Good and bad spread betting companies

That's an interesting insight into a situation that I am not experienced enough to know a lot about. My, only, argument for SB trading is that I have had no problems with mine.

Split

Agree with you on all the above. I use IG & CS and had no problems with either (except one IT glitchette which could have happened with any broker etc).

But I'm just a small-time player who makes a steady profit, doesn't scalp (isn't that for big boys with fast connections,loads of skill, lightning reactions coupled to a superfast connection, aged under 25 and not yet burnt-out?) though sometimes keeps a trade for minutes rather than hours or days. How else could I short with such simplicity & ease? And the costs are totally transparent - what you see is what you pay, or am i missing something here? The tax free issue is just a bonus.

And the costs are totally transparent - what you see is what you pay, or am i missing something here? The tax free issue is just a bonus.

That's what I tend to think too. I mean, nobody likes the spread, because it means you have to make a decent call just in order to stay even the minute you place the trade, but once it goes into profit, it's all profit, and where's the cost to you? I wouldn't even mind paying a small amount of tax on it, except for the paperwork. The S/B company takes that burden off me, and part of their reward, I guess, is the spread. Our job is to learn to make good calls in the first place. I think S/B accounts are pretty good places to learn to trade, provided every beginner has a friend (real or imaginary, or perhaps online) whispering into his ear every five minutes "it's not as easy as you think, you twerp; think that one out again.....".

Agree with you on all the above. I use IG & CS and had no problems with either (except one IT glitchette which could have happened with any broker etc).

But I'm just a small-time player who makes a steady profit, doesn't scalp (isn't that for big boys with fast connections,loads of skill, lightning reactions coupled to a superfast connection, aged under 25 and not yet burnt-out?) though sometimes keeps a trade for minutes rather than hours or days. How else could I short with such simplicity & ease? And the costs are totally transparent - what you see is what you pay, or am i missing something here? The tax free issue is just a bonus.

Hey! Talking about ages. I'm 77 today. :) I'm not burnt out, either. Mrs Split says she can't afford me to be.

But you are right, I find everything fine. Even the filling time, although, occasionally, they say "Price has moved on in past 3 seconds---try again", that rarely happens. Most of the time the fills are quick.

Split

Hey! Talking about ages. I'm 77 today. :) I'm not burnt out, either. Mrs Split says she can't afford me to be.

Split

Happy Bithday Split ! :):):)

You're only as old as your mind (i've known 20-somethings aged well over a 100)

Cake's gone. THe gannets, aged 7 and 9, have finished it off. All that is left, over my computer , are two 7 shaped candles, as a keepsake. :D

Hello all
Im a bit of a noob to trading so ive just been going from one trading firm to another picking up the free money having a little play and then moving on. Anyway I'm running out of firms that I can swindle out of money so i guess I'm going to have to start learning how to trade.
So which companies are worth sticking with and which ones should I sack off??? Im asking this cos ive heard some trading companies manipulate the prices and some dont.

Thanks alot fleet

Hi Fleetwood,

Probably an unusual observation but if you have going from one trading firm to another, you are probably the best to ask regarding plusses and minusses of each company.

Cheers

Phil

Hi Fleetwood,

Probably an unusual observation but if you have going from one trading firm to another, you are probably the best to ask regarding plusses and minusses of each company.

Cheers

Phil

Good point phil, but I only used them for a couple of trades so dont really know what there like.