From SB to IB?

peedee

341 0
Iv'e had a bit of a play around with IB TWS demo, and stopped being lazy, and have found that it does seem to become clearer the more you look into it, but not that clear! There are a few things i'd like to know about the demo. I made a couple of trades one being NQ( Nas100futs, i hope )on the globex exchange and the other was YM, i think it was ECBOT, not to sure off the top of my head. One thing i noticed was they both offered LMT trades immediately and not MKT is this the norm and is it up to you to change this. The other thing was when i looked later at my trades it listed a hell of a lot of trades that i had not made. Is this something to do with the demo, i deleted all the other pages and have only got a U.S. Futs page now, i hope this will correct any problems, or is the demo rubbish or the more likely, is it me. Any advice will be much appreciated, thanks, PeeDee...P.S. hope this all makes sense!

oatman

2,879 22
Demo is just that. You're probably better off removing all the cr*p, and then adding back what you need. Get a page set up that you like.
It gets you used to hitting the right buttons. Nothing more.

Trader333

8,613 939
On the real IB platform you can set your own defaults, so for example if you want your order to default to a market rather than a limit order then this can be done.

One other tip is that you can set out the order in which the columns are displayed. You would be well advised to move the "Transmit" column farther to the right than it is in the default setting. The reason for this is that quite a few people have accidently hit the transmit function when meaning to do something else. If it is away from the other columns this is much less likely.

Paul

oatman

2,879 22
I'll tell you something, hitting that "T" button at the wrong time doesn't half make you concentrate on the market :cheesy:

rossored

2,103 54
www.ninjatrader.com

In my opinion, its fantastic.

Choose instrument, strategy (which enters both stops and targets at the same time you enter the position), and click buy or sell. You can have auto-reverse at stops and targets if you want, trailing stops etc etc (OK Skim, maybe there is a little bit of fear there, but I'm still a relative newbie! :cheesy: )

Yes I do still confirm that the orders have gone through correctly in TWS when I open and close a position, because I dont trust ANY software these days, but personally it makes it easier for me to do, and Ninja takes up less space on my desktop than TWS.

Obviously I've printed this screenshot on a saturday morning and as such its not connected to TWS so there arent any numbers, but you get the idea.

For $30 a month I think its a steal (no, I'm not connected in any way with ninja, I just think its brilliant).

Attachments

• ninja.gif
    ninja.gif
    69.5 KB · Views: 307

Skimbleshanks

2,325 16
rossored:

It's quite OK (good, in fact) to have stops in the market - I was just talking about peeps who say that they need to have a stop in place within a second of placing a trade in case it goes against them. That is the fear element - one second without a stop!

Their fear is based on the fact that they do not know or trust their system sufficiently well, know they cannot trust themselves to exit a trade manually but wait to be stopped out, and have a fear of being wiped out by a spike which happens once in a blue moon.

If you are trading within your 2% (or whatever) money management strategy, then you will know that you cannot possibly be wiped out if you lost an Internet connection, if IB went down, or if the exchange was bombed.

It's exactly the same with the fear of flying - everyone concentrates on the fact that airplanes have been known to fall out of the sky. They don't concentrate on the fact that they are more likely to be killed by a horse than by flying. :D

peedee

341 0
Mmm, is Ninjatrader frontend( i think that's the right term ), if it is i'm not to keen, it's like overlay software to TWS and from what i can gather if things go pear shaped nobody is liable. Or is this being over precautious, i don't know, i thought the hard part about trading was getting your technique right not choosing your trading platform. But anyway thanks peeps!

peedee

341 0
I'd like to use trailing stops on IB, but they seem to give a bit of warning towards these. Does anybody use them without any problems?

peedee

341 0
The other thing was, if i click on 'orders' then click 'close all positions' does this close all positions automatically or not? Cheers, PeeDee!

Mgste

7 1
Have been trading TMS simulator through IB and am now ready to trade for real. I will be trading e-mini SP. I need clarification with following: Are all e-mini SP trades made in dollars at a base of $5 a contract or is it possible to trade through IB in sterling per contract and if so what sterling value per contract. Hope you can help
Regards
Peter

rossored

2,103 54
Er...I think you might have your wires crossed a bit.

First off, ES doesnt trade in $5 values : its $50 per full point ( i.e $12.50 per 0.25 / point )

YM (dow future) trades in $5 multiples, however.

All trades are made in dollars and IB convert them back to the currency in your trading account as you close the positions. I'm pretty sure its not possible to trade in sterling - after all, you are trading the US markets.

sidinuk

Established member
624 5
mgste,

The emini s&p500 (ES) is a standardised contract. Check out CME.COM for more details. Basically it trades at $50 per point or $12.50 per tick (0.25 pts). Of course, you can trade more than one contract at a time.

The sterling value of the contract changes with the exchange rate, there's nothing we can do about that, unfortunately!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock