GOLD & SILVER - next move?

ducati998...just like any other asset is a matter of timing..iwho was buying in 1980 at 800 +..I'm pretty sure it was not the "smart" money...more like "jo public" who go in feet first whenver the headlines are gighlighting certain mkts...
I agree if I had bought at 840 I would not be so happy...
The fundamental difference seems to be that you are a gold bear..and (at the moment) I am a gold bull...but that's what makes a market!

Atilla..
as above I am pretty bullish on gold for the long term...have been since 440...so we are in agreement....however it has been a roller coaster ride !!
Let's hope it may long continue..as long as there are more disbelievers then the rally will continue...beware the front page headlines..usually a good indicator to lighten up on positions!

Don't know much about Gold but remember a hedge fund mananger getting pretty animated (passionately bullish) on Cnbc a few years ago .... when it was $300! He said Newmont Mining would quadruple which it did......... amazing!

I have noticed Gold often turns in the first few days of the month .... lets see...

cat

ducati998...just like any other asset is a matter of timing..iwho was buying in 1980 at 800 +..I'm pretty sure it was not the "smart" money...more like "jo public" who go in feet first whenver the headlines are gighlighting certain mkts...
I agree if I had bought at 840 I would not be so happy...
The fundamental difference seems to be that you are a gold bear..and (at the moment) I am a gold bull...but that's what makes a market!

Well we could say *timing* but I prefer to say *valuation*.
Timing is so sentiment based, and forces you to run with the herd.
Valuation however is so contrarian, it allows you to avoid the herd.

So, are the *smart money crowd* market timers, or market valuers?

Atilla

You like the signature then.

jog on
d998

Hook Shot said:
Don't know much about Gold but remember a hedge fund mananger getting pretty animated (passionately bullish) on Cnbc a few years ago .... when it was $300! He said Newmont Mining would quadruple which it did......... amazing!

possibly philip manduca...

ducati998 said:
cat

Well we could say *timing* but I prefer to say *valuation*.
Timing is so sentiment based, and forces you to run with the herd.
Valuation however is so contrarian, it allows you to avoid the herd.

So, are the *smart money crowd* market timers, or market valuers?

Atilla

You like the signature then.

jog on
d998

Yes interesting but like the price of gold it is a paradox.

No body likes to be deceived. The deceiver is deceiving him self to think otherwise.

Hook Shot said:

Very timely warning.

I'm raising my stop loss from 635 to 640 before I turn bearish on gold. Still very much bullish. Some profit taking expected. I'm expecting some bounce given $ falling.

US announced another $27bn (Iraq) and $10bn (Afghanistan). This is if all goes well. I'd guestimate the beating of war drums towards end of Feb will raise tempo of $ flight + Gold rush again.

Really enjoyed that Clive Maund's bullish write up and TA to confirm my market sentiments.

Also on the BBC site there are all allegations about Iranian interference in Iraq without any proof. One of the analysts commented on US soldiers arresting Iranian diplomats that it's only a matter of time before an Iranian government official shoots out at an American soldier for their to be a full escallation.

Oil is confirming geo risks and economic activity. I'm surprised at everyone telling us we have glut of oil. Thought $50-$60 would be the new range. Didn't participate but next time it touches $50 regions will be sure to dive in.

My fear is there is so much liquidity, potential threats and climate change in the global economy I'm struggling to see when where it's all going to come tumbling down... :rolleyes: I am really genuinely worried. :(

Beginner's Luck

Atilla
Since getting bitten by the Bug ........... I've tried to see if there is any rhyme or reason to it's price movements.... Perhaps this call shows I'm slowly making a bit of progress....

I AM A GOLD LOVER.... ever since $278 ........ Jan 1, 2002 so strategically we're on the same page... but as a member of, what some might term, the 95% - it's quite a buzz to try and see how the big players operate and "piggy-back" on their activities...

A bit of nostalgia for ya :D

http://www.gold-eagle.com/gold_digest_00/droke031300.html

Weird.... I never bothered with economic history until I started trading......no need I s'pose

Hook Shot said:
Atilla
Since getting bitten by the Bug ........... I've tried to see if there is any rhyme or reason to it's price movements.... Perhaps this call shows I'm slowly making a bit of progress....

I AM A GOLD LOVER.... ever since $278 ........ Jan 1, 2002 so strategically we're on the same page... but as a member of, what some might term, the 95% - it's quite a buzz to try and see how the big players operate and "piggy-back" on their activities...

A bit of nostalgia for ya :D

http://www.gold-eagle.com/gold_digest_00/droke031300.html

Weird.... I never bothered with economic history until I started trading......no need I s'pose

Interesting and history does repeat it self. I thought I was reading a current article there.

Just listened to George Geore or somebody by that name on Bloomberg. Said this is an opportunity to get back in to gold. They are talking about $800. That's what I call running away with ones self. I'd like it to test and hold 710-700 first.

I think Gold has got 4 BIG factors going for it.

1. Up and coming confrontation with US & Iran
2. Weakening $ and movement from $ to Euro & Gold
3. Relatively favourable global economic growth
4. The US defecits.

Finally, the distrust US has built up I doubt as to whether countries will continue to hold $s. Yuan is strengthening and expected to strengthen more. Perfect economic sense to buy the Yuan really. Hence the switch. As $ falls further gold will rise further.

Win Win Win situation on gold. Not to mention it's finite in supply unlike the paper currencies.

One of my friends emailed me this article... There is a gold price prediction on this article which has been quoted by some others on this thread. Could this be the real catracho?

Last edited:
Atilla - interesting "preview" article.... would be nice to have some kind of timeframe to work with .... some say by April 07. Would help me to design my War-Plan ..............increase position sizes, more use of program trades etc...

Cheers
HS

Hook Shot said:
Atilla - interesting "preview" article.... would be nice to have some kind of timeframe to work with .... some say by April 07. Would help me to design my War-Plan ..............increase position sizes, more use of program trades etc...

Cheers
HS

Just watching CCTV9 - The Chineese are discussing the US war plans. Really fascinating.

They are saying,

1. The decision for war is believed to have been made in 2004. US planning for some time.
2. The decision to attack is hardest of all. Hence, US is looking for trouble trying to provoke Iran
3. The view is Congress and the International community will not allow war between Iran and US as the risks are too high.
4. Iran is a much better organised army and virtually a regional power. Will put up a big fight.
5. US stands to loose a lot of influence in the ME even if it wins.
6. No conclusion on end of war if it starts.

I have many possible theories of my own. I wouldn't even rule out a first strike on Syria.

Apparently Bush is planning to ask for more money from Congress

Also form the same website some say the war has already begun. Everyone should really read this article...

I think we are approaching melt down. Chineese stock indexes fell quite sharply last week. There are people in the know and they know the consequences.

As for time I always thought March even going back to last November / December time. Still bearish on the whole.

As I have written many times before this is also economic warfare. I think the fall of the $ is virtually designed as part of the strategy.

My view is a little like death super powers give one last shudder before giving up the ghost. The fact that Americans are now using military might instead of economic superiority is a sign of the end.

Some cranky senators are even directly demanding that the US challenge China. Dumb ass nit twits. This war will make Russia very powerful. Bit like UK and Germany fighting 1st and 2nd world war over colonies and resources only to both lose economically and US to rise. History certainly does repeat it self.

Watching Euro, Oil and Gold as indicators to upcoming war.

Last edited:
Atilla - March was the start of the last one so seems plausible.
Re your Chinese stocks comment ........ you'd also expect smart people in West to start selling down stockmarkets in advance of war .... perhaps as early as March........ watching a waiting!

On gold - surprised we stopped short of sppt in April contract on Friday...... let's see what this late day bounce can do..

i agree somewhat over chinesse and india stock indexes,...it was quite overheated,...the headlines in economist last edition,...but us to go war with china,...lol...this is a little bit too....crazy,....ok. its funny,....even war with iran is nothing but nonsense ,... 3 women might rule the world in near future,...Hillary, French if elected & german, blair will have to give the power to gordon, if i am right,....so i dont know where do all this stories come from....do u guys watch to many movies...its really nice to get me to smile since i got sick yesterday,...keep up the good work...LOL

de123 said:
i agree somewhat over chinesse and india stock indexes,...it was quite overheated,...the headlines in economist last edition,...but us to go war with china,...lol...this is a little bit too....crazy,....ok. its funny,....even war with iran is nothing but nonsense ,... 3 women might rule the world in near future,...Hillary, French if elected & german, blair will have to give the power to gordon, if i am right,....so i dont know where do all this stories come from....do u guys watch to many movies...its really nice to get me to smile since i got sick yesterday,...keep up the good work...LOL

Get Well Soon... :D
Yep, I think Sarko would have something to say about Her Royal Highness...
Military confrontation with Iran is not so far fetched to me.... but I could be wrong ...
In fact, like many ,I hope it never happens.

de123 said:

Proxy war.

Russia and China will back Iran. No doubt about it.

What do you think about Iran supplying 1/3 of China's oil?

Do you think China and Russia going to allow their energy sources and markets to be cut out whilst USA sits on the only last remaining big oil reserves with an occupying force?

China is currently transferring technology to Iran to build ballistic missiles to shoot down US satellites in the event of war.

China is stopping North Korea from selling it's nuclear technology to the highest bidder (terrorists). Do you think they will give two hoots if their oil supplies are intentionally cut off by a US act of war.

US also currently planning on using PJAK kurdish group to launch offensive in Iran. Plus sorrounding it's rear in Afghanistan. PJAK have been trained by the Israelis in the last year or so.

Apparently the feeling in Afghanistan is that the UK troops are soft and don't have the stomach for a fight in the south. We'll see how the Americans perform listening to rock music blazing in with all guns firing shooting innocent civilians creating more terrorists.

Do you really feel the situation will be contained. :cry:

Wake up and smell the coffee... :!:

Nice bit of support now building on 640-650. Only a matter of time before we surge to 670+.

i didnt mean to hurt ur feelings,...but the fact is that the usa can not afford another war, or they will loose presidential elections (they are gona loose it any way, so maybe they could go to war if the public opinion goes to much in favour of democrats)...if the war not to be won...if they opened several fronts Iran, China, NK ...i dont know who will win....the time is not on their side,...so...thats why nonsense...
by the way since u mentioned coffee,...it sure looks nice to buy...

gold may go to 700 till may...because dollar may fall...they are already in war....

SILVER - not many people take this grey metal seriously ........ but if the conditions truly favour accumulation of Gold ( and an extension of the currentl bull market) then spare a thought for SILVER.

It doesn't have the same vociferous fan club that Gold has but if the bull market in precious continues then Silver should "out perform" it's more expensive cousin.

I'm no expert but I remember in late summer 05 with Silver under $8 (around $7.80) I reckoned it could go to $10.- over 25% move at the time ... In Autumn 05 Gold broke out at $440-450 and the rest is history.

At Silver $10 ... I thought why not $15 (based on www.mrci.com/pdf/si.pdf) which said above $10 ... then $15 might be next hurdle............ as flippant as it sounded at the time that was +50%!

We got to $15 early in first half of 2006..... I think.......... almost double the price of summer 05!!!!

Silver is the high beta play .............. sort of the Naz to Gold's S&p500....

I believe next Silver milestone is $20 ..... for all the reasons you will see all over the Net (and also T2W)
Again this represents almost +50% from current prices........

Bottom Line
I believe Silver is gonna be Big ... if gold continues to fly...

Coins, Cutlery, Jewelery and general silverware will benefit.......... it may become like the art market ............... "SILLY"! Regardless I think Silver stuff is worth considering as an investment... Smarties are already onto it quietly accumulating............. but remember the ordinary Jo(e) doesn't know yet and when they find out he/she will be all over it ...... and prices will go northwards.

I have to be honest....... I have blocks of silver bought at much lower prices - courtesy of talking heads on Bloomberg and CNBC many years ago....Thank Goodness !

But if you believe the macro story of worthless dollars increasingly printed to order.... to keep the Titanic afloat then precious and Silver still has a place in the portfolio.... Moreover, as the Hunt Brothers knew way back when Silver is a small market and it wouldn't take much for someone to attempt to corner the market and drive prices into the stratosphere............

It may not happen but it is a clear and ever present "danger" ! On the basis of "if it can happen then it probably will" ..... Don't rule out an attempt to corner the silver market this time around.

Silver stocks I here some of you cry.... aren't these a leveraged play on the grey metal ?

Well yes.... but the LatAm leaders who control a fair bit of silver seem keen to Nationalise mining/resource companies.... this may hurt the overseas companies earnings and therefore share prices..........but may elevate the resource prices through reduction in production/limited suppy .......... perhaps!

Good for Silver........ but perhaps less good for the stocks!

Whilst Gold is on the "A" list ................ Silver delivers.....
Still working at my poetry/rhyming slang... Sorry !

Hook Shot said:
SILVER - not many people take this grey metal seriously ........
I've found that on a short-term basis, silver tends to lead gold so always worth keeping an eye on even if you only trade the sexier one.