Forex charts

Edinburgh Bear

Hi,
I'm new to forex trading and I'm looking to find a web-site that has free charts I can access.
For stocks I use bigcharts.com. I found this excellent when first starting. Is there anything similar for forex?

Hi EB

Take a look at www.fxstreet.com and also www.dailyfx.com

These sites are fine for someone who is just starting out and getting used to how datafeeds work etc. However, I strongly advise you to be wary about making technical based judgements on free charts.

If you use Bigcharts, then use them! eg type in symbol cur_eurusd or cur_gbpusd etc.
regards, G McA

If you go to cmsforex.com, you can download their trade station. Excellent free charts.

MetaTrader 4 shows volume for forex charts.
Where do they get this info from and is it reliable to trade from?
If there is no one central market for forex, then this volume must be only part of the total volume traded.

GJ

no doubt, inparticular for the longer-term position holder, so its not all doom and gloom, and I also started out on free charts myself.

Camelot

Iam not so sure, I would assume its likely to be the sum total of the broker's order's they recieve whilst the charts are being broadcast. I would guess that this is along the lines of using the volume from one ECN eg. the island book, to determine the overall volume traded for an individual stock. In otherwords not likely to be 100% reliable, but to be honest I really dont know where they get their volume data from, Iam only making a considered guess.

GammaJammer, agree with what you say regarding volume. If charting packages had direct access to EBS volumes then it would give an excellent indication of changes in daily volumes. But I don't think this is the case, maybe someone from one of the chart websites might like to comment.

Netdania - can an individual login and basically have permanent charts setup as required via chartstation, for nix!! or will they eventually come through and say come on fella, stop taking the p*ss

I get Volume!

Dumpster said:
GammaJammer, agree with what you say regarding volume. If charting packages had direct access to EBS volumes then it would give an excellent indication of changes in daily volumes. But I don't think this is the case, maybe someone from one of the chart websites might like to comment.

See picture 5 mins ago!! :cool:

Attachments

• Volume1.jpg
    Volume1.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 5,249
Certainly gives a reasonable indication Zenda. It looks to me like your chart is off a trading platform, which one - I don't recognise it?

This being the case, the volume data is highly likely to reflect business going through that particular platform. Nevertheless, that is probably not a bad reflection of the market

However, the topic of this thread was, I believe, charting packages in general, not merely those available on trading platforms

Thanks GJ, I note you can get them without registering, just seems if you register, it appears as though you can set up charts that you want on a permanent basis, saved on their server. This would alleviate having to redo them every time you go to the site. Anyway, I agree they look excellent as freebies, and better than same netdania charts on FXstreet, which only enables one per page

Zenda's chart shows Visual Trader, available through CMS-Forex. They offer a software demo and a demo account which I am using at the moment. It's very good, with plenty of indicators and a system builder, but the charts can get a bit messy when lots of orders have been placed.

I don't know how VT's volume data is calculated. As you say Dumpster, it's most likely to be a reflection of the business going through that particular platform.