ftse (and other) 20ema crossover and test

when i was doing ftse future on liffe interactive brokers charge me £2.06 per round trip and the contract with worth £10 per point with one contract. slippage on stops was about 50% of the time i reckon for 1/2 a point.

not sure on volume but i never struggled for a fill.

it worked really well but i moved to spreadbet from the tax and actually i think it's done me more harm as the spread even at 1 point makes it harder the way i'm trading and also there are too many other things to trade that often distract me.

when i was with ib i only traded z, ym or es for about a year.

i'm going away at the end of the week so have 5 sessions and when i come back am going to look to incrementally increase my size to get it to something nearer what i want.

my aim is 10 points per day average and i reckon that isn't pie in the sky so if i can keep my head at at size i will be ok. that is a big if though!

when i was doing ftse future on liffe interactive brokers charge me £2.06 per round trip and the contract with worth £10 per point with one contract. slippage on stops was about 50% of the time i reckon for 1/2 a point.

not sure on volume but i never struggled for a fill.

it worked really well but i moved to spreadbet from the tax and actually i think it's done me more harm as the spread even at 1 point makes it harder the way i'm trading and also there are too many other things to trade that often distract me.

when i was with ib i only traded z, ym or es for about a year.

i'm going away at the end of the week so have 5 sessions and when i come back am going to look to incrementally increase my size to get it to something nearer what i want.

my aim is 10 points per day average and i reckon that isn't pie in the sky so if i can keep my head at at size i will be ok. that is a big if though!

You wont see slippage on stops/limits on the bund or eurostoxx trading direct access, not unless youre trading a larger number of contracts. On 5 to 10 contracts I get zero slippage on my limits or stops. I think the low volume on the FTSE is what the problem is. As for spreadbetting that is another matter, steer well clear of it.

You mention the YM and ES, I think YM volume is about 1/10th of the volume of the ES. I used to see slippage on the YM but when I switched over to the ES there was virtually none. I'm referring to direct market access, not spreadbetting of course. My point is that you should look for the contracts with the biggest volume, thats where the action is.

Regarding the Eurex products commissions should be under 2 euros unless you are paying a premium for access to a better platform.

sounds good, i'll look into reopening my interactive account or look at some of the people you use. i know i need to get over to es from ym, for some reason the dow was what i got in to.

i read so much on these boards that baffles me why people want to make it all so complex all the time.

if you've got the right account and approach taking smallish moves say 4-10 points with a similar or ideally tighter stop it isn't that difficult to take a profit. 10 points a day can easily pay you a good wage.

i was at a prop place in london for a short while and now i have my approach and mentality up to speed i'd love that chance again as i'm sure i could do a much better job, but the desk fees are insane for the limited capital you get.

i've put an ad up for people to go co-op on an office in birmingham with me but no replies. i guess i over estimate how many traders there are up this way!

i don't

There was a lengthy discussion on another thread about prop houses/arcades. The general opinion was that the desk fees no longer provide value for money now that retail commissions and margins are so low and trading platforms with data can be had for $50 a month or so. Yes a prop house may offer lower commissions but you would need to be trading very large size before this saving would recover the desk fees. I think the thread was called 'trading arcades have had their day

yes unless you are on a great split and they are letting you trade massive capital i don't see the advantage. it would be nice to be in a 'work' environment but i reckon something like £200 per month to share the costs of an office using your own equipment would be more attractive to me.

have this pin on the 5m bund which would give you a long at 12956, 1m is positive and the 15m i would say is rallying off the 37/50 band but the 1hour is looking overhead looking to cap the upside.

Attachments

• Bund (DEC-10).png
    Bund (DEC-10).png
    25.9 KB · Views: 272
and out. i didn't trade this but it was good for a max of 20 points so to capture 10 should have been doable.

Attachments

• Bund (DEC-10).png
    Bund (DEC-10).png
    26.8 KB · Views: 182