Fibonacci Query

mik1973

Having read a number of technical books i thought i could understand the basics of Fibonacci ratios. However, having read www.enthios.com/FibonacciPrimer.htm i have doubts as to whether there is some kind of conflict how these ratios should be recorded. Murphy et al record the ratio changes reading from highest figure (ie 62%)at the bottom working thru to 50 % then on and UP to 38%. The author of the site listed above records the figures in the opposite direction ie recording 38% at the bottom then to 50 and on to 62%. The author also uses abbreviated terms such as MSH-MSL- any ideas what these stand for ?
Thx in advance
Mick

Thx Skim
Can't belive i couldn't work that one out!
You can all stop laughing now!

I pondered on it ages ago, and couldn't find out what it meant - then I finally found it somewhere on the notes accompanying those charts.

When I saw your question I knew why you'd asked it. It's just your lucky day that my brain cells managed to recall the answer! LOL

Hi Skim,
If you've read the notes from the above site have you any idea why the author has recorded the figures from lowest to highest - (rather than highest to lowest - as per murphy et al) .
The more i read my own posts regarding this topic the more confused i seem to be getting. Could you let me know if my query is making any sense!
Cheers
Mick

I don't have a clue I'm afraid. When I said I read the notes, I was lying. I sort-of flicked through them, and I'm desperately trying not to say I skimmed through them.

I now tend to switch off when it comes to fibonacci because I don't use them, although I did ages ago.

Mik1973

The charts you refer to are for price extensions rather than price retracements

Last edited:
Its just a matter of whether you draw the line from top to bottom
or from bottom to top - whether the 100% is at the top or bottom

If you look carefully you will see that Fib numbers are interchangable....

100% - 38.2% = 61.8%
100% - 23.6% = 76.4%

How you draw the lines is dependent on whether you are drawing retracements from a rise or a fall

Selbats/ColinRichie,
Thx for your replies- i guess i was trying to read too much into this - thinking there could only be one standard.
Cheers,
Mick