Fibonacci Retracements, Extensions, Overlaps

momothebored

Hello!

(i) General question:
How do you tell which level is likely to be the one to hold (support retracements) or be reached (breakout targets)?

(ii) Fibo Retracements:
So on the way down, you're supposed to calculate supports by using the 0% level at the last top, and 100% at the base of the last move right?

(iii) Fibo overlaps:
How are these used effectively? How long are overlap levels supposed to last?
e.g. in the context of a daily chart, let's say 2 candles have levels that overlap. So... what then? Are they supposed to be stronger than a moving average?

tyvm

red
(i) General question:
How do you tell which level is likely to be the one to hold (support retracements) or be reached (breakout targets)?
the one that worked in hindsight. Thats the marvellous thing about fibonacci. Ok there is a hint of scepticism, but you would have to go down to a shorter timeframe to get a clue for any divergence or CIT at that level

(ii) Fibo Retracements:
So on the way down, you're supposed to calculate supports by using the 0% level at the last top, and 100% at the base of the last move right?
Correct

(iii) Fibo overlaps:
e.g. in the context of a daily chart, let's say 2 candles have levels that overlap. So... what then? Are they supposed to be stronger than a moving average?
You've definitely lost me now

Hello!

(i) General question:
As far as I have been able to ascertain - you can't.

(ii) Fibo Retracements:
If you're using the 100% at the base then your supports are already busted. You could use that to decide where the price might likely retrace to and find resistance, but your guess is as good as anyone else which of the many levels that might be - if any.

(iii) Fibo overlaps:

tyvm
I have no idea what any of this means.

I don't know, I don't use or like fibs.

I'll explain, lots of people call them a self fulfilling prophecy.
That only applies if everyone uses them, they don't.

The only universal truth for everyone, that all can see,
are price levels - Support and resistance, big round numbers etc.
More importantly, how price reacts to those levels.

Everything else is a concoction of arbitrary maths (all indicators).

I don't know, I don't use or like fibs.

I'll explain, lots of people call them a self fulfilling prophecy.
That only applies if everyone uses them, they don't.

The only universal truth for everyone, that all can see,
are price levels - Support and resistance, big round numbers etc.
More importantly, how price reacts to those levels.

Everything else is a concoction of arbitrary maths (all indicators).

An excellent post LV (y)

Hello!

(i) General question:

(ii) Fibo Retracements:

(iii) Fibo overlaps:

tyvm

BY overlaps do u mean confluence areas. If so, i can recommend some reading materials. p.s i generally only use fibs on larger tf

Here is a recent example of USDJPY with the FIbonacci ratios and pattern formation. As I guess, depending on the time frame one is using to trade. One could wait for some bar pattern signal when the price reaches to ratio level to enter or to exit the trade.

Attachments

• $USDJPY (Weekly)  Week 6_2013 - Week 10_2014.jpg
    $USDJPY (Weekly) Week 6_2013 - Week 10_2014.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 238
  • $USDJPY (Daily)  16_12_2013 - 07_03_2014.jpg
    $USDJPY (Daily) 16_12_2013 - 07_03_2014.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 269