experience a kind of catch 22, maybe the method is not good enough, which may lead to mind pressure, doubts, fears, etc. or the method could be good but the mind operates from the start with doubts, fears etc..

kinda like chicken and the egg syndrome. its then down to you , dusting yourself off, stepping back and analysing, yourself, your method , your market.

best wishes with it mate...

DoubleSix said:
Merdox
that's fine but I still recommend you close your account until your confidence has been restored.

then, when you are ready, open it with a completely fresh tranche of funds and a blank sheet.

you do not want any past fears or regrets around you. its the psychological baggage which is very very difficult to get rid of.

Extending this line of thought.... might as well open it with a new provider... .. amazing what the brain does when you retrun to old haunts.

And like I said, do not watch the screen..... unless you are on horse sedatives !! Which I guess means looking at a different strategy around longer timeframe charts.

Merdox said:
In responce to some of the questions that were asked. Yes, I have always used a trading plan and the more I traded the more I was able to fine tune it (this worked great for my demo trading). For me personaly I can't tell what I did differant between my demo and my real account. The only thing I can think of is on my real account I would sit and watch my trades, where I wouldn't do that on my demos.

And for anyone who has done that it can be a hair pulling experience. So what would happen alot is after a halfhour to an hour of watching the pips go from -5 to plus 5 I would just take it off the board making a couple of pips or loosing a couple of pips. Only to watch it shortly later go in my favor 20 pips.
Joseph

If your trading results are affected by whether you are watching the trade or not then It sounds as though you have a trading plan for the entries but not the exits. In my experience the exit strategy is at least as important, if not more important than the entry strategy. I would suggest that you work out how you are going to manage your trades once you are in them and then stick to that plan whether you are trading demo or real money.

HTH

This is such an interesting question, and full marks for asking it. Many wouldn't have the guts to do that...

No-one can tell you whether to close your account, to step back and take a break, or what to do. No-one that is except you. And that requires self-honesty. In fact trading requires self-honesty.

As an ex-pit trader this is all I can really say.

In order to trade successfully, we first have to overcome the human condition. We have to be able to admit we 'might' be wrong. We have to face up to our fears, our greed and a host of other emotions. We have to in effect short circuit so many of the socially acceptable behaviours we are brought up with like 'be careful'. We have to accept losing and move on immediately like it doesn't matter. We have to be thick skinned. We have to accept that 90% of the time we have absolutely no idea what's happening. We have to accept that we in effect know nothing and the market knows everything. We have to leave our EGOs at the door when we go to work.

Most of the best traders do absolutely nothing for about 80% of the time. We have to bo organised, disciplined. We absolutely must not think about the money. We absolutely must think about trading the trade correctly (win or lose).

Three things I heard recently that really ring.

The market always gives you what you really want.
If you really want to win - you'll eventually win, if you don't, you'll eventually lose. How true that is I don't know, but I do wonder...

Be very patient with your winners and be very impatient with your losers.
Let winners run to their potential, whatever that may be. Don't be too quick to grab a small profit unless there's a very good reason to get out. But, if it isn't going your way, get out. it probably isn't that good a trade...

Tick watching? WHY?
All its ever going to do to watch every single tick is exhaust you and fake you out of good trades. Look in from time to time or set alerts or something.

Getting a good method is part of the battle. Most of the battle is psychological. If you need to make money you won't. If you just play your edge (providing you have one) you'll make money anyway.

Can't think of much more to say, other than you need to step up and make your own decisions. You need to face up to yourself. Your strengths, your weaknessess, accept them, set them aside, and Play your EDGE, or get out of the market altogether. You need to choose for yourself...

ADDED and you need to make that same choice every single day...

Last edited:
Has anyone been successful with trading???
No.
Didn't you know that, Merdox?
Everyone fails.
Thats correct.
Everyone fails.
Well, except a few that is, but, sorry, you won't be joining them.
:)

fudgestain said:
No.
Everyone fails.
Thats correct.
Everyone fails.

What a discouraging comment ..... :devilish:

fudgestain said:
No.
Everyone fails.
Thats correct.
Everyone fails.

what a shame that someone actually says that. Merdox is nice enough to present his situation (which is very similar to mine), and fudgestain, you just plainly witouth any solid explanation concluding that EVERYONE FAILS -- maybe you are. I'm sorry but shame on you!

I personally know some people who made tons of money. My friend, the one who got me into forex, actually manages money for people. He built the account from $10k in May to $120k now. Yes, there are people who successfully trade forex for a living. So the question is how they do it. And thanks to the ignorant fudgestain's comment, everyone either fails or is not good enough to play the forex game with him. Please, if you don't know what to say, then just shut up.

Anyway, knowledge will make you rich. I am about to take some training classes for forex. I wasted about 2 grand on TAPSEP before (check my previous posts), and I am not ashamed at saying that. It's an expensive lesson for me: if you don't know what to do or getting emotionally or coward (not trading/ quitting -- which I was for the past few months), then it's better to get some good education.

TALK TO PEOPLE WHO ARE MAKING MONEY IN FOREX, that will give you some new perspective. If you talk to the traders who doesn't make money (consistently I mean), then what's the point? Right?

If things go well for me, I'll be posting result on my forex course. So hopefully I can help other people too.

Good luck and have a good thanksgiving.

Alex

Get yourself a mentor/coach, someone who has been a successful trader for a long time. Take great care choosing the mentor: his/her methods must be such that you can adapt them to your suit your personality. You get to hear of good mentors by word of mouth. The fewer number of students the mentor has, the more time/attention you will get. Have a detailed chat with the prospective mentor before signing up because you need to understand if this will be a good match; your mentor also should not accept anybody who comes their way. You must be able to trust your mentor and his/her trading ability. If you have doubts, you obviously didn't do your homework. The relationship will not work if you have the slightest doubt.

Decide how you learn best: does reading suit you or do you get more out of classroom training? If classroom training is beneficial, go to a workshop with your mentor, spend the whole day with him/her. If necessary, go to the same workshop every year to re-inforce the messages. It costs money (unless your mentor is exceptionlly altruistic), but who said training was cheap?

Work with your mentor to prepare a trading plan that gives you an edge. Trade very small, until you are consistently profitable. My mentor says on average it takes 3 years for a trader to become consistently profitable (for those that do become successful, that is, and note the word average). Stick to the trading plan day in, day out. The trading plan will evolve over time, but that's OK. It must become 'your' trading plan and not something the mentor handed out to you.

Then do the boring stuff: trade the exactly same way every day, log your trades, analyse past trades, amend the trading plan slightly to avoid mistakes and repeat the cycle. If you are not sure if a failed trade was due to a mistake, back test the hell out of the pattern/situation till you are happy. Ask your mentor.

Don't increase capital by big jumps. You may be a great trader when the total capital is £5,000, chances are you will fail if you jump straight to £50,000 because the of the fear of larger pound loss. Once you are confident with your trading plan, increase your trading capital by a little bit every month. Discuss the details with your mentor.

The first rate academic or the great sportsperson doesn't reach the top by changing their strategy/plan every month. They win by selecting a coach, a method that suits them and gives them an edge (this process takes some time and experimenting and yes, plenty of money till you are successful enough to get a sponsor) and then sticking to it, day in and day out. The top athletes go to practice at 6am everyday, rain or shine (to the same practice regime). They go to bed at 10pm every evening, they don't party on weekends and they don't steal the occasional bites of pizza. Do you think they don't like fun or partying or excitement or variety? They do, but they have their priorities set, and their coaches look after them. They also have setbacks, often long periods of setbacks, they have injuries, they sometimes lose the motivation. That's life. They and their coaches constantly check if the setbacks are due to them not sticking to the plan, or if the plan/regime has lost some of its edge, or this is just normal period of setbacks.

The successful academic and sportsperson constantly visualise themselves performing. They visualise all the different scenarios that could occur and how they would react. When a similar event occurs, they already know the answer. Visualise charts in your mind, visualise patterns, visualise difficult trading scnearios and how you would react. Visualise yourself having a long period of losses, how would you react? Visualise yourself as a master trader, full of confidence, taking or passing up trades with great poise and self-belief. A pleasant place full of lights, where you are in total control: that's your life projected forward in time.

Now think: why should it be any different for trading? Has anything superior in the world ever been achieved without the long hours spent at it, without guidance, without discipline, without setbacks and without sacrificing the excitement of variety? Has anything of worth ever been achieved overnight or in a few months?

Last edited:
sr3d, I did say the few make it as exceptions.
But what do you really know?
Most hope and talk about trading is without reality.
There are times when seasoned speculators withdraw and stop for good after big losses. And even sometimes they get wiped out.

Fudgestain,

First of all, asking people what they know is not really a question. Tell me what you know first and I'll let you know what I know. It's okay if you don't know anything. I don't care. My point in the previous post is that instead of constructively contribute to the post, you wrote negatively and without any reason concluding on your own point of view. To me, that's bogus. Also, please stop being stuck-up and learn to respect other people.

Fudgstain, I don't want to continue this post by writing against you, but please, be quiet or be more constructive and provide your own arguments instead of concluding "most hope and talk about trading is without reality".

sr3d said:
Fudgestain,

First of all, asking people what they know is not really a question. Tell me what you know first and I'll let you know what I know. It's okay if you don't know anything. I don't care. My point in the previous post is that instead of constructively contribute to the post, you wrote negatively and without any reason concluding on your own point of view. To me, that's bogus. Also, please stop being stuck-up and learn to respect other people.

Fudgstain, I don't want to continue this post by writing against you, but please, be quiet or be more constructive and provide your own arguments instead of concluding "most hope and talk about trading is without reality".
So sweet.
Wants to believe in fairies and Father Xmas.

Hi Merdox
Firstly can I say going back to demo trading will not help one bit it will only serve to instill a false sense of security and confidence

What you need to change is your focus, at the moment your primary focus is on not losing, which is why you watch the trade tick up but as soon as it ticks down slightly you fear another loss and close the position

Guess what REAL Traders lose too ( even George sorros ) its part of the job but their focus is different

Can I ask the following
How?
What ?
When?
And Why? do you trade. feel free to PM if you dont want to post the answers

dc2000 said:
Hi Merdox
Firstly can I say going back to demo trading will not help one bit it will only serve to instill a false sense of security and confidence

What you need to change is your focus, at the moment your primary focus is on not losing, which is why you watch the trade tick up but as soon as it ticks down slightly you fear another loss and close the position

Guess what REAL Traders lose too ( even George sorros ) its part of the job but their focus is different

Can I ask the following
How?
What ?
When?
And Why? do you trade. feel free to PM if you dont want to post the answers

Very constructive ... now you are starting to get somewhere, but keep it on the board in my opinion to allow a broad range of input. You can resort to PM at any time.
You know enough to sort out good advice from the other stuff.

Hi Commanderco
Agreed, the PM was just an option if he didn't want to post specifics

dc2000 said:
Hi Commanderco
Agreed, the PM was just an option if he didn't want to post specifics

I only mentioned it because people can be inclined to think that they have created secret codes
the equivalent of gold bars and all from manipulating H, L,C, maybe O and maybe volume and maybe OI.
This secret squirrel mentality is just a stage in the learning process and a very restrictive one at that and a Trader needs to pass beyond this nonsense towards the application of numbers just as quickly as possible.
Ask M.Schumaker the secret to driving a F1 car to victory.
Well, it is one foot on the throttle, the other on the brake. Both hands on the wheel, one finger for the paddle. Watch the cars in front, watch the cars behind. Dont cook the engine, dont run out of gas and above all cross the finish line ahead of every other car.

Where is the secret in that!!!

commanderco said:
I only mentioned it because people can be inclined to think that they have created secret codes
the equivalent of gold bars and all from manipulating H, L,C, maybe O and maybe volume and maybe OI.
This secret squirrel mentality is just a stage in the learning process and a very restrictive one at that and a Trader needs to pass beyond this nonsense towards the application of numbers just as quickly as possible.
Ask M.Schumaker the secret to driving a F1 car to victory.
Well, it is one foot on the throttle, the other on the brake. Both hands on the wheel, one finger for the paddle. Watch the cars in front, watch the cars behind. Dont cook the engine, dont run out of gas and above all cross the finish line ahead of every other car.

Where is the secret in that!!!
There is no secret. But there is quality of thought. And there is action according to the quality of thought applied. This combination, if better than that of the competition, makes him normal, and allows him to set a benchmark, by which the outcome may be judged relevant to the performance and thought quality of the others.

I cant say I have any secret codes or gold bars, I have a way of calculating likely moves on various indices that works quite well though.But Merdox's problem is not how to find good trades its one of application of those trades to produce profitability

Your F1 analogy works quite well apart from the fact that not all F1 cars are equal it is the car that gives the driver an edge but equally the driver must have the ability to take advantage of that edge

SOCRATES said:
There is no secret. But there is quality of thought. And there is action according to the quality of thought applied. This combination, if better than that of the competition, makes him normal, and allows him to set a benchmark, by which the outcome may be judged relevant to the performance and thought quality of the others.
I must be thick, does any one else understand what SOCRATES wrote? :rolleyes: