Good prospects and undervalued (USA)

Buying News Corp NWSA heavily and adding to DE and IBM positions, taken some profit on JW.A.

I'm looking at JW.A at the current price, a fantastic company and one that I have bought in bulk.

Recap of calls as of today, JW.A at around 37, NOV 67, FMS 32, and DTV 49.

Sold RGA at 60.

Exited jw.a for 40% gain, DirecTv fast approaching 50% gain, reduced. Varco up 20%, reduced.

Exited micro cap banks, (IBM small loss), DE, LMCA and NWSA in profit, loading a third of portfolio into a new idea.

Third of market cap in cash, 50% fcf, fantastic recurring business model, excellent innovative management/founder, with catalysts arriving this new year.

Hope trading is keeping you afloat the s&p!! Remember, $10000 annualised at 20% over 30 years would give you 2.4 million to spend at the end...

Last edited:
Starting to see value particularly in Chinese equities, China Mobile, Cnooc, Petrochina etc.. Not personal buys however due to better risk reward opportunities available. For those looking for emerging markets exposure however, this may be the time to load up.

One company that I do like is Scripps Networks Interactive, fantastic economics, sector positioned for growth, good management, and a fairly good valuation.

We should feel truly blessed to inhabit the earth with this wonderful meritocratic market system. It allows us to live so freely and affluently. Big milestone passed today, feeling appreciative!

Don't worry about it Scose :D

OGZD, looks very healthy cash wise.

Buy price, $6.42. Target of $11.96.

Note that it is currently undervalued but the margin of safety I would look for gives the aforementioned buy price.

Best regards

No I think he has a few DCFs, probably put together with material from a degree course, that he believes in. It's the only explanation I can come up with for these valuations. The Gazprom thing sealed it for me, personally.

You're not selling anything are you, James?

A winner emerges?? A low of 640.5 if i'm not mistaken, almost like magic!

Last edited:
For those still interested in Apple and like its prospects, it is now undervalued.

The fair value of Apple has moved northward since I wrote $425, and is currently trading at around a 17% discount to fair value. If I was a gambling man, $405 would be my entry, looking for a 50% bounce.

"Time is the great revealer of secrets, and it is also, in another sense, the great detector of forgeries" (Conybeare, 1995)

I hope we all have good memories.

Starting to see value particularly in Chinese equities, China Mobile, Cnooc, Petrochina etc.. Not personal buys however due to better risk reward opportunities available. For those looking for emerging markets exposure however, this may be the time to load up.

One company that I do like is Scripps Networks Interactive, fantastic economics, sector positioned for growth, good management, and a fairly good valuation.

Scripps network looks interesting. When would you look to buy? When the current trend reverses?

Sorry R118. Newbie Q....Why does the 30 day av volume for Scripps say zero? I guess the GR is also the German market also? Thanks.

Many Thanks James...Now now why you are talking to yourself all the time here! You obviously never misinterpreted an unfamiliar thing in your life have you?

For those still interested in Apple and like its prospects, it is now undervalued.

The fair value of Apple has moved northward since I wrote $425, and is currently trading at around a 17% discount to fair value. If I was a gambling man, $405 would be my entry, looking for a 50% bounce.

Worked out well

Entire portfolio turnover to accommodate wealth of new opportunity in the market.

Bought liberty global at 38ish, buying ascent capital, buying spark networks, buying travelzoo.

Also bought mobilestreams at 16ish.

Best valuations since 2011 in some technology sectors, fantastic prospects across portfolio.

With stocks near all time highs and stagnant earnings growth, there is not that many undervalued companies or sectors. However, two sectors worth looking at are precious metals miners and oil drilling companies. These areas are both depressed mainly based on sentiment and trade at favorable valuations.

Top Names include Seadrill (SDRL), Keppel (SGX:KPL), Goldcorp (GG), Fresnillo (LON:FRES), Ensco (ESV), Southern Copper (SCCO) and Silver Wheaton (SLW)

With stocks near all time highs and stagnant earnings growth, there is not that many undervalued companies or sectors. However, two sectors worth looking at are precious metals miners and oil drilling companies. These areas are both depressed mainly based on sentiment and trade at favorable valuations.

Top Names include Seadrill (SDRL), Keppel (SGX:KPL), Goldcorp (GG), Fresnillo (LON:FRES), Ensco (ESV), Southern Copper (SCCO) and Silver Wheaton (SLW)

Some of the above issues are indeed undervalued, but can you determine their future performance?

With Spark Networks for example you have a market leader in the online dating space for Mormons, Jews etc.

This is a valuable asset, people go where there is a better chance of finding a date. There's no other vendor like this for these groupings, or no alternative service where they can get this exposure to their ideological counterparts.

Jdate is a brand associated with resultant marriage, brands are important mixed with a positive experience, if you can call marriage that.

Obviously these groups are wealthy and steadily growing, spark also has other growing assets eg. Christian mingle, and management is, if I and others get our wish, will be reorganised and reinvigorated soon.

For these reasons, plus others incliding valuation, I believe Spark offers a good risk reward profile at prices trading under 4.6

One particular business that stands out right now is an Argentinian business, which you can access via an ADR.

Telecom Argentina (TEO) is currently trading at around $18.68 at the time of writing, there appears to be a very good margin of safety involved here based on an extremely conservative appraisal.

At the time of writing I would assign a value of $43.35 per share.

Regards.

How did you factor in the macro environment in your price target? Their peso has gotten killed this year so I agree it could be a great opportunity but what are the chances a continued negative economy hurts the company?

Some of the above issues are indeed undervalued, but can you determine their future performance?

With Spark Networks for example you have a market leader in the online dating space for Mormons, Jews etc.

This is a valuable asset, people go where there is a better chance of finding a date. There's no other vendor like this for these groupings, or no alternative service where they can get this exposure to their ideological counterparts.

Jdate is a brand associated with resultant marriage, brands are important mixed with a positive experience, if you can call marriage that.

Obviously these groups are wealthy and steadily growing, spark also has other growing assets eg. Christian mingle, and management is, if I and others get our wish, will be reorganised and reinvigorated soon.

For these reasons, plus others incliding valuation, I believe Spark offers a good risk reward profile at prices trading under 4.6

Board thankfully reshuffled with a talented set of new strategists in place, this should continue to move considerably beyond the 25% or so achieved to date.