FTSE 10 points per day

diz

Hi All, first post so be gentle!

I'm looking to acheive an average of 10 points per day spread betting the FTSE.
The system is really simple but seems to be working on the demo account. Have I just been lucky, advice/opinions welcome.

I use a 1 hour chart with Para SAR, plus stochasic. When the SAR changes I bid, 20 point stop loss and profit gain. The only time I do not bid, is if the stochasics is obviously nearing a peak or trough.

So far I'm 160points up in three weeks.

That's it, happy trading to all.
Diz

Hi Diz

I can not comment on your trading system cause its not one I am familiar with.

However here are a couple of things you may want to consider.

Discipline is a major part of trading and you may find it harder to be disciplined when playing with real money.How easy will you find it to accept a loss?

Also some systems work in one type of market but not in another for example trending/range bound markets.

Good luck with your system.

Hi Tim3

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate that this type of system only really works when the market is moving in reasonably big swings.

I should memtion that i also use bolinger bands to gauge the size of swing. ie. if the market is in consolidation and not moving much in either direction, i generally don't trade. Or if I do, I reduce the stops/profit.

I did try trading with real money when i first discovered spread betting, and agree that real money changes your emotional state of mind, and makes trading harder. Hence trying to develope a system I'm confident in before trying again. To date I've only lost a few hundred quid, which i can live with, but don't want it to get out of control.

The main reason i lost before was through over trading and chasing losses. All the classic mistakes!!

diz

The system is really simple but seems to be working on the demo account. Have I just been lucky, advice/opinions welcome.

I use a 1 hour chart with Para SAR, plus stochasic. When the SAR changes I bid, 20 point stop loss and profit gain. The only time I do not bid, is if the stochasics is obviously nearing a peak or trough.

Diz

get yourself a futures account and you might stand a chance spreadbet with real money and one way or the other you'll lose money. Try a demo with global futures or someone else that offers no minimum account size and low margins. SB companies are going to rob you with spreads and slippage etc,

pboyles - i take it your not a spread bet fan then?

No I'm not, I've seen some of the tricks they pull on live accounts. With the low account size and margins available from futures brokers there is no reason to even consider spreadbetting. There was a time when you neede ten grand for a futures account but no longer. As for tax issue what you pay in spread will outweigh any tax advantage.

No reason for you to trade the futures. Too much money at stake for the Z-future (FTSE). If your trading discipline and system works, it will also be valid for trading SB. You'll probably find it harder sticking to your strategy when real money is at stake. Risk money management is the key in order to keep staying in the game.

From Global Futures

Contract Symbol Exchange Initial Margin Day Margin
FTSE 100 FTSE LIFFE £4105 £650

Probably not that far off from the likes of IG if your trading £10 a point.

Diz

Are you still sb with this method?

If so, how are you doing?:)

Diz

at the moment in all markets the moves are exaggerated so id give it more time,simple things do work best though