Follow my trades

Bigbusiness

Ive got the back-test covering the dates you mentioned, seems the market was going sideways back then, anyway take a look.

SMK

Attachments

• ftse.doc
    44.5 KB · Views: 407
It looks like it holds up well. The problem with those sideways periods is that it is hard to keep faith in the system when there are lots of trades and not much profit.

Are you thinking of placing trades at the close? That is the only way I can see an EOD system being able to avoid morning gaps.

Your profits look reasonable but don't forget that when trading for real there are lots of other factors that can eat away at the profits. I lke to allow a at least a few points for the spread and any fees, if using rolling cash bets. They make a big difference in the long run.

I think we should have a poll on who prefered the bickering and who didnt-the results would be quite interesting!

Strangely the bickering has helped to bring a bit of order to proceedings. I was a bit worried by some of stockmarketkings answers earlier, but he is now being very straight with us all.
The only warning I would give is that systems such as this one are prone to suffer from the over-fitting fallacy, where several indicators are combined and, by tinkering with the parameters generate great hypothetical profits that will not work in the real world. Therefore it really is essential for SMK to test his system against as many data sets as possible, and hopefully share the honest results with us.
In any event, I wish him the best of luck, and I for one will be following with great interest.

Hi all, ive been looking through many years worth of back-tests, the system allows me to use data from Yahoo finance which is just brilliant. Im not changing any parameters or anything like that, ive simply just created a system of my own using this sofware and its indicators.

I'll try to explain more, the 16 indicators consist of bbi, ita, roc, rsi , cci etc. to name just a few. Each indicator has a percentage thats its gained over the last 6 months (which is updated daily) i follow the indicator with the biggest gain, this means even in sideways markets or other difficult trading times the percentage on the indicators are always changing so i just follow the largest one. Sticking with this there is neva any bad periods, it seems that this is a better system than i first thought

StockMarketKing

Have you checked the data against another source? Some data providers don't have the correct data for back-testing. I use data from here and it matches my intra-day charts.

http://www.eoddata.com

mug2k,
I don't know about the other indices but Yahoo Finances historical data for the Dow does not match the actual intraday data and is therefore useless for back testing.

Quint, why is Yahoo finance historical data useless? aslong as the opening price and the EOD price are correct then i havnt any problem using it for my Dow back-test

Mug2k

mug2k,
If you are only using the EOD price then Yahoo Finance would be fine but you could not work out the intraday drawdowns from their high low figures. The fact that their figures do not match my daily charts makes me less liable to trust their figures for the other indices. Might be worth while checking the site bigbusiness mentioned above to double check.
In any event,good luck,
Quint.

Hi Mug2k,

Long-time member / lurker, first-time poster:

I'm on the fence re. yer system. I sincerely hope things work out for you for the best in 2004.

Only, I have one question - that age old chestnut: If you're so sure about this system then why not keep it to yourself and make a killing, by yourself, gradually adding to your pot and compounding your growth?

I know if I had a 'winning system' I would stay hush and milk the MF to the max'.

Just a thought, but please answer as it's the only doubt I ever have when the piles of 'get rich quick thru trading' crap comes thru the letterbox.

Good luck dude!

Hi Mr Dynamite

Your definately right, I will make a killing from this system and im planning on doing it this year. My only problem being ive just finished University and have absoultly nothing in my trading account. This is the only reason im letting a few people benefit from it (only to help myself get going quickly) I have decided tho, that im not gonna actually sell the system to that many people as it took me allot of hard work and searching to get this system really perfected.

SMK

Hi, yeah im keeping the site going, but only till March 1st. Ive got around 20 people signed up for updates i'll wait and see how many come March. Then i'll decide whats my best option

Mug2k

Errr ... you agreed April 1 as this equates to three months.

March 1 is only two months (the whole of January and the whole of February)

mug2k:

If you really had faith in a) your system and b) your ability to hit a button at the right time, then you would trade your way out of financial straits.

Ages ago I had £15.30 in a SB account, and as a challenge to myself (convinced that if I really was a trader then I'd be able to trade my way out of a paper bag) I traded it up to just over £1,500 - in one month. So if I can, why can't you?