Forex "Pin" Bars

Nice n tight

dont know if its a pin bar but GBPJPY should kick ass off 210.00 for the next few hours ? Anticipate some phat up norf. :) bloody fridays, do my nut in..

good luck everyone.

mmmm snarly day but 210.00 held, anticipate continuation north of 211.00 first session next week I think......(y)

two pinbars on the last hourly candles from friday,experienced opinions would be apreciated

Attachments

• pinbars2.gif
    pinbars2.gif
    27 KB · Views: 205
  • pinbars3.gif
    pinbars3.gif
    28.8 KB · Views: 255
Hi guys,

Just a general comment, but I feel people on here are trying to trade every single PB that occurs, rather than strictly applying the techniques shown to us by T_D.

I'm not trying to knock anyone, it's more of a general point.

Are traders here actually drawing the major S/R points on the daily & hourly charts first; and then waiting for the price action to come to them?

Certainly, I'm not trying to be critical; it's just that there's mulitple pin-bar citings being posted here which aren't exactly paved with gold...

As T_D has shown us in his thread, this method can make generous pips/ticks. So it's surprising, the results are such a mixed-bag.

However, I do accept most of us are new to this system - and possibly, some of that subset are new to trading per se; so mistakes come with the territory.

It's so, so difficult to control your emotions when faced with a concept that can genuinely help people achieve financial independence - I think that's why people are possibly failing using the PB approach.

Aplogies for sounding harsh - I just felt it needed to be said....

It's just my $0.02 - what I'm trying to do with this post is kick-start a constructive discussion on the application of T_D's concepts.

Thank you for reading - and I hope we can all make a nice few pound of the strategy.

VS

VS I think you have made a good observation and I'm glad you have said it.

I am also guilty of posting a 'Pin Bar' without doing all the necessary analysis first. What I was doing was looking for a typical good looking Pin bar and then posting it here so others were aware of it with the assumption that they would then do further analysis.

This got me to start thinking what this forum is about or what do we all want it to be about. Should we only post Pin bars after we are sure it satisfies all the criteria or are we trying to alert others to the presence of potential pin bars? I guess the problem is that there are so many markets to scan so it is useful to have many of us letting each other know about potential PB's and then we can chose if we are interested to follow them up.

VS as you have correctly pointed out the method TD showed us is the draw your S/R lines etc. first and wait for the market to come to you but I suppose we have been doing it the other way around. Is this the only way we should do it? Is it OK to identify PB's first and then check the criteria thoroughly before trading??

Guys I'm just thinking out aload here so please don't shoot me down. Lets collectively decide what we want out of this thread bearing in mind the way TD has shown us and also what VS has said above.

Leon

Has anybody been monitoring NZD/USD?

May be worth keeping an eye on it on Monday.
See attached chart. On Friday it very nearly got to the previous high which was reached in July 2007. if this high is rejected again we may see quite a sharp fall. Look at the Pin Bar that formed on 24 July. Wish I new about Pin Bars then!!

If anybody else is watching this I would be interested to hear what your views are.
Well lets see what happens when the market opens.

Ljr

Attachments

• nzdusd.gif
    nzdusd.gif
    25 KB · Views: 250
Excellent points guys. For me personally, i tend to get a bit carried away as soon as I see a pin bar and don't pay as much attention as I should to analysing the other factors. This is a discussion forum though and I often post with the hope that others will comment on the observation. I'll try and employ a little quality control on my posts in the future!

Hi guys,

Just a general comment, but I feel people on here are trying to trade every single PB that occurs, rather than strictly applying the techniques shown to us by T_D.

I'm not trying to knock anyone, it's more of a general point.

Are traders here actually drawing the major S/R points on the daily & hourly charts first; and then waiting for the price action to come to them?

Certainly, I'm not trying to be critical; it's just that there's mulitple pin-bar citings being posted here which aren't exactly paved with gold...

As T_D has shown us in his thread, this method can make generous pips/ticks. So it's surprising, the results are such a mixed-bag.

However, I do accept most of us are new to this system - and possibly, some of that subset are new to trading per se; so mistakes come with the territory.

It's so, so difficult to control your emotions when faced with a concept that can genuinely help people achieve financial independence - I think that's why people are possibly failing using the PB approach.

Aplogies for sounding harsh - I just felt it needed to be said....

It's just my $0.02 - what I'm trying to do with this post is kick-start a constructive discussion on the application of T_D's concepts.

Thank you for reading - and I hope we can all make a nice few pound of the strategy.

VS

Hey Guys,

Excellent post from Vince.

I've been keeping an eye on this thread and it does seem like a real mixed bag of results with just as many wins being met by losses from what I've seen.

When I first heard about pin bars over on J16 I thought it was the key to riches. I just scanned charts for pin bars and when I found them I did a quick bit of TA. The problem with doing things this way round is that the pin bar is a DIRECT SIGNAL to enter so once you've seen it you start thinking you should get in the market and if you're not careful you fit the market to the signal.

In the beginning I would see a pin bar and find myself saying: "right I'll draw a fib from the previous swing high...hmm the pin bar comes near to the 38...not bad...fib from next swing high...hmmm nothing there...but this is a bullish pin bar so I must be overlooking something...ahhh now if I fib from a high...well thats not a actual high but actually if I fib from there anyway it hits the 50. Now let's look for support/resistance pivots. Hmm there aren't any key ones...mind you, if you take those previous lows then that does kind of form..."

You get the point.

Overall I just lost money only at a slightly slower rate than previously.

I felt disillusioned. Then I realised that if you do your TA first and wait for the price action to come to you, you get more confidence. The reason you get this is because you have the levels on your chart that you think the market will turn at. Sometimes you have them on there weeks before the market reaches them. When it does and it hits them and it bounces and it forms a pin bar you get CONFIDENCE because the market has CONFIRMED your TA.

When I started doing this, I never looked back. I turned around £200 into around £4,000 in 6 months. That's not an incredible monetary sum but it was good enough to get me hired doing this professionally because it was done over a huge amount of trades not just a few using insane leverage.

It was done taking the best setups and only the best. I wanted to see perfect looking pin bars at pivots WITH fib confluence.

I passed up so many - even ones that were good pins with good supporting factors. I passed them up perhaps because the nose didn't stop AT my pivot but went through it or stalled above it.

When I traded like this my win/loss ratio over hundreds of trades was almost 90%. That is to say, I lost 1 in 10 trades.

Later on, I'll admit I got a bit carried away with the number of wins I was having and the money I was starting to make. I started taking them perhaps if they just had a pivot rather than a pivot and a fib. Basically I started concentrating on the pin bar ITSELF rather than where it occured. And what happened? My win/loss fell to the high 60's. Still good but far off where it could be.

I posted a pin on here myself the other day (GBP/USD) and that actually failed and likely caused the trader that took it to lose money but the point is - I had my levels drawn in, saw the pin and posted it. Unfortunately it was a loser but honestly, if you trade like this, you won't get many losers.

If you do your TA first you will start realising that setups like inside bars work just as well. Pin bars, inside bars and many other setups are just the market tipping its hand that it is about to move but its just the icing. You have to have the cake first.

Last edited:
I think it makes more sense if we only post pin-bars that have hit previously drawn S/R pivots & fibs.

Otherwise, we'll end up filling the thread with signals that don't satisfy the "high probability edge" that this system is using.

On a more general note, I'm glad that everyone took on board my attempt at constructively changing the thread's direction.;)

Has anybody been monitoring NZD/USD?

May be worth keeping an eye on it on Monday.
See attached chart. On Friday it very nearly got to the previous high which was reached in July 2007. if this high is rejected again we may see quite a sharp fall. Look at the Pin Bar that formed on 24 July. Wish I new about Pin Bars then!!

If anybody else is watching this I would be interested to hear what your views are.
Well lets see what happens when the market opens.

Ljr

That july 2007 pin-bar would certainly have been nice to have had a piece of!!

The confluence with your previously drawn resistance line (can't tell if it's also a support without looking at the whole historica data-set) was perfect.

And lo-and-behold, serious pips were there for the taking...

Nzd/usd

Ljr/Vince,

Pin formed on the hourly at midnight last night. I was not up so missed it. Hope someone got on board. On my chart only 19 pips of risk, plus spread etc. At 8.30 am this morning already 50 pips to the good.

Glen

Ljr/Vince,

Pin formed on the hourly at midnight last night. I was not up so missed it. Hope someone got on board. On my chart only 19 pips of risk, plus spread etc. At 8.30 am this morning already 50 pips to the good.

Glen

I have been watching this but also missed the Pin last night. Will see if another entry point shows up or maybe the high will be tested again.

Any of you guys have any supporting factors for that pin (nzd/usd) on your charts? Didn't show any SR or the like on mine.

TD,

Ok, cheers. Thanks for that advice. Would have have considered the pin and taken it? What would have your reasons been?

Glen

I personally wouldn't have taken that. It was too close too the swing high from late July.

You've had solid resistance coming into this area on the daily which makes it even more key.

When resistance levels like these go, they tend to go hard and the market moves with momentum. Since the level had been broken to the upside when the bar formed, I wouldn't feel comfortable going short because essentially that is trying to stem the tide.

A pin at all time highs on the hourly is much less reliable than a pin at all time highs on the daily.

Have to agree with T_D here.

Remember, one hour charts contain a huge amount of whipsaw "noise".

Daily bars on the otherhand, are the amalgamation of 24hrs worth of 1HR bars; because they are based on a much greater data-set, they are reflect the overall thrust of the previous day's trading & thus, are less susceptible to short, random movements.

The higher the TF, the more reliable the data.

It's getting to the stage with my charting where I don't even bother drawing S/R pivots & fibs on my hourly charts; I do all my technical analysis in advance on the daily TF...

...and then let the market come to me.

And when it eventually does (and it always will, if you're patient enough), I take my broker's money.

Analyse. Wait. Execute......& Profit.

Have to agree with T_D here.

Remember, one hour charts contain a huge amount of whipsaw "noise".

Daily bars on the otherhand, are the amalgamation of 24hrs worth of 1HR bars; because they are based on a much greater data-set, they are reflect the overall thrust of the previous day's trading & thus, are less susceptible to short, random movements.

The higher the TF, the more reliable the data.

It's getting to the stage with my charting where I don't even bother drawing S/R pivots & fibs on my hourly charts; I do all my technical analysis in advance on the daily TF...

...and then let the market come to me.

And when it eventually does (and it always will, if you're patient enough), I take my broker's money.

Analyse. Wait. Execute......& Profit.

Outstanding.

If you do this you cannot fail to profit over time.

Vince/TD,

Once again some fantastic advice. I'm definitely taking it on board. However my inexperience does show through. One of the most difficult things i am having to overcome is myself. When presented with a possible opportunity the instinct is to go for it but i need to analyse it and be more patient.

A few weeks back I added another couple of columns into TD's spreadsheet with a final "Am i being patient enough?" the final box i need to tick before making the trade.

Now i just need to follow the great advice out there.

Cheers,

Glen