Google number-of-results trading - has this been tried?

neil9327

I've got an idea for a trading methodology, which is to use the number of results returned for a company name in a google search, over time, to get an impression of whether a company is being talked about more (or less) on the web in general, which might have some predictive powers about changes in its share price.

Just wondering whether this is something that has been tried before, to your knowledge, and (if it has) where can I get some more information on it.

It would probably have to be automated, which I can do as I am a software developer, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel, so to speak, if it doesn't work or if it is already being done to death by other traders already.

Thanks.

been done mate

even engines have been trading what is most searched for in google, not just stocks.

Isn't there a fund starting up in the UK that's gonna try to trade based on Twitter?

I herd about something like this a while a go, the guy had developed some software that I think was called "the spider" or something like that. It trolled the internet looking for people talking about certain things like stocks, commodities and what not to try and front the market. Not sure how his endeavour went though.