GBP/USD

GBP/USD broke below 1.2914 and it is clearly very bearish for the moment. I think that next target will be the previous low at 1.2788.

Not only did GBP/USD reach 1.2788 but it broke below that level. I think next target is 1.2700.

GBP/USD formed a new historic low at 1.2685 and rebounded from it, also forming a four-hour hammer and an inverted hammer bar above that level. I think next target is 1.2800 - 1.2820 again.

Last edited:
It appears that nothing can stop the GBP/USD drop, yesterday's retracement was only temporary. The pair broke below 1.2685 and I think next target will be 1.2600.

I dont know what you mean by historic low but cable have seen levels lower than that...

CNBC announced that the cause of the market drop is due to "market abuse by individuals caused by lack of liquidity by banks".

Cable is expensive here long term outlook bearish ...

Cable is expensive here long term outlook bearish ...
Bearish? The sell since the vote has been nothing more than speculative. The UK is in a better fundamental position than many g8 countries and eu only accounts for about 1 percent of gdp in terms of trade. Fundamentally the price it's at doesn't correlate to the economy.

Fundamentally, the UK BoP current account has always been negative. Historically, this has been topped up by service industries and hot capital flows.

Finance industry is coming under pressure with companies planning to move out of London. This in turn will reduce the service sectors contribution to BoP, thus further aggravating the deficit.

Sadly, foreign investors will sell UK assets as falling pound will mean they'll take a currency hit. With cost of imports rising along with an expected and policy based actions to raise wages, suddenly UK doesn't look like a good place to do business.

With government increasing fiscal stimulus on infrastructure projects by increasing borrowing will only increase supply of pounds.

I'm afraid continued falls in pound is the only way to go to correct the current account.

Add a fraction more on those falls to factor in uncertainty re:Brexit and if we stop at 1.20 we are doing well imo.

bop_2011_1.gif

the reason: the big banks selling it by yards(1bl) while you sleeping,don't forget they are the liquidity providers too, so they know their client's position. so easy for them to make money.

here is some of them:

https://postimg.org/image/t8q6ig2xd/

Hope that under individuals they meant "algo traders which sold huge amounts of pound breaking key supports where consequent freefall is obvious":D

I suspect what's happening with the pound is that after all the lime light and hard talking by UK Gov, turning down bank requests for an interval period or some kind of softening the message went out to short sterling to feel the water on level of support. Banks are international and traders do chat.

Untimely coincidence perhaps by the French president remarks over-night the decision to sell sterling met with no resistance. So lots of sell orders nothing on the buy side and algo's kick in, and hey presto!!!

1.28 - 1.32 band feels so far away right now and I would suspect 1.28 will become very strong resistance to any rises.

Unless UK Gov softens stance to finance sector, further lows will be probed.

fwiw - I quiet fancy 1.20-1.25 range next. Hope I'm wrong... :whistling

the market was caught with its pants down on lower volumes and the HFT's took charge for a while ........s*it happens

Although the pair has quickly rebounded back to around 1.243 level but after the Pound collapse open the possibility to the downside of 1.2000 handle.

Although the pair has quickly rebounded back to around 1.243 level but after the Pound collapse open the possibility to the downside of 1.2000 handle.

I agree. We might see some retracement after such a massive drop, but for the moment the pair remains very bearish.

The British pound continued to depreciate against the dollar for a third day on Monday. The pair slid 35 pips to 1.2359, with a decline of over 5% for the past eight sessions. Trading took place in the final values 1.2443 and 1.2344. Technically the bears remain in the leading position, but recovery of the RSI and inability to breakthrough from current levels may lead to start of an upward movement.

Key levels to watch for:
Support: 1.1105; 1.1045; 1.0955;
Resistance: 1.1280; 1.1355.