Forex trading in pharmaceutical company?

paszkman

Guest Author
A query to forex experts in T2W land..
Recently an Italian pharmaceutical company (REC.MI) advertised a job for financial market analyst, asking specifically for people who have experience with Bloomberg terminal..
To me this sounds quite unusual that a pharma company would require somebody with bloomberg experience to manage currency risk - could it be a sign that they are moving outside of their circle of competence?

Shrinking profit margins in pharma,
they may be seeking some new investment opportunities either in the money markets or
in the emerging markets......
get the profits from their drugs while making some cash off their financial markets too

.........I am a financial analyst

A company I may (or may not) work for turned over 57 billion US dollars in 2012 .....so they do tend to keep an eye on forex ...yes

N

Last edited:
.........I am a financial analyst

A company I may (or may not) work for turned over 57 billion US dollars in 2012 .....so they do tend to keep an eye on forex ...yes

N

Ok, keep an eye on forex is one thing..but having a dedicated staff with a bloomberg terminal? not overkill?

Ok, keep an eye on forex is one thing..but having a dedicated staff with a bloomberg terminal? not overkill?

Why not.... Could be many reasons... From futures contracts for procurement of raw materials to probably offsetting any fees for large bank transactions.. And maybe they do want to foray into the world of speculative trading as well... Who knows.

A query to forex experts in T2W land..
Recently an Italian pharmaceutical company (REC.MI) advertised a job for financial market analyst, asking specifically for people who have experience with Bloomberg terminal..
To me this sounds quite unusual that a pharma company would require somebody with bloomberg experience to manage currency risk - could it be a sign that they are moving outside of their circle of competence?

Nah doesn't sound unusual to me at all.

With so many international orders they will be hedging risk across a complex basket of currencies and probably even doing a daily risk report with manual annotation. FER teams are very common at large companies with the usual trade execution capabilities you would expect on a floor except on a smaller scale.

Wouldn't advise it unless it was just as a way in though - job won't scale up for obvious reasons and no participation bonus.