Spread bet, ha!

Avoid trading cash FTSE products that the SBs offer since, as already mentioned, it's just some ficticious instrument with some connection to the FTSE index/future. The connection can be changed at the SB's whim. Putting stop orders on this market is incredibly dumb since the SB can fill you at whatever price they feel like (since they control the pricing - their little product, remember?)

Instead trade the daily FTSE future which is based on the real underlying futures market and therefore can't be manipulated by the SBs.

SB's are a joke full stop. The more I read, the more I can understand why I've had such a problem. Direct access and the real world of trading here I come.

Oops posted this to the wrong thread earlier ... seems more relevant here.

JBat said:
By all accounts, it seems like SB is the unloved nursery where many traders began their market careers.

Spot on Jbat. :)

But possibly some misconceptions follow?

but again, it's a lot easier to run a tight ship with a SB account

Despite price and execution delays, requotes, tight stops not being permitted, trading their market not the underlying, suffering wider spread than the underlying, possible tax issues if only source of income, trading against them not other traders, not knowing immediately if a stop has been executed or not, pitifully inflexible order types, poor platforms, being put on manual or even turned away if consistently profitable?

A panoply of negative edges there for the (day) trader to surmount.

A support level on the underlying holds while the SB chart dips through it. Which chart are you watching, theirs or the market's? How does this affect what may be a crucial decision? What price will you get if you go long or short at this point? SB can be frustratingly indirect. A few ticks here and there matter.

than it is to drum up £50,000+ to trade elsewhere

A futures account can be opened for £2500, sometimes less. Futures can be used to trade indices, major forex pairs and commodities to name but three. The only other barrier to entry here is the minimum position size, e.g $5 per point miniDow; $6.25 per point cable; S&P $50 per full point. A 20 point stop on 1 lot of the miniDow will only cost c£54 if hit.

Granted, a stock day trader needs $25k minimum but can swing trade with much less as long as PDT rule is not broken. A stock trader does not suffer from minimum position size constraints as she can trade 1 share if so desired.

Besides, anyone who wishes to trade for a living would be unwise to do so with less than $25k imho, especially if they are relatively new.

It's the leverage that is the beauty of it too!

Futures offer equivalent leverage.
Stock traders usually enjoy at least 4:1 leverage.

rols said:
They fill a space in the market for the under-capitalised newbie trader dipping their tootsies in the toxic swamp that is the financial markets.

Indeed, SB may be the only way of trading small accounts of < say £2000.
SB may be the only way of trading positions below a certain size.
SB can be useful for trading longer term positions, when the execution etc. issues become insignificant.
SB have tax advantages in some, but not all, circumstances.
SB offer guaranteed stops (for a premium) for the nervous.

If none of the quintet above apply and/or you intend to daytrade for a living I would strongly advise against using SB.

rols said:
Transferring funds in and out is a breeze.

It should be a breeze with a reputable broker too, although perhaps not so much of one that a late night drunken impulse can be immediately brought to debit card fruition. :)

Their customer service compared to IB is like comparing Florence Nightingale to Dr. Mengele.

LOL they must be lovely at CapitalShipman. Trying having a chat with the nice gentleman from deal4free for a refreshingly different perspective.

They are a good incentive for many to continue with their paper rounds.

Indeed, it's more agreeable to whittle away a small account than a large one.

Yes all of this has been repeated with mindnumbing tedium and I apologise for adding nothing to the argument by doing so yet again. But it struck me that a lot of people seem somehow scared of what they perceive to be "proper" trading accounts when there is no need to be. If anything it is the SB account that should elicit the greater degree of - if not terror - caution.

Moving from SB to direct access is one of the most delightful transitions a trader serious about his craft can make.

franleychan :)

New joker in town called WORLDS SPREADS. They do take us British traders for mugs don't they?

SB fun and games

Just for a giggle I thought I'd see how things have (or have not) changed, so I just went went for a small cable trade with capitalspreads.

After the H&S dropped and bounced off the support at 28 I awaited a long... as of old, CS were above the chart price (metatrader) (ie chart 1.8551 = capital spreads 8552/8555), and sometimes a little more. After entry and it moved into about 10 pips profit, I moved my stoploss and as soon a I did, CS spread, all of a sudden became - chart price 1.8551 = capital spreads 8549/8552 and I was out. consequently I needed to add on an additional 3/4 pips to allow for their little games.

It amazes me how this happens and how they can get away with it! I know in forex there is no exchange and 100% exact price but still....

Anyone out there honestly making profits via SB, congratulations, I don't know how you do it!?!?

EDIT: Just watched for 5 minutes after and surprise surprise, it stayed constantly above the chart price the whole time!

Last edited:
wasp said:
SB's are a joke full stop. The more I read, the more I can understand why I've had such a problem. Direct access and the real world of trading here I come.
Best move you could make. :D

chrisw said:
Anyone out there honestly making profits via SB, congratulations, I don't know how you do it!?!?
Oh, I think you do really. :LOL:

It's a 2-step process.

Step 1. Own a SB company.

Step 2. There is no step 2.

chrisw said:

Yes, by position trading using them.

Eek :eek: (hides under desk in embarassment for a) using SBs and b) admitting to being an uncool position trader rather than hustling in the cut and thrust!).

To be fair, they do work well for position trading and in my experience there is a big difference in the degree to which you get shafted from one extreme (Finspreads, arghhh) to the other (CMC for forex and IG for stocks - both okay IMO).

As anyone who has seen my previous posts knows that I am critical of the SB companies and Capital Spreads in particular recently. I must add though that I do consistantly make profits trading forex with them.

It is a well established fact that you cannot scalp trades with them as the trade highlighted by chrisw makes clear because of the way the bias flips.

I only trade for 4 hours per day 2 AM and 2 PM and a maximum of four trades per day. I'm finished for today and in the first week of June my profit has been 163 pips or 32.6 pips per day.

I missed one entry that I would normally have taken which would have added 23 pips to that and the failure of speedy execution of stops by CS cost me another 15.

I have no wish to defend them as I do not think they are very professional in either platform or customer service but the advantages when you are profitable can be useful.

You just have to play the game accordingly and one thing I have lost a lot of money trying to do with them is scalp so I no longer do so. My average trade runs for 60-80 mins and I look for anything between 20 and 60 pips profit. My stops start out at anywhere between 15 and 30 pips and I trail them up to breakeven when I let the trade run its course.

If anyone does make a profit by scalping the odd few pips here and there with them then I take my hat off to you!

Ripcord said:
As anyone who has seen my previous posts knows that I am critical of the SB companies and Capital Spreads in particular recently. I must add though that I do consistantly make profits trading forex with them.

It is a well established fact that you cannot scalp trades with them as the trade highlighted by chrisw makes clear because of the way the bias flips.

I only trade for 4 hours per day 2 AM and 2 PM and a maximum of four trades per day. I'm finished for today and in the first week of June my profit has been 163 pips or 32.6 pips per day.

I missed one entry that I would normally have taken which would have added 23 pips to that and the failure of speedy execution of stops by CS cost me another 15.

I have no wish to defend them as I do not think they are very professional in either platform or customer service but the advantages when you are profitable can be useful.

You just have to play the game accordingly and one thing I have lost a lot of money trying to do with them is scalp so I no longer do so. My average trade runs for 60-80 mins and I look for anything between 20 and 60 pips profit. My stops start out at anywhere between 15 and 30 pips and I trail them up to breakeven when I let the trade run its course.

If anyone does make a profit by scalping the odd few pips here and there with them then I take my hat off to you!

I hear you. While I feel that only a lunatic would be willing to (or even capable of) scalping FX or indices profitably (or pretty much any SB market, come to it...), a good position trade can be profitable. As you say, you've made decent money off this in the past, so have I myself - but not ever by scalping!

I'm not one to go goggle-eyed at the monitor from 7am to 9pm and trade 40-50 times per day. I'll trade 1-2 times per day if that. Also, I don't currently plan going over a few pounds per point, as I'm not keen on showing up on radar with the SB company. Few pounds here, few there..... slow but steady. :cool:

Jack o'Clubs said:
Yes, by position trading using them.

Eek :eek: (hides under desk in embarassment for a) using SBs and b) admitting to being an uncool position trader rather than hustling in the cut and thrust!).

To be fair, they do work well for position trading and in my experience there is a big difference in the degree to which you get shafted from one extreme (Finspreads, arghhh) to the other (CMC for forex and IG for stocks - both okay IMO).

I made very good money during the last financial year through spreadbetting and saved on CGT. It was without any debate, the cheapest way of trading for me. I´ve had no problems with the way they treated me, thankfully.

To keep my post balanced, I´ve had my pants taken down recenlty. But rather than blame the SB company, it´s clear that it´s a combination of the markets and my inabilities that caused this.

Until my first hand experience says otherwise, I have no interest in any other method.

(Runs and hides from the shame of being a spread better :eek: )

UTB

the blades said:
(Runs and hides from the shame of being a spread better :eek: )

UTB

Cue McCarthyite interrogation scene: - "Are you now, or have you ever engaged in spreadbetting....." :cheesy:

Rather than complaining perhaps you could play them at their own game.

There are enough loopholes in spread betting systems that allow you to make profit consistently.

trader_dante said:
There are enough loopholes in spread betting systems that allow you to make profit consistently.

:eek:

remind me again what they are ?... :)

TheBramble said:
More or less, yes.

But keep your account open with the minimum you need to, to maintain your data feed from them, while searching for a direct access platform or broker more in line with your current trading needs.

Keeping tabs on the SBs as they haul their prices around relative to the underlying is another useful information source. They're not stupid. Use them.

Who do you use Bramble for direct access and no rip off's, also required to take stop and limit orders all online? I am interested to hear as I am done with SB's

I feel i must comment here on some of the rather strange statements made.

To believe that we have time or the inclination to 'bias' our prices is frankly laughable we take trades all the time in thousands of markets and most positions/trades would not even register. To compare our 'live tradeable' prices with a company who only produce charts on which you cannot actually trade is ridiculous. Our prices come direct from the real market bank feeds exchange feeds etc. If we quoted 1 or 2 pips too high/low our big players who trade in 100's of pounds a point would come in and slaughter us.

The arguments over the FTSE prices will go on forever. YES the price is 'our price' because there is NO SUCH THING AS THE FTSE100 SPOT/CASH PRICE as you cannot actually trade in it. You can only trade in its 'derivative' which is the FTSE future. if you look at a chart for the FTSE 100 index on a tick by tick basis you will see that it only updates 4 times a minute whereas the Futures can change more times than that in a second. This means that the index will nearly always have a higher-low and a lower-high on the exchange charts than on a spread betting platform. BUT if you overlay 'Our Quote' chart on the cash market versus the exchange chart for the Futures market you will see that they will match price action for price action. Please remember that if our charts show a low at a price then ipso facto we were also offering the other side of the spread for a buyer. We have many instances of clients 'buying' below the exchange chart low and selling above the high.

and other comments etc ... Yes we were down last week (thankfully in a quiet period) for about 20 mins I notice that in the last six months EUREX CBOT LIFFE LSE Japan SE IG Cityindex Finspreads etc etc have also had their systems go down usually for much longer than us. We use currenex, easynet, crossfire(direct access) etc etc for hedging and they also go down, usually at the worst possible times so we have redundancy with secondary access points so that if there is a problem on one we go to another. A sensible trader will have several accounts with various providers and if he wants to get in(or out) of a position he/she will trade on a different platform if his/her regular one is out and sort out the mismatch at a later date with a later trade.

simon

Simon,

You're really one of a kind! I like your straight forward and knowledgeable posts!

Would I be better off switching from Fins to you. I bet that you don't offer 'market price' at the moment?!

Cheers,

Hung