Pin Bars on the Weekly charts of Equities

Closed ANW for 0.7 R loss.

Entered two long trades at close : TDY and DuPont, will post charts in a bit . Stop moved to breakeven on PRI

DuPont stop loss 74.56, target 2R/79.90 bullish engulfing bar closed over resistance , positive macd divergence .

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    73.7 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Entry on TDY, same as DuPont . Stop loss 124.80, target 2R/ 138.50

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    163.2 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
New short setup on MAT, entry 2723, stop 2885, target 2385

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    85.7 KB · Views: 210
So far the scorecard of these trades are:

3 wins (average 1.67R)
6 losses (average 0.68R)
2 breakevens

11 trades is not a huge sample size, but it's pretty clear that the win rate thus far is low compared to to losing or breaking even.

Given profitability is a balance between win rate and risk reward, I have decided from now on to impose a strict minimum of 2:1 risk:reward.Previously I didn't like the idea of blindly taking 2:1 as it almost seemed cliched, but in this case I believe it to be a necessity given a low win rate.

Sell limit order on MIDD, nice pin bar with MACD divergence. entry 140.95, stop 147.10, target 127.45 (2.2R)

Attachments

• midd.png
    midd.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 278
Entering a couple of new setups.

1) Long PII- bullish outside bar, close over trend line/ head and shoulders pattern. Entry 90.20, stop 84.34, target 101.92 (2R)

2) Long SYMC: similar to TDY/PRI, bullish outside bar, strong uptrend. entry 29.54, stop 28.37, target 31.94 ( 2R)

Attachments

• pii.png
    pii.png
    95.4 KB · Views: 269
  • symc.png
    symc.png
    90.2 KB · Views: 290
Sell limit order on MIDD, nice pin bar with MACD divergence. entry 140.95, stop 147.10, target 127.45 (2.2R)

Yellen give the go ahead for another bull leg it seems , order filled here. I find it amazing how markets just continue to defy what we would expect fundamentally . Text books tell us rising interest rates are a bearish macroeconomic sign. I guess 0.25 rise was expected and the markets thought it was fine

Closing buy limit on SYMC- its moved too far from the original entry that it would be catching a falling knife rather than a quick pullback . Remaining in MIDD and PII.

no new setups this week

Stopped out on PII -1R

-0.7R overall.

New setup on ACN:bearish outside bar close under two swing highs , entry short on a pullback (entry 120.68) stop loss 125.28, target 111.46

Attachments

• acn short.png
    acn short.png
    183.7 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Just thought i'd chime in here.

it's been around six months since I started this journal, and I have been creamed by the market averages. The purpose here is not to demonstrate a profitable approach but instead to give myself some simulated experience, a sample population of trades to reflect on come year end.

I am not a profitable trader but merely sticking with this approach, refining it until I see consistent gains and then slowly funding an account :) . But still some time left - 6 months until the 'trading year' ends for me .

It takes a lot of time to become competent at a single approach in trading. It definitely requires a feedback loop of trial and error. Trading weekly charts is a very slow feedback cycle: a scalper has 20 trades a day, I would have 20 trades a year, etc. So , grinding through this chopping up and down, win some lose some, is vitally important for me imo.

Hello 1rish,

I have only looked at this one page and can see you have taken a lot of trades against the longer term trend.
It made me wonder how trading with the longer term trend effects your win/lose ratio?

Hello 1rish,

I have only looked at this one page and can see you have taken a lot of trades against the longer term trend.
It made me wonder how trading with the longer term trend effects your win/lose ratio?

That's a fair point , you are right on that one lol. And the trades that have won have been with the trend funny enough !

Again, something I'll have to look at once the year is finished , then establish some rules around what I do well and what I don't !