GOLD & SILVER - next move?

If yesterday's fall was designed to shake out some of the bulls, then that included me too. Closed gold and silver longs and will want to see either better COT data or some currency/oil support before stepping back in.

With you JOC. After sending the post yesterday as gold turned over I exited the longs. Still hanging in there with silver. I think silver will outperform gold. Got to definitely keep on top of the cot data.
Feb been choppy month in commods and I am only just keeping my head above water. Jan was much better fun.

TWI said:
With you JOC. After sending the post yesterday as gold turned over I exited the longs. Still hanging in there with silver. I think silver will outperform gold. Got to definitely keep on top of the cot data.
Feb been choppy month in commods and I am only just keeping my head above water. Jan was much better fun.

I had stops at 655 but closed my position around 658 after 660 was breached. I thought it 650 might be next.

Looking at my long term weekly charts I think 650-52 will be the next support followed by 640.

640 will be major support as it has been touched 4 times in the last year or so. I don't see gold falling much below 640.

If it does I may short it to 625 regions.

On the daily charts it's possible gold will bounce off the 20d MA so we'll wait and see. Looking for support and brakeouts next.

Attachments

• Gold-06-02-21.gif
    Gold-06-02-21.gif
    23.6 KB · Views: 168
I think buying when it looks most horrible will be the best bet

TWI said:
I think buying when it looks most horrible will be the best bet

Just got back to my screen and W.T.F. was that?

Some shake out or what? Top it off missed the brakeout...

I'm not going in now. I think hope there will be some pull-back...

Pooh bear...

So who's playing silly buggers in CBoT Gold this afternoon? Anyone owning up to the $30 spike around 5:45?

Is is just me or are there a lot of big fat-finger-esque spikes in commods this year?

I think the general commodity buy progam from the macros got going today.
As for the cbot spike...better to stick to comex.

TWI said:
Like the 60min double bottom this morning!!!
Nice one TWI. Sadly I thought I was being clever in having got out yesterday given the weak start before the yanks woke up. Doing a good impression of the Cutty Sark at the moment (loaded to the gunnels with grains) so not been a bad day, but keep looking at GC and shaking my head... Although probably not as much as Mr $700 fat-finger.

TWI said:
I think the general commodity buy progam from the macros got going today.
As for the cbot spike...better to stick to comex.

Nice info...

Looks like they're busting the more outrageous fills.

Yeah, I fortunately still had a belly full of silver but had to buy back the gold on the way up. It surprised me how strong this was today. Had a bad day yesterday but today was really quite awesome, best day of year to date and this mornign I was saying how tough Feb had been..now it looks better than Jan.
This is the thing. You can never know. Never, ever know. It is just a numbers game.

TWI said:
Had a bad day yesterday but today was really quite awesome, best day of year to date and this mornign I was saying how tough Feb had been..now it looks better than Jan.
This is the thing. You can never know. Never, ever know. It is just a numbers game.

On the flip side of that coin, bunds cost me a packet today turning my Feb into a worse month than Jan (which was quite good) :rolleyes:

Be really interested to know what started the sell off last week. I know Japan did a lot of selling of gold but for what reason? Dastardly shake out. Deliberate market manipulation I'd say without knowing the facts. I've had a good run from 608 but still feel I missed out big time on the $15 rise as if I lost. There's greed for you. One for the psychologists.

On my previous thread #90 I mentioned the UN IAEA report on the 21st Feb would significant day but didn't realise what a day.

Additional pieces of geopolitical news which wasn't much in Western media was that Iran had
a terrorist bus bomb explosion and two helicopters brought down - reasons unknown. Also some Sunni tribes apparently led some attacks down South of the country. There are also the buildup of Kurdish JPAK opposition forces up North East of the country. Not to mention the border with Afganistan and build up of troops there.

Dick Cheyney is doing the circuit trying to muster support around Asia.

US Pilots carrying out low level flying / training exercises.

Talk about missile shields for UK.

Talk about missiles for Eastern Europe with the Russians asking why they are not based around Turkey and Iraq if Iran is the enemy and not Russia.

Israel has asked permission from the US to attack Iran. They would like air space permission to fly across Iraq. They have also requested use of Iraqi Airfields.

Turkey's chief of staff visited the US saying they are unhappy about terrorists in Northern Iraq and they also would like permission from the US to go in to Northern Iraq.

The Americans would like a referendum in Kirkuk. They are disarming the Arabs arming the Kurds to the hilt. Begs the question why have a referendum in Kirkuk and not anywhere else in the country. Another impending factional fighting to add to the fuel as killings between Sunni's and Shias not sufficient. Probably because Kirkuk has one BIG oil field which has Uncle Sam's name on it.

They will then tell us a big sob story as to how it's not the Iraqis but external countries stirring up divisions in Iraq and we will believe them because the US Administration stands for liberty justice and freedom and is indeed a civilised democracy. :LOL:

I still hold the view geopolitical tensions one of the biggest reasons for speculative buying of gold for some time.

Coming to the economics, Japan is really supporting the US $ at the moment but for how long. Oil is up, so Feds and BoE inflation going down forecast due to falling energy prices out the window. Another bad set of stats from the US, a rise in interest rates by the ECB coupled with the UK and the $ and Yen really will sink lower further adding to inflationary pressures. China is trying to reign in excessive growth too. Hence the fall in $ will add to rise of gold.

Even if geopolitical tensions die down, the economic growth, inflation and interest rate factors make gold are safe bet for the time being.

I have mentioned many times about the $ and the Fed not really acting on inflation. The Fed as well as the BoE have manipulated the way the indexes are measured. What's the point of having a basket of goods for benchmarking/indexing if you keep changing your basket of goods. What is the point of taking energy out of this basket if it is a significant expense and in particular it is precisely energy prices that is going up? It is unbelievable.

There was much talk about Greenspand and tax cuts. I suspect it's now a case of Republicans elections and not wanting the interest rates hiked to spur on the economy. Who can blame the politicians... As Former US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright says the war in Iraq will go down in history as the worst disaster in US foreign policy coupled with a retarded economy. With elections due that is what I really call a double whammy.

In the short term I can't see gold falling below 660-655 where it picked up from the other day and as before given all this mess I feel gold can still go higher unless the above scenarios change for the better. I'll be looking to trading gold again but using hourly charts to pick out shorts and longs and hoping to stick with a long position raising my stop limits when the opportune moments rears it's head.

I think next week in particular Tuesday with US home sale stats is likely to be significant to the gold price.

Last edited:
Would not feel so bad about missing out on $15. I know a lot of fund boyz who took their prof on the decline and watched it climb all the way back up without pulling the trigger until Friday which is what pushed it onward. Quite surprised how many people were shaken out in that sell off.
Thanks for your analysis. I took some risk off in Gold friday and also cut silver fairly substantially. Not sure how much further we go before we see another correction but will not be flat and will look to add on any dips. There is nothing political or financial to suggest that the gold run is coming to an end before it is well into the 700. GS were sending mails last week suggesting 735 target. Spec still very long but ETF inflows continue to be substantial and that is very sticky money.

Over the weekend Gold had two timelines.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sat 24th Feb was 288d from highs last May.
Sun 25th was 144d since Oct lows

Probably means less than nothing but since we're at highs and approaching that weird month end/month start period ............ well ...who knows ?

Incidentally the two upwaves since the october lows are kindov "similar" in length....

Hook Shot said:
Over the weekend Gold had two timelines.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sat 24th Feb was 288d from highs last May.
Sun 25th was 144d since Oct lows

Probably means less than nothing but since we're at highs and approaching that weird month end/month start period ............ well ...who knows ?

Incidentally the two upwaves since the october lows are kindov "similar" in length....

Interesting day indeed.

Iran talking to SAfrica about dismantling their nuclear facilities. Hopefuly they are thinking sense no point in death of 000s of people for death destruction nuclear facility.

Apparently two top generals died in one of their helicopter crashes up north west in clashes with the Kurds.

BBC also reporting political resistance to and questioning of leadership.
In such a scenario gold will fall considerably. Watch out for the big news.

Iraq government have reached decision on distribution of oil earnings based on popullation sizes. Hence, oil may fall on stable increased supply and peace dividend.

Markets about to go into meltdown.

It all depends on the news. Not sure my self. Watching and waiting. Very critical day.

Atilla said:
Interesting day indeed.

Iran talking to SAfrica about dismantling their nuclear facilities. Hopefuly they are thinking sense no point in death of 000s of people for death destruction nuclear facility.

Apparently two top generals died in one of their helicopter crashes up north west in clashes with the Kurds.

BBC also reporting political resistance to and questioning of leadership.
In such a scenario gold will fall considerably. Watch out for the big news.

Iraq government have reached decision on distribution of oil earnings based on popullation sizes. Hence, oil may fall on stable increased supply and peace dividend.

Markets about to go into meltdown.

It all depends on the news. Not sure my self. Watching and waiting. Very critical day.

I got gold falling to 666 regions but don't have the bottle to go short or long at the mo. Daily candle sticks shows 669 as a good spot for support.

Atilla said:
I got gold falling to 666 regions but don't have the bottle to go short or long at the mo. Daily candle sticks shows 669 as a good spot for support.

If housing sales slow down, pressure is off interest rates, $ falls the economy slows down and gold should fall further.

btw given durable goods sale is down I'm expecting housing sales to come out low too. I'm guessing gold will fall further...

Better be on the bid on the dip.
Out of gold, but will stick with silver and oil for a while longer.
FX still favours bulls.
My least favoured position today has been S&P, looking forward to PPT waking up.
Shanghai could on the other hand be the catalyst for meltdown, but doubt it.

Actually somebody just pointed out :
Brings a whole new definition to "Chinese take away"