General data feed (quality) question

rolf17

Hi all,

I've taken some time to find a decent broker for

stocks
options
futures

which are the things I will trade and I believe my pick will be IB.

Now I have problems of another kind. Since high quality market information, order book depth and so on are obviously highly desirable, I wonder if I'd be stuck with IB as my only data provider when it comes to their TWS.

So my question is actually twofold:

1. Can I feed market info from another provider into TSW while having IB as my broker?

2. Keeping in mind my focus on stocks (euro/us/uk), options (us) and futures (euro/us), can you suggest a better data provider in terms of quality than IB?

I'd be thankful for any advice!

Hi all,

I've taken some time to find a decent broker for

stocks
options
futures

which are the things I will trade and I believe my pick will be IB.

Now I have problems of another kind. Since high quality market information, order book depth and so on are obviously highly desirable, I wonder if I'd be stuck with IB as my only data provider when it comes to their TWS.

So my question is actually twofold:

1. Can I feed market info from another provider into TSW while having IB as my broker?

2. Keeping in mind my focus on stocks (euro/us/uk), options (us) and futures (euro/us), can you suggest a better data provider in terms of quality than IB?

I'd be thankful for any advice!

1. you can do it the other way around, feed IB data into say, ninjatrader, but not the other way...data into TWS I believe
2. There are quite a few that could be better, especially with regard UK stocks
Esignal, IQ feed, CQG are all better than IB data which I've had issues with in the past

I see, thanks, malaguti. This is what I understood, too. IB is not the first pick that should come into mind for quality realtime data.

But there'd be nothing wrong with IB as a broker for said focus of asset classes, right?

But if I wouldn't use IB's feeds AND I wouldn't use TSW, what would be the point in having IB as my brokerage? Thing is, IB isn't actually cheap when it comes to euro stocks anyway plus IB doesn't discharge tax automatically as german brokers do for german clients, so in addition I would also have to make a seperate tax filing.

What I am looking for is a quality broker + a good trading software + quality data feed.

Any advice?

I see, thanks, malaguti. This is what I understood, too. IB is not the first pick that should come into mind for quality realtime data.

But there'd be nothing wrong with IB as a broker for said focus of asset classes, right?

But if I wouldn't use IB's feeds AND I wouldn't use TSW, what would be the point in having IB as my brokerage? Thing is, IB isn't actually cheap when it comes to euro stocks anyway plus IB doesn't discharge tax automatically as german brokers do for german clients, so in addition I would also have to make a seperate tax filing.

What I am looking for is a quality broker + a good trading software + quality data feed.

Any advice?

I've used them in the past, and really disliked them. the charting package is useless, the data is suspect although cheap (for US) and the service is p1ss-poor
why anyone would use them i can only think is down to the cost of US data. so if that was your asset class, go ahead
or of course you could just concentrate on a smaller pool.
whats your timeframe? daily or intraday or longer such as weekly
have you considered spreadbetting stocks and futures? much cheaper than IB even for US stocks. IG index/ETX capital are good execution brokers for spreadbetting with a wide choice. if you wanted cheap share brokers there are a few that would satisfy you there too.
quite a few choices you have to be honest