FT.COM Page Header

smiley

Is it just me?

Is it because I'm having a stressfull day?

Am I one of those people who will just complain about anything?

Well NO or at least I doubt that I am, NO and NO!

What on earth am I talking about I hear you yawn?.........

The bl**dy FT page header that has suddenly appeared on every page that I open. OK I know that I can delete it with each new page that I open but I would really prefer not to see the thing.

OR am I really a complaining old git having a stressfull day all by myself after all? :(

OK, I confess - the FT header was my idea.

I actually thought (aside from a commercial perspective), that it might be a good idea, and be an advert that is actually useful, and not 'just an advertisement'.

I use firefox, so the bar doesn't show at all (unlike IE), but I'd be interested in feedback from you all. If lots of you don't like it, then I'll get rid of it - simple as that.

So, comments welcome (constructive ones, preferably - what don't you like about it in particular? does anyone like it, has anyone used it, clicked on it etc)

I agree with Smiley this is a really annoying pain please get rid of it.

Paul

rossored said:
So, comments welcome (constructive ones, preferably - what don't you like about it in particular? does anyone like it, has anyone used it, clicked on it etc)

have clicked on it, and marginally useful.

really irritating thing is, even though I can close the advert, whenever I refresh the page to see latest postings, the advert re-appears all over again.

(glad its not just me )

trendie said:
even though I can close the advert, whenever I refresh the page to see latest postings, the advert re-appears all over again.

Ah. Yes, that would be irritating. Maybe I should use IE more...

So is it the advert itself (i.e. following you down the page), or the way it's built (i.e. re-appears after each refresh)?

rossored said:
Ah. Yes, that would be irritating. Maybe I should use IE more...

So is it the advert itself (i.e. following you down the page), or the way it's built (i.e. re-appears after each refresh)?

It's both of those things. I don't mind seeing adverts, I just don't like them to pester me (I get more than enough of that at home :rolleyes: )

I have to confess,I hate floating adverts following me around, if you could anchor it at the top of the page it would be fine.

roguetrader said:
I have to confess,I hate floating adverts following me around, if you could anchor it at the top of the page it would be fine.

The floating bouncing bit is really annoying

rossored said:
I actually thought (aside from a commercial perspective), that it might be a good idea, and be an advert that is actually useful, and not 'just an advertisement'.

I don't mind it at all, and I've actually used it a couple of times :cheesy:

If this gives you a little more cash in your pocket so that you can further develop other parts of the forum, it's all good.

Also, I think you were right about the fact that it is not just an ad. It is relevant and useful, imho.

Those who don't like it could start using Firefox, like rosso does :cool:

I'm tempted to stop my subscription!

(I don't think that was supposed to be the desired effect, do you?)

If I want FT.com, I type "F" in the address bar and up it pops! On demand! Not inflicted!

Subtle advertising is fine, but those ads you have to close to see what you actually want to see are a real pain... and antagonising!

Signed

Mr Angry :mad:

PS These posts read like those letters on Points of View on TV, mine included! ;)

OK.

In light of everyone's comments, I have just removed the header, although I will talk to the people involved and see if it can be modified to sit at the top, and not follow you down, and not re-open whenever you refresh a page (I didn't know it would do the last bit, in fairness - figured that once it was closed, it stayed closed until you navigated away from the site completely)

If not, then so be it.

OK, the code for this advert has been heavily modified (so I'm told!)

It should now:

NOT follow you down the page as you scroll
Only show once in any 7-day period.

If you find that the banner behaves differently to this, please let me know by replying in this thread, or via PM/email.

Thanks!

Personally, I don't like that type of adverts, the type that follows you all over the place, very irritating. The advert by itself may be interesting, but that particular type of advert is as annoying as pop-ups. The same problem with Yahoo at one time, currently other versions of Yahoo have that problem.