FINRA Proposed Rule to Establish a Leverage Limitation for Retail Forex

stochastic

FINRA is requesting comment on a proposed rule prohibiting any member firm from permitting a customer to:
(1) initiate any forex position with a leverage ratio of greater than 1.5 to 1; and
(2) withdraw money from an open forex position that would cause the leverage ratio for such position to be greater than 1.5 to 1.

FINRA - Rules and Regulations - FINRA Manual Online

Last edited:
01 Leverage Ratio Example�In order to meet the leverage ratio limitations of Rule 2380(a), a customer must deposit at least 2/3 of the notional value of the forex contract. For example, a customer entering into a forex contact representing $750,000 of a foreign currency must deposit $500,000 to achieve a leverage ratio of 1.5 to 1.
No more retail customers?

Leverage and the great Retail Forex Scam

FINRA is requesting comment on a proposed rule prohibiting any member firm from permitting a customer to:
(1) initiate any forex position with a leverage ratio of greater than 1.5 to 1; and
(2) withdraw money from an open forex position that would cause the leverage ratio for such position to be greater than 1.5 to 1.

FINRA - Rules and Regulations - FINRA Manual Online

Thank you for that link Stochastic. It deserves wider explanation than so far aired.

If traders took their $10k and actually BOUGHT the hard stuff and not the electronic variety as we currently do from the over-the-counter bucket shops, I am certain the oft-quoted "90% of traders" who lose would very quickly fall to less than 30%. In fact I would submit more than 98% of retail forex traders lose.

Here is the text of the FINRA proposal - although the time has expired for submissions, it is very worthy of printing in full:

*******************************************************************************************************

Background and Discussion

The primary foreign currency exchange market is the interbank market, in which commercial banks, central banks, currency speculators, corporations, governments and other institutions trade currencies amongst themselves. This market is an over-the-counter (OTC), decentralized market without any trade reporting or central clearing facility.

In recent years, an electronic, secondary OTC spot contract market has developed for retail customers (retail forex).

The current retail forex regulatory environment is a by-product of the Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000 (CFMA)3 and the CFTC Reauthorization Act of 2008 (Reauthorization Act).4

The CFMA and the Reauthorization Act amended the Commodity Exchange Act (CEA)5 by removing some of the legal uncertainty pertaining to the Commodity Futures Trading Commission's oversight of retail forex activity by permitting only certain enumerated regulated entities to act as counterparties to a retail forex contract.

Specifically, the CEA allows futures commission merchants, retail foreign exchange dealers, financial institutions, broker-dealers and certain other entities to act as counterparty to retail forex contracts.6

Historically, retail forex activity has been concentrated in the futures commission merchant (FCM) channel. Retail forex transactions conducted through a broker-dealer are expressly precluded from CFTC oversight under the terms of the CEA.7

In general, the leverage ratios for retail forex by futures intermediaries were set to be comparable to the leverage ratios for currency futures traded on futures exchanges.

As such, retail forex contracts in the FCM channel commonly have leverage ratios of 100 to 1 or more.

For example, if an investor wishes to purchase $1 million worth of a foreign currency offered with a 100 to 1 leverage, the investor would only need a good faith deposit of $10,000. If the investor deposits only the minimum funds required, and if the value of the foreign currency contract dropped by 1 percent (to $990,000), the account equity would be depleted entirely and the investor's position would be closed out. The investor would lose the entire $10,000 deposit.

In the retail forex market, there is neither any margin call nor any notice for an investor to deposit additional funds to maintain his or her position. As a result, even small intra-day swings in currency rates have the potential to close out investors on either side of the market.

FINRA has observed a potential migration of retail forex activity from the FCM channel to broker-dealers.

To protect investors, FINRA proposes to limit the leverage ratio a broker-dealer can offer to a retail forex customer. FINRA does not believe that high leverage ratios are consistent with its mandate to protect investors. In the securities industry, the initial margin requirement for marginable equity securities is 50 percent, representing a leverage ratio of 2 to 1.8

In addition, there are separate, lower maintenance margin requirements.9 Further, if the current market value of the equity in a securities account drops below the maintenance requirement, the investor would not be immediately closed out, but would receive a "margin call" and have an opportunity to deposit additional funds to keep the position open. FINRA also notes that any funds deposited to maintain a forex position or any account equity derived from a forex position may not be used to purchase securities.

Given the speculative and volatile nature of retail forex activity, FINRA believes the maximum leverage ratio for retail forex should be 1.5 to 1. FINRA also believes a firm should not permit a customer to withdraw money from an open forex position that would cause the leverage ratio for such position to be greater than 1.5 to 1.

Requiring greater initial deposits for retail forex will substantially reduce the likelihood that any small adverse percentage change in the exchange rate of a foreign currency will cause an investor's funds to be wiped out. Moreover, limiting the leverage ratios is intended to reduce the risks of excessive speculation.

****************************************************************************************************

Effectively, FINRA is saying they recognise that the availability of high leverage is the reason retail foreign exchange investors are losing money - they stopped short of coming out and and saying "ripped off" by leverage.

Sure, traders say they understand the risks of their use of leverage. But do they really?

If you asked every trader how to calculate the actual leverage he/she is utilising at any given time, I would suggest 98% would be clueless.

The maths is beyond most traders.

Some traders, granted, have actually gone into this, and I would be willing to wager, that unless the trading method is a short-term scalping method, for example, it is unlikely traders are having success. Yet if the leverage used was lower, allowing for wider stops, the probability of profitability occurring would rise parabolically in step with such decrease in leverage.

Now I can not prove this because I do not have access to the accounts of traders and their trading tactics.

But given the ease at which leverage is offered by bucket shops, it is highly unlikely leverage is used to benefit the trader. What the brokers promote as "the benefits of 200:1 leverage" is actually of benefit to THEM, not the trader.

And it is an interesting statistic that "90% of Retail Forex traders fail".
Kind of matches my guess that "98% of traders do not understand" their use of leveraging tools, to which I would add they have litle understanding of position sizing, trade management, risk management, margin calculation, stop loss calculation, risk:reward calculation, probability of success and so on.

Those traders that DO understand these things will know where I am coming from here.

I am no expert, by the way - I have also failed as a short term trader, and now am entrenched in the camp of the DAILY chart traders, using low leverage - and still confined to demo trading at the moment, until I get my confidence back to go live again ... if ever.

Until then, I remain a dull theorist!

Funny how it took a big whack to the side of the head with a 4 x 2 before I realised I was being duped by my own haste to make money.

But nothing gets my attention like LOSING money!

Just my view.
It seems FINRA is onto it too.

Best wishes

Ingot

Forget FINRA: "A new ruling by the National Futures Association (NFA) goes into effect on 15th May 2009. It deals with the practice of “hedging” by forex traders. In hedging, a forex trader holds both long and short separate positions in the same currency pair at the same time. This practice is termed “Offsetting Transactions” by the NFA and the new Compliance Rule 2-43(b) requires Forex brokers (FDMs - U.S. Forex Dealer Merchants) to offset positions in a customer account on a first-in, first-out basis, thereby prohibiting the trading practice known as “hedging.” A client may, however, direct the US FDM to offset same-size transactions, despite the fact of having older transactions of a different size. This Rule 2-43(b) will be effective for any forex positions established after May 15th, 2009. Offsetting positions established prior to 15th May do not have to be liquidated, but once either position is closed out, it may not be re-established as a hedge. So if a client goes long and short the same pair at the same time, no outright forex position will be created because the US FDM will offset them against each other and no trade will be left open. NFA is the industry organization US forex brokers belong to. The NFA’s effective regulator is the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC).

In the light of these recent events in regard to "hedging" and the proposed amendments whereby no FDM would be allowed to offer more than 100:1 leverage on the major currencies or more than 25:1 leverage on other currencies to clients."

Well U.S. Clients will have to come to regulated brokers in Europe and US brokers will have to buy brokers in Europe so they can keep/ get back their US clients. Sounds like FUN, especially given that there is no regulation of spot forex in Europe and it is full of unregulated and dodgy fly by nights because Zombie banks control Forex in a strong Oligopoly and they do NOT want it regulated for fear of losing their gravy train (charge retail clients 'bank' commissions for currency transfers AND make even more on the spread).
See Investors Europe - Offshore Stockbrokers with online trading platforms for FX, Futures, CFDs, Stocks, ETFs & Spreads: offsetting forex transactions and Investors Europe - Offshore Stockbrokers with online trading platforms for FX, Futures, CFDs, Stocks, ETFs & Spreads: Tax Payers Fest

The reason most traders lose is not because of the margin but rather because:

Thank you for that link Stochastic. It deserves wider explanation than so far aired.

If traders took their $10k and actually BOUGHT the hard stuff and not the electronic variety as we currently do from the over-the-counter bucket shops, I am certain the oft-quoted "90% of traders" who lose would very quickly fall to less than 30%. In fact I would submit more than 98% of retail forex traders lose.

Here is the text of the FINRA proposal - although the time has expired for submissions, it is very worthy of printing in full:

*******************************************************************************************************

Background and Discussion

The primary foreign currency exchange market is the interbank market, in which commercial banks, central banks, currency speculators, corporations, governments and other institutions trade currencies amongst themselves. This market is an over-the-counter (OTC), decentralized market without any trade reporting or central clearing facility.

In recent years, an electronic, secondary OTC spot contract market has developed for retail customers (retail forex).

The current retail forex regulatory environment is a by-product of the Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000 (CFMA)3 and the CFTC Reauthorization Act of 2008 (Reauthorization Act).4

The CFMA and the Reauthorization Act amended the Commodity Exchange Act (CEA)5 by removing some of the legal uncertainty pertaining to the Commodity Futures Trading Commission's oversight of retail forex activity by permitting only certain enumerated regulated entities to act as counterparties to a retail forex contract.

Specifically, the CEA allows futures commission merchants, retail foreign exchange dealers, financial institutions, broker-dealers and certain other entities to act as counterparty to retail forex contracts.6

Historically, retail forex activity has been concentrated in the futures commission merchant (FCM) channel. Retail forex transactions conducted through a broker-dealer are expressly precluded from CFTC oversight under the terms of the CEA.7

In general, the leverage ratios for retail forex by futures intermediaries were set to be comparable to the leverage ratios for currency futures traded on futures exchanges.

As such, retail forex contracts in the FCM channel commonly have leverage ratios of 100 to 1 or more.

For example, if an investor wishes to purchase $1 million worth of a foreign currency offered with a 100 to 1 leverage, the investor would only need a good faith deposit of $10,000. If the investor deposits only the minimum funds required, and if the value of the foreign currency contract dropped by 1 percent (to $990,000), the account equity would be depleted entirely and the investor's position would be closed out. The investor would lose the entire $10,000 deposit.

In the retail forex market, there is neither any margin call nor any notice for an investor to deposit additional funds to maintain his or her position. As a result, even small intra-day swings in currency rates have the potential to close out investors on either side of the market.

FINRA has observed a potential migration of retail forex activity from the FCM channel to broker-dealers.

To protect investors, FINRA proposes to limit the leverage ratio a broker-dealer can offer to a retail forex customer. FINRA does not believe that high leverage ratios are consistent with its mandate to protect investors. In the securities industry, the initial margin requirement for marginable equity securities is 50 percent, representing a leverage ratio of 2 to 1.8

In addition, there are separate, lower maintenance margin requirements.9 Further, if the current market value of the equity in a securities account drops below the maintenance requirement, the investor would not be immediately closed out, but would receive a "margin call" and have an opportunity to deposit additional funds to keep the position open. FINRA also notes that any funds deposited to maintain a forex position or any account equity derived from a forex position may not be used to purchase securities.

Given the speculative and volatile nature of retail forex activity, FINRA believes the maximum leverage ratio for retail forex should be 1.5 to 1. FINRA also believes a firm should not permit a customer to withdraw money from an open forex position that would cause the leverage ratio for such position to be greater than 1.5 to 1.

Requiring greater initial deposits for retail forex will substantially reduce the likelihood that any small adverse percentage change in the exchange rate of a foreign currency will cause an investor's funds to be wiped out. Moreover, limiting the leverage ratios is intended to reduce the risks of excessive speculation.

****************************************************************************************************

Effectively, FINRA is saying they recognise that the availability of high leverage is the reason retail foreign exchange investors are losing money - they stopped short of coming out and and saying "ripped off" by leverage.

Sure, traders say they understand the risks of their use of leverage. But do they really?

If you asked every trader how to calculate the actual leverage he/she is utilising at any given time, I would suggest 98% would be clueless.

The maths is beyond most traders.

Some traders, granted, have actually gone into this, and I would be willing to wager, that unless the trading method is a short-term scalping method, for example, it is unlikely traders are having success. Yet if the leverage used was lower, allowing for wider stops, the probability of profitability occurring would rise parabolically in step with such decrease in leverage.

Now I can not prove this because I do not have access to the accounts of traders and their trading tactics.

But given the ease at which leverage is offered by bucket shops, it is highly unlikely leverage is used to benefit the trader. What the brokers promote as "the benefits of 200:1 leverage" is actually of benefit to THEM, not the trader.

And it is an interesting statistic that "90% of Retail Forex traders fail".
Kind of matches my guess that "98% of traders do not understand" their use of leveraging tools, to which I would add they have litle understanding of position sizing, trade management, risk management, margin calculation, stop loss calculation, risk:reward calculation, probability of success and so on.

Those traders that DO understand these things will know where I am coming from here.

I am no expert, by the way - I have also failed as a short term trader, and now am entrenched in the camp of the DAILY chart traders, using low leverage - and still confined to demo trading at the moment, until I get my confidence back to go live again ... if ever.

Until then, I remain a dull theorist!

Funny how it took a big whack to the side of the head with a 4 x 2 before I realised I was being duped by my own haste to make money.

But nothing gets my attention like LOSING money!

Just my view.
It seems FINRA is onto it too.

Best wishes

Ingot

The reason most traders lose is not because of the margin but rather because it is extremely difficult to find something that works.

Margin calculation

Hi there,
I have a question that sounds maybe stupid (but as you know, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers);), so I asked anyhow.

In the last line of the Metatrader Terminal some information concerning the account are given. Also the Margin, FreeMargin and MarginLevel(%) are given. See image.
My question is now, how the margin is calculated ????
There is a mathematical correlation between the leverage, the lotsize and the open price of the pair. Unfortunately I couldn't figure it out. I'm missing somewhat.

Any help?

Regards

Antomi

Attachments

• Margin.jpg
    Margin.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 310
View Full Notice
Before becoming effective, a proposed rule change must be authorized for filing
with the SEC by the FINRA Board of Governors, and then must be approved by the
SEC, following publication for public comment in the Federal Register.

New NFA Rules Cap the Leverage on Majors and Exotic Currency Pairs

Ada, Michigan, Oct. 15, 2009 – ADA, MICH., Please be advised that the CFTC has recently approved rule-amendments of the U.S. regulatory body, the National Futures Association (NFA), to change the maximum leverage requirements for customers of forex dealer members (FDMS).

The amendments will limit the amount of leverage that can be used to trade what the NFA considers to be “major” and “exotic” currency pairs – to be effective on Nov. 30, 2009. View the new maximum leverage rates here.

For all traders holding a forex account with the U.S. entity Global Futures & Forex, Ltd. (dba GFT), the NFA changes will be implemented on Sunday, Nov. 29, 2009.

“Our customers should be aware of these new NFA requirements, and determine in advance how this may affect their decisions and trading plan,” said Gary L. Tilkin, president and CEO, GFT.

If traders have open positions in these currency pairs at a higher leverage than the new maximum leverage required by the NFA, it will impact their margin requirement for those open positions.

“As always, exercise proper risk management and consider whether you need to deposit additional funds to be adequately capitalized for these new leverage rates, in accordance with your own trading plan,” said Tilkin.

As one option, GFT offers its customers the ability to change their lot sizes (e.g. 10,000, 20,000, etc.), which in addition to being properly capitalized is an alternate choice to trading higher leverage.

“We believe traders should understand how leverage can work both against you and for you, no matter which currencies they choose to trade, and that all traders should have choices to use leverage that is appropriate for his or her risk appetite,” said Muhammad Rasoul, executive vice president and COO, GFT.

GFT customers who reside outside of the US, Japan or Australia also have the choice to trade higher leverage by smoothly and efficiently transferring their current account with their existing account settings to GFT’s U.K. affiliate (GFT Global Markets UK, Ltd.).

“We believe that it’s important for customers to work with a well-capitalized and regulated forex dealer, and we encourage traders to read more details about these regulatory changes on the NFA website,” said Rasoul.
1. What are the new rules about leverage?

The NFA will change the minimum margin requirements for customers of forex dealer members who are trading "major" and "exotic" currency pairs, which will limit the amount of leverage that can be used to trade these currencies.

Depending on your country of residence, going forward you will be trading with leverage of 100:1 on major currencies and 25:1 on exotic currencies. You can view a complete list of currency pairs affected by clicking here.
2. When do these new rules go into effect?

The NFA requirement begins on November 30, 2009. However, in order to help our customers make a smooth transition to the new NFA rules, the new leverage will be effective starting at GFT's open of business hours; 5 p.m. ET on Sunday,
November 29, 2009.
3. Who does this new rule apply to?

This will affect all GFT customers who reside in the US, US territories, Canada, Australia and Japan.

GFT customers who live outside of these regions and hold an account with Global Futures & Forex, Ltd. (dba GFT in the US, Japan and Australian) will also subject to these new leverage requirements but will have the option to transfer their account to our UK subsidiary.
4. Do GFT customers have any other choices if they want to trade higher leverage?