FUTURES platforms and brokers

clarksnack

I'm new to futures. Still in the learning and papertrading phase. Am looking very closely at platforms/charting pkgs/brokers as I edge closer and closer to actually giving a whirly at live trades.

I've been using TOS, and really think it's powerful, but I find few mentors out there that use TOS for futures. Their $7 round trip fee is higher than a lot. There are no discounts for min amount holdings (roughtly $12K needed to trade 2 contracts of the ES).

I've had APEX recommended to me and I downloaded their trial...still trying to figure it out. Not as many resources available for learning the platform as TOS. But I do plan to dig more deeply in and try and get the gist of the platform.

All that said...

1. What broker do you use...comments on fees and min account holdings per contract?
2. What charting software and/or platform do you use? Comment on ease of learning and tools available to assist in in learning the platform?
3. If you had to start over and be a newbie today...what broker/platform would you use in hind sight?

Thanks for any mentoring and advise you can give.

Hi Clarksnack,

I think US$7 is a lot of money for 1 contract, thinking percentage-wise!

My package:

1. Broker=IB, US$4 / rountrip per future, good as broker, less for charting.
2. Platform: currently switching from QT to SC, as QT is probaly pulling the plugs at some stage soon. Impressed with functionalities of both, but not for traders with less patience. Newbies could get easily lost in SC. But maybe that's matter of time you need getting to know different platforms.

Happy trials!

Last edited:
I'm new to futures. Still in the learning and papertrading phase. Am looking very closely at platforms/charting pkgs/brokers as I edge closer and closer to actually giving a whirly at live trades.

I've been using TOS, and really think it's powerful, but I find few mentors out there that use TOS for futures. Their $7 round trip fee is higher than a lot. There are no discounts for min amount holdings (roughtly $12K needed to trade 2 contracts of the ES).

7 bucks? The robbing ba$tards.

IB is a good broker (just my opinion). The Duder is right, but you won't get $4 unless you are doing a bit of size, they start at over $4.50.

If you are just starting out, have a look at an open e-cry broker like Lions. $4.80, but you get your charting, data and so on all in.

I currently use Mirus futures who I am very happy with, very quick response times, competitive rates and a reliable data feed. They bundle in NinjaTrader which I use for executions although end of day I get from DTN Market Access through Market Delta.

Tom
Fade 'n' Scales