Focus & Discipline

I can understand guys setting up another revenue stream if (when) they've cracked trading, perhaps creating another highly polished professional website dedicated towards a niche part of trading, which will thrive/survive on ad. revenues. I can understand guys who (honestly) set up trading rooms are up front about their motives and set a monthly charge, you can take it, leave it....whatever, but these sophist introductions have a whiff of cultish maniacs, they really get on my tits TBH and if I was making, for example, 30 grand a week the last thing I'd be ar5ed about is sharing with 'web' strangers...:rolleyes:

NOTE: IT's A STOP ORDER

It's a sell stop or buy stop, it was a long article and I didn't proofread it, I tried to edit the post but apparently after so long you can't anymore :(. I will make a video of me doing it in the next week.

Any seasoned trader would know my exact purpose of this. Financial gain? Not at all. I would never run a "trade room" as you call it, or want to start a website, I have enough on my plate including two little mischievous boys. I train everyday in my office and that's enough. I trade out of my own office and have two proteges. One of the most important facets as a trader is having a large community around you as you trade. You always have to be accountable to someone. I realized I got away from this over the past four years being on my own and have decided to get out and communicate on forums and other site. I used to trade in an office with 200 traders that I interacted with everyday before, during, and after work. Having kids I can't live that life style anymore and figured this would be a good way to get some of it back. Although I am accountable to my family I need a peer group again that I am accountable to.

Finally, I am giving some of my insight because one thing that happens when you do is you learn from others both more experienced and less. From the more experienced maybe a new way of looking at something, from the less reminders of the pitfalls in trading and what can occur. As a trader you should constantly be learning. I have been at this for 10 years and 3 months now, and not a day has gone by where I haven't learned something. That's all, enough its 2 a.m. on Saturday and I am getting up in 6 hours to go skydiving for the first time in my life. (y) Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

By the way, anyone have a good site they would recommend to play chess on? Believe it or not, but in the interview of my first trading job my boss made me play chess against him, hooked ever since. I think its a game all traders should pick up.

Last edited:
Play other people here of all abilities

Online Chess - RedHotPawn.com

I don't play on here myself but an old friend of mine does. Think he's rated about 1600-1700 and is pretty good. I struggle to move from 1200. Tactically I'm ok but my end game is rubbish, let's me down badly.

Good thread btw - keep it going.

Any seasoned trader would know my exact purpose of this. Financial gain? Not at all. I would never run a "trade room" as you call it, or want to start a website, I have enough on my plate including two little mischievous boys. I train everyday in my office and that's enough. I trade out of my own office and have two proteges. One of the most important facets as a trader is having a large community around you as you trade. You always have to be accountable to someone. I realized I got away from this over the past four years being on my own and have decided to get out and communicate on forums and other site. I used to trade in an office with 200 traders that I interacted with everyday before, during, and after work. Having kids I can't live that life style anymore and figured this would be a good way to get some of it back. Although I am accountable to my family I need a peer group again that I am accountable to.

Finally, I am giving some of my insight because one thing that happens when you do is you learn from others both more experienced and less. From the more experienced maybe a new way of looking at something, from the less reminders of the pitfalls in trading and what can occur. As a trader you should constantly be learning. I have been at this for 10 years and 3 months now, and not a day has gone by where I haven't learned something. That's all, enough its 2 a.m. on Saturday and I am getting up in 6 hours to go skydiving for the first time in my life. (y) Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

By the way, anyone have a good site they would recommend to play chess on? Believe it or not, but in the interview of my first trading job my boss made me play chess against him, hooked ever since. I think its a game all traders should pick up.

This 100% worked for me ...
My trading really only became profitable when I got a mentor that I was accountable to.
My trading returns increased exponentially when I got a blog and invited a few people to view it. My friend KiteJedi started one at the same time and we both agreed that it makes a HUGE difference.
If all home traders had risk managers in their home offices not nearly as many would fail. Discipline does not come easily to most (including me) and anything you can do to help it is a huge benefit.

Have you any idea how many times this 'stuff' has been posted before?

Not just here but on other forums? For example, the section highlighted below can be found (with a touch of editing 'skills') on 3 or 4 other sites I know of, Googling a section of it would bring back hundreds of thousands of results...

You bring nothing new, other than a slightly better than average logo and at some stage you'll ask for money. I thought you'd leave us with a; 'look what I'm doing today' aspirational idea...you didn't let me down, skydiving indeed :rolleyes:

Your nauseating and amateurish use of NLP/psycho babble may fool the gullible, but you're treading a path thousands of others have trampled over.

Get to the point, ask for money and tell folk how much you'll charge for your signals or whatever...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post is not intended to teach how to just become a better trader, but how to achieve greatness and all the goals and aspirations you have in life.

With that said, I am not a guru of discipline. It’s a virtue that takes constant work and self evaluation. I believe I am good teacher of how to obtain discipline, because I went from having very little to a level that I feel few others ever achieve.

I am going to discuss the mistakes I learned from and some tools you can use to help improve your discipline. No matter what your starting point is, Discipline is something you can always work on.

I believe that the most happy people in life are disciplined individuals, and I know this from personal experience. Discipline brings us health in terms of our relationships, reaching goals, wealth and much more. You can be happy in life with mediocre discipline, I know, I had this for a long time. We can be loved, do well at our work, and be happy with our family. That is if mid-level wealth, mid-level knowledge, and mid-level happiness are acceptable to us, and for many it may be. I assume since you are reading this lesson that your not one of those people.
Think of one of the greatest people you know personally, I doubt that person is a mediocre person.

For practice write down characteristics of this person and how they influenced your life.

Now think or take a look at how many people you know like this person, probably one or two, in any case not many. My answer would be a group of people, it would be the immigrant factory worker that moved to the United States over a 100 years ago, more simply put my grandparents generation. This generation saw some of the most difficult times in the history of the world. With depressions, wars, and famine that people in my generation have very little understanding of. They could have folded in and gave up when faced with adversity. They refused to accept the status quo, and as a result impacted the lives of their children and my generation. They did what their hearts told them, despite the obstacles, sorrow, distractions and fear. This required a great discipline in many assets of their life: work, family, positive outlook, faith, and a refusal to give up. As a result they reaped the rewards and as did the people around them and the generations to come.

Every accomplishment by our heroes required some human characteristic. Einstein for his theory of relativity, Michael Jordan for his athleticism and domination of basketball, Martin Luther King Jr. for his advances in anti-segration. The list goes on and on. Most would believe that these people were born with these characteristics, but this is false. Some may start at a different level than others, but they reached these levels through discipline and constant self evaluation. Plain and simple.

Black Swan,
If you don't like this thread that's fine don't read it. I am not here to pitch a product or a service, as I don't have any to offer and never will.

Knight, thanks for the info....as a new trader I have gotten a lot of encouragement from your posts. Keep up the good work...

Good thread. Pretty much everything shared here is written in Trading In The Zone. And you won't get far with focus & discipline if you don't know nothing about technical analysis.